I'm on the fence, PLEASE COME IN HERE!!

L.Brown1114

ok so i may be texlaxing my hair in a couple of weeks but i need help to figure out if i should do it! iv been battling this for quite some time!! i'll just give you pros and cons of each

telaxed

pros: i loved my stretching styles (braid outs, bantu knots, etc), my hair will not be nearly as dry, easier to straighten but still have some texture, my edges will be nice and neat, ill use less product

cons: touch ups in general, uneven touch ups so my waves wont match

natural

pros: love the message natural hair gives, i LOVE puffs!, no touchups your hair just grows, my coileys

cons: i hate short hair on me and its going to take YEARS for it not to be short shrunken, SSK's, tangles all the time, more product, poofy edges

*these are ALL MY OPPINION, im not saying this is general for everybody, this is for MY HAIR!! please keep an open mind on this thread.

Last edited:
Have you tried yogurt to loosen up your coils? It seems like it would help with elongating your curls and having less SSKs.

Because I feel like I'm on the fence sometimes, I plan on straightening my hair every six months to a year (depending on how I feel). Even mwedzi (sp?) said that she is now blowdrying her natural hair from time to time because of SSKs. She is still retaining length without using chemicals.

As for waves not being even, with texlaxing they never are, but I have to say that my natural hair is coming in "uneven" so to speak as well. I have no curl pattern in some areas and 4a coils in others. I think that's just a part of a lot of natural heads of hair.

Whatever you do, just do what you feel is best. If you're looking for a more permanent fix, texlaxing is great. I've gotten beyond APL with texlaxed hair (but I started frying it so I lost the length!), so it's possible. Good luck!

I was on the fence until just last week.

The only thing I dislike about my texlaxed hair is touchups. I was afraid of ruining the texture from my first relaxer. After a five month stretch, I finally did my first touchup and I must admit I have no regrets.

I vote for heat training. I just started. Brittanynic and longhairdontcare (not sure if she's a lhcf member but she has a youtube channel) are my references. I will say that after three sessions (every 2 weeks) I noticed a difference. I'm also considering BKT. I already know that this is not going to make my kind of hair straight but the idea is that I might get a little more manageability and maybe be able to use lower settings on my heat tools. So the way I see it we have more options to choose from these days - it's not just about natural or lye/no-lye anymore.

ok so i may be texlaxing my hair in a couple of weeks but i need help to figure out if i should do it! iv been battling this for quite some time!! i'll just give you pros and cons of each

telaxed

pros: i loved my stretching styles (braid outs, bantu knots, etc), my hair will not be nearly as dry, easier to straighten but still have some texture, my edges will be nice and neat, ill use less product

cons: touch ups in general, uneven touch ups so my waves wont match

natural

pros: love the message natural hair gives, i LOVE puffs!, no touchups your hair just grows, my coileys

cons: i hate short hair on me and its going to take YEARS for it not to be short shrunken, SSK's, tangles all the time, more product, poofy edges

*these are ALL MY OPPINION, im not saying this is general for everybody, this is for MY HAIR!! please keep an open mind on this thread.

I don't know what it's like being texlaxed, but a lot of people on this board seem to have success with it.

However, looking at yours cons for natural hair I just wanted so say that, yes you have short hair now, but you only just BC'd! Plus if you change your mind, you'll have to BC again (and I kind of get the feeling you do love your natural texture).
Also poofy edges bothered me wayyy more when I was relaxed because when you stretch the is also a noticable texture difference.
And last, my relaxed hair soaked up so much more product than now than I'm natural. It was like a big dry sponge sucking up my precious expensive DC. :lol:

I'm only saying what would be the case for me, so I'm just throwing in some thoughts for you to consider when weighing the pros and cons.

You're right though about the braid-outs, knot-outs, etc., they just don't look the same on natural hair.

I kind of miss those too.. :sekret:

I am texlaxed and I like my hair because I can still do a afro puff. I don't straigten my hair. I use heat when I blow dry my hair to stretch it out. I have attached a picture. My hair does not even look like I have a perm in it, but I like it that way. Just do what is best for you. Also I stretch my perms for at least 6 months.

Attachments

• IMGA2902.jpg
    IMGA2902.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
My vote is heat training...U will learn how much heat ur hair can handle and it u take good care of it..u may avoid serious damage..although since u just BC'd u should be patient with ur hair and enjoy it being short..

Again? IIRC didn't you post about this before? Didn't you just post about installing some twist extensions the other day?

How long have you been natural? Maybe you just haven't figured your hair out yet. What is your regimen?

Have you tried yogurt to loosen up your coils? It seems like it would help with elongating your curls and having less SSKs.

no but i tried henna and it didnt loosen up NOTHIN!

Because I feel like I'm on the fence sometimes, I plan on straightening my hair every six months to a year (depending on how I feel). Even mwedzi (sp?) said that she is now blowdrying her natural hair from time to time because of SSKs. She is still retaining length without using chemicals.

As for waves not being even, with texlaxing they never are, but I have to say that my natural hair is coming in "uneven" so to speak as well. I have no curl pattern in some areas and 4a coils in others. I think that's just a part of a lot of natural heads of hair.

Whatever you do, just do what you feel is best. If you're looking for a more permanent fix, texlaxing is great. I've gotten beyond APL with texlaxed hair (but I started frying it so I lost the length!), so it's possible. Good luck!

thanks, that is true my natural hair isnt even and it still looks great!

Have you thought about a BKT? That way if you don't like it so much, it doesn't have to be permanent.

thanks but those are expensive and alot of heat and i dont feel comfortable DIYing it.

I don't know what it's like being texlaxed, but a lot of people on this board seem to have success with it.

However, looking at yours cons for natural hair I just wanted so say that, yes you have short hair now, but you only just BC'd! Plus if you change your mind, you'll have to BC again (and I kind of get the feeling you do love your natural texture).
Also poofy edges bothered me wayyy more when I was relaxed because when you stretch the is also a noticable texture difference.
And last, my relaxed hair soaked up so much more product than now than I'm natural. It was like a big dry sponge sucking up my precious expensive DC. :lol:

I'm only saying what would be the case for me, so I'm just throwing in some thoughts for you to consider when weighing the pros and cons.

You're right though about the braid-outs, knot-outs, etc., they just don't look the same on natural hair.

I kind of miss those too
.. :sekret:

thats weird my hair does the opposite, my relaxed hair barely needed any! i could tame my edges easier when i was relxed, plus when you get a fresh one you can enjoy them look neat or at least a little while. I was looking at a youtube video (uluvmegz..or something like that)and her braidout was BEAUTIFUL and i really missed those type of hairstyles!

Again? IIRC didn't you post about this before? Didn't you just post about installing some twist extensions the other day?

How long have you been natural? Maybe you just haven't figured your hair out yet. What is your regimen?

iv been natural for 6 months. yeah i posted about how ugly they are i been took those out, i was just saying how proud i was for finishing them. iv figured my hair out, its just a matter of this year ill be working and in school and natural hair has taken up WAY more of my time and energy AND money than relaxed (MY HAIR PERSONALLY, EVERY HEAD IS DIFFERENT). i love my relaxed hair but idk if i should wait until im older and have a longer transition sense im more educated on this topic. i think i did this before i was truly ready but i WANT to be ready but just because you want something doesnt mean its going to happen.

Back