I'm Not Giving Co-Washing A Third Strike! (Mild Rant!)

Daisimae

It just isn't for me. I decided to do two co-washes this week, to try them out, since I clarified and did an ApHogee hard treatment last week. What a disaster!

Wednesday, I co-washed with Loreal Vive Pro Smooth Intense. It felt and acted like a mix of paste and glue in my hair. I thought good rinse and a DC of Silk Elements Cholesterol mixed with Generic Humectress would fix it. My hair was somewhat ok after DC'ing, but, not the same. I was not pleased with this co-wash. My comfort was that I would be running more H2O on my head today. I know it wasn't the SE Cholesterol mix. I use that a lot for my second DC of the week with good results.

Today, I co-washed with Suave Professionals Humectant conditioner. The one that says it is the same as Nexxus Humectress. NOT! My hair wasn't as hard as the first time, but, it didn't feel right either. I DC'ed 15 min w/heat using Motions Moisture Plus (tub). I had used this as my first conditioner after rinsing out my hard ApHogee treatment. I thought my hair was hard when I used it, but I attributed that to the ApHogee treatment. I was wrong. This stuff gave me NO SLIP. It tangled and knotted my hair. I lost a ton of hair rinsing it out. I didn't loose that much hair when I colored it BEFORE I found this site or rinsing out the Aphogee treatment! I DC'ed again, 15 min w/heat, using my faithful standby, ORS Replenishing mixed with Sallys Generic Humectress. As usual, my hair turned out soft and untangled. I'm sitting under the dryer now. My hair isn't drying hard either.

I had thought of trying regular co-washing one more time. Now, I don't think so. I don't have the hair to lose! As far as I am concerned IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! My hair didn't mind a few weekly lathers with Generic Therappe or Suave Extra Strength Shampoo. Who am I to deprive it? I'm disavowing myself of all Motions products. MMP is going to be squirted back into the tub it came from and is headed back to Sallys. I'm returning the CPR Reconstructor, unused, just for GP. My ApHogee 2-Min works just fine. I'm not gonna mess with it. The L'Oreal Vive Pro and Suave Humectant are going to be given away to family.

I'll save my PJ'ism for Henna, Cassia, Indigo, Hair2Heaven, butters and all the additives I can find for my spray bottle at Lotion Crafters. I've got my retail staples and I'm sticking to 'em!

Last edited:
Girl, co-washing is not for every one. When i first joined i tried it and it made my hair feel nasty and have that coated feeling. i thought it was the type of Con i was using but it was co-washing in general.

A few of the ladies here swear by it and i wish it worked for me but my hair had other ideas.

Dont worry luv, Its all part of getting your own personal routine...finding what works for you and what doesnt

It just isn't for me. I decided to do two co-washes this week, to try them out, since I clarified and did an ApHogee hard treatment last week. What a disaster!

Wednesday, I co-washed with Loreal Vive Pro Smooth Intense. It felt and acted like a mix of paste and glue in my hair. I thought good rinse and a DC of Silk Elements Cholesterol mixed with Generic Humectress would fix it. My hair was somewhat ok after DC'ing, but, not the same. I was not pleased with this co-wash. My comfort was that I would be running more H2O on my head today. I know it wasn't the SE Cholesterol mix. I use that a lot for my second DC of the week with good results.

Today, I co-washed with Suave Professionals Humectant conditioner. The one that says it is the same as Nexxus Humectress. NOT! My hair wasn't as hard as the first time, but, it didn't feel right either. I DC'ed 15 min w/heat using Motions Moisture Plus (tub). I had used this as my first conditioner after rinsing out my hard ApHogee treatment. I thought my hair was hard when I used it, but I attributed that to the ApHogee treatment. I was wrong. This stuff gave me NO SLIP. It tangled and knotted my hair. I lost a ton of hair rinsing it out. I didn't loose that much hair when I colored it BEFORE I found this site or rinsing out the Aphogee treatment! I DC'ed again, 15 min w/heat, using my faithful standby, ORS Replenishing mixed with Sallys Generic Humectress. As usual, my hair turned out soft and untangled. I'm sitting under the dryer now. My hair isn't drying hard either.

I had thought of trying regular co-washing one more time. Now, I don't think so. I don't have the hair to lose! As far as I am concerned IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! My hair didn't mind a few weekly lathers with Generic Therappe or Suave Extra Strength Shampoo. Who am I to deprive it? I'm disavowing myself of all Motions products. MMP is going to be squirted back into the tub it came from and is headed back to Sallys. I'm returning the CPR Reconstructor, unused, just for GP. My ApHogee 2-Min works just fine. I'm not gonna mess with it. The L'Oreal Vive Pro and Suave Humectant are going to be given away to family.

I'll save my PJ'ism for Henna, Cassia, Indigo, Hair2Heaven, butters and all the additives I can find for my spray bottle at Lotion Crafters. I've got my retail staples and I'm sticking to 'em!

Is Co-washing mostly for naturals? B/c it does NOTHING for me either. It makes my hair weighed down and disgusting.

Is Co-washing mostly for naturals? B/c it does NOTHING for me either. It makes my hair weighed down and disgusting.

From what I've seen many relaxed heads wash just once a week, myself included. I do co-wash when swimming and occassionally during a long bunning/stretching session.

I've never had any problems with it in terms of tangles or dryness, but it's a lot of work for minimal results IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Co-washing seems to be the holy grail of hair growing around here.

I do pre-poo with Suave Tropical Coconut or WRTC. I put in in a slant tip bottle and apply it directly to my roots. Massage it in well for full coverage and pull some up along my hair to the ends. Then I apply either warm Hot 6 Oil, Proclaim Natural 7 Oil or Proclaim Aloe Hot Oil Treatment to my hair shaft and ends. A baggy is applied for an hour. I rinse and poo with Sally Generic Therappe. This always works for me, keeps my NG soft too. Sometimes I still do it even before I clarify.

I do a protein pre-poo once every two weeks using two parts ApHogee 2-Min Reconstructor mixed with one part Proclaim Shea Butter and Aloe. This only stays on for 30 minutes, under a plastic cap. I poo with Suave Extreme Strength Shampoo first. Followed up with a lather of moisturizing Generic Therappe.

I'll play devils advocate for this one. I love co-washes and if I could do them all the time I would. What I have found that works for me though is that I don't just use the conditioner as is I jazz it up a bit. So I start with some cheap/old stuff, add coconut milk (a must for me) and some oils (whatever I feel like, coconut oil, EVOO, JBCO etc) and mix them all together. It gives the mixture a thicker consistency and makes it easier for me to apply. I know that everything isn't for everybody, but if you do ever decide to try it again, I would at least try some good quality coconut milk with the conditioner. HTH

Thanks br0wney3z. I don't know if I will ever co-wash like this again. I would like to try coconut milk in a coconut hair smoothie someone posted last month. It was cheapie coconut condish, (which I already use), coconut oil and coconut milk. Put it all in a bottle and shake. Store the leftover mixture in the fridge to use the next time. I am planning to make a whole bottle use it as an alternative pre-poo.

Back