I'm sad sad sad.....and disappointed

leona2025

Well I used clairol luminize in red. I put it on and processed it like I was suppose to, but I was scared that my hair might fall out so I only put it in places that could be hidden as a sort of test. Well it barely lifted my haircolor and it is sorta red in those places. I put a bright red rinse over, but you can still only see it in the light. I was expecting more color and lighter. I'm thinking about trying Textures and Tones or Hi Rez, but I don't want my hair to fall out.:ohwell: I'm going to wait a few weeks before I decide on a box color.

I used hi-rez color & no, it didn't come up bright until over a few applications of color. I started with Hi Rez Volcano Blaze. HTH.

Are you sure you used the correct Luminize? The one I am familiar with is a professional product, it's clear/has no color or shade and is only meant for lifting. To achieve the desired color you would need to then deposit the shade you want.

Oh, and your hair will not fall out if you utilize the proper products to rebuild and reinforce the hair, paying attention to elasticity/porosity/protein-moisture balance, etc. (JMO) Perhaps if you are not very savvy with how color works, you may want to consult with a colorist, if at least only for advice on how to get the desired shade at home.

Last edited:
Are you sure you used the correct Luminize? The one I am familiar with is a professional product, it's clear/has no color or shade and is only meant for lifting. To achieve the desired color you would need to then deposit the shade you want.

Oh, and your hair will not fall out if you utilize the proper products to rebuild and reinforce the hair, paying attention to elasticity/porosity/protein-moisture balance, etc. (JMO) Perhaps if you are not very savvy with how color works, you may want to consult with a colorist, if at least only for advice on how to get the desired shade at home.

Hi thanks for the advice. It's so hard to find good information and almost everyone has some horror story associated with being relaxed and colored. My hair is in what I believe the best possible condition. It's super strong. I keep it moisturized and conditioned. I don't use a lot of heat. Luminize comes in 4 colors. Gold, Ash, Red, and Clear. I'm not focused on having one particular color, I just want something that actually shows up well indoors too. I'm thinking of trying the Hi Rez color mentioned. They have some nice shades and I don't expect it to be exactly the color on the boxes. How long do you think would be a good amount of time to wait before trying it out? I do use Aphogee 2 minute protein treatment once a week in addition to my moisturizing DCs. Do you think I would need to up that? I use a flat iron 1 time every 2 weeks would that be to much on color treated hair?

Bigdeelight, I see your Trini bracelet girl! I just came on to share the sentiment. It's nothing like getting all excited to do something different to you hair that you KNOW will come out blinging. Then after all of that work, it ain't even blanging. I'm sure you'll get the results you want eventually talking with these seasoned ladies!

To be quite honest, I think you should have lifted with clear up to 2 shades, and then use a semi- or demi-permanent color to get the color you're looking for. To use Luminize and then another high-lift permanent color will quickly take your healthy hair to crap in a short time. But this based on what I know about color. Hair color Guru Tracy does this method to reach desired shades, and becauses rinses are beneficial to hair health over time.

But, if you want to use Hi Rez anyways :nono: I would wait at least 4-6 (make that 8!) weeks. Utilizing a strict deep conditioning (no-to-low heat) regimen the entire time.

Again, I highly recommend you see a colorist and show them what you're looking for. Yes, relaxed hair can colored, but you need to know more than the basics...

Gymfreak, jump in here anytime, since you know a/b reds :look:

Hi thanks for the advice. It's so hard to find good information and almost everyone has some horror story associated with being relaxed and colored. My hair is in what I believe the best possible condition. It's super strong. I keep it moisturized and conditioned. I don't use a lot of heat. Luminize comes in 4 colors. Gold, Ash, Red, and Clear. I'm not focused on having one particular color, I just want something that actually shows up well indoors too. I'm thinking of trying the Hi Rez color mentioned. They have some nice shades and I don't expect it to be exactly the color on the boxes. How long do you think would be a good amount of time to wait before trying it out? I do use Aphogee 2 minute protein treatment once a week in addition to my moisturizing DCs. Do you think I would need to up that? I use a flat iron 1 time every 2 weeks would that be to much on color treated hair?

Bigdeelight, I see your Trini bracelet girl! I just came on to share the sentiment. It's nothing like getting all excited to do something different to you hair that you KNOW will come out blinging. Then after all of that work, it ain't even blanging. I'm sure you'll get the results you want eventually talking with these seasoned ladies!

That's exactly how I felt. I talked to Marbel and even she said it took a couple times of using the clear to get her hair to the color she wanted, but I don't know I had such high hopes, lol.

To be quite honest, I think you should have lifted with clear up to 2 shades, and then use a semi- or demi-permanent color to get the color you're looking for. To use Luminize and then another high-lift permanent color will quickly take your healthy hair to crap in a short time. But this based on what I know about color. Hair color Guru Tracy does this method to reach desired shades, and becauses rinses are beneficial to hair health over time.

But, if you want to use Hi Rez anyways :nono: I would wait at least 4-6 (make that 8!) weeks. Utilizing a strict deep conditioning (no-to-low heat) regimen the entire time.

Again, I highly recommend you see a colorist and show them what you're looking for. Yes, relaxed hair can colored, but you need to know more than the basics...

Gymfreak, jump in here anytime, since you know a/b reds :look:

Although I would like color, I'm not willing to sacrifice my hair health for it. I did do several strand tests on hairs out of my brush and I knew it didn't lift the color too much:wallbash:. I may just try the clear one next time, but I'm not sure. Ok this may sound bad, but pro coloring is just not in my budget right now so maybe I s hould just leave it alone and continue doing the rinses.

Although I would like color, I'm not willing to sacrifice my hair health for it. I did do several strand tests on hairs out of my brush and I knew it didn't lift the color too much:wallbash:. I may just try the clear one next time, but I'm not sure. Ok this may sound bad, but pro coloring is just not in my budget right now so maybe I s hould just leave it alone and continue doing the rinses.

Leona, do you have any pics of the color you are looking for? Maybe we can come up with another way for you to get there.

How exactly did you use the lumanize...what did you mix it with?

Leona, do you have any pics of the color you are looking for? Maybe we can come up with another way for you to get there.

How exactly did you use the lumanize...what did you mix it with?

Thank you for helping I mixed the luminize with the matching developer. lum1.jpg

603084250097_pack.jpg

603084250110_pack.jpg

15940886ManeChic84200885757AM.jpg

603084250073_pack.jpg
I like any dark red color.

I understand where you're coming from. That's the thing about color--it is a big deal, esp. if you want healthy hair too. If you want a big change (2+ shades up), you have to be able to deal with all that comes with it. That's why I play it safe(r) and do darker, not lighter.

Edit: You said you've used rinses before right? How long have you been using them? Sometimes prolonged use of rinses can impede the lifting process (well, it'll just take longer).

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from. That's the thing about color--it is a big deal, esp. if you want healthy hair too. If you want a big change (2+ shades up), you have to be able to deal with all that comes with it. That's why I play it safe(r) and do darker, not lighter.

Edit: You said you've used rinses before right? How long have you been using them? Sometimes prolonged use of rinses can impede the lifting process (well, it'll just take longer).

I have been using red rinses for about 5 months.

Okay, this is what I would do.

Since you used the lumanize, I would use a demi-permanent color in a auburn or lighter brown shade with Clariol Natural Instincts. Then I would apply a rich red rinse to give you the color and depth you want.

That sounds good. I've been hearing a lot about Clairol Natural Instincts:grin:. What rinse would you recommend? Thank you ladies. I'm over here just grinning and so happy. Thanks so much for all the help.

I have been using red rinses for about 5 months.

That sounds good. I've been hearing a lot about Clairol Natural Instincts:grin:. What rinse would you recommend? Thank you ladies. I'm over here just grinning and so happy. Thanks so much for all the help.

Adore makes good cheap rinses. I love their mahogany one. Via also makes good rinses. Either one of those would be fine. Kiss has nice red colors too. I used their cedarwood red one time with great results. I would wait a week inbetween the two and process the rinse for a full 20 minutes.

Adore makes good cheap rinses. I love their mahogany one. Via also makes good rinses. Either one of those would be fine. Kiss has nice red colors too. I used their cedarwood red one time with great results. I would wait a week inbetween the two and process the rinse for a full 20 minutes.

Do you usually use heat with your rinses? I never have...

Sometimes. Usually no. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it since you will be adding a rinse on top of hair that has been chemically prepped to be able to absorb more color.

Gym I was thinking about using 1 of these two natural instinct colors and one of these Clairol rinses what do you think? New question what is the difference between demi-color and a rinse? I've been using Jazzings that's a rinse right? I only ask because on the website it said it's semi-perm color. The last color is Jazzings red hot and that actually showed up pretty well in my normal hair. This is a pic in really bright light before my trim.
4.jpg
7.jpg
frontview4.jpg

20r.jpg

20rb.jpg

cedarredbrown_b14w.jpg

rosewoodbrown_b17w.jpg

redhot_40.jpg

I'll let Gym address your other questions, but a rinse and semi-permanent can be the same. A rinse is essentially temporary color, but if you add heat, it last longer (around 6-8 shampoos), thus making it semi-permanent. A demi-permanent is a color that contains 10 volume developer (low level peroxide) and last anywhere from 16-24 shampoos. The peroxide is just there for deposit (ie, there is no lifting of color). Permanent color is color with 20 volume (peroxide) or higher (depends on the shade), sometimes has ammonia (those relaxed hair MUST avoid), and both lifts/deposits for the desired shade.

I'll let Gym address your other questions, but a rinse and semi-permanent can be the same. A rinse is essentially temporary color, but if you add heat, it last longer (around 6-8 shampoos), thus making it semi-permanent. A demi-permanent is a color that contains 10 volume developer (low level peroxide) and last anywhere from 16-24 shampoos. The peroxide is just there for deposit (ie, there is no lifting of color). Permanent color is color with 20 volume (peroxide) or higher (depends on the shade), sometimes has ammonia (those relaxed hair MUST avoid), and both lifts/deposits for the desired shade.
Thanks Artemis. I was confused for a second, but that was a very good explaination. I have never used heat with the color because I'm mostly lazy and usually I mix the rinse with my conditioner, lol so that to could be a reason it doesn't show up so well.

Thanks Artemis. I was confused for a second, but that was a very good explaination. I have never used heat with the color because I'm mostly lazy and usually I mix the rinse with my conditioner, lol so that to could be a reason it doesn't show up so well.

Yeah, that might be the reason :lol:

Artemis explained that very well.

I like the color in the first pic. If you usually mix your rinse with conditioner, try it without conditioner with heat. You might not need the natural instincts at all. Even though the lumanize didn't take you alot lighter, it might have helped open your cuticle just a bit more to let more color inside.

Back