i'm NATURAL with RELAXED edges. *pix*

L.Brown1114

I have tried EVERYTHING to make my edges more manageable: ORS edge control, QP glaze, jam, different gels but NOTHING has worked or worked for the whole day so I decided it would be best to relax my edges. My edges have always been thick and healthy and Iv never had a problem with thinning. i know there were a few threads with people wondering how this looks and I LOVE it! I can do my baby hairs with ease!! without further adieu

2011-06-14233925.jpg

2011-06-14233920.jpg

^^my waves are still there. relaxing your edges doesnt take away from your texture up front if you do it the right way

2011-06-14233915.jpg

2011-06-14233907.jpg

I left the relaxer in for half the time suggested. i didnt want them bone straight, just wanted them to lye down. and this is just for anyone who is interested or who has thought about this. I'm not going to battle with natural nazies, i'm just going to ignore them so...

ps: I BC'd after my hair matgted up after getting a sew in. it was not planned and since I have already done it once I didnt feel the need to make a whole thread about it.

Last edited:
I did mine once too, and couldnt tell a bit of difference a week later. I have now accepted my natty edges cuz lord knows I wasnt about to keep that up.

eta: Oh! I use beeswax, its the only thing that 'slicks' for me.

Last edited:
When your NG grows out consider trying Elasta QP olive oil mango moisturizer. It says its a moisturizer but it works ONLY as a edge control for me. Many people have commented that it works the same for them as well.

As a moisturizer it is entirely too thick.

I am going to try it mixed with a little aloe vera gel this weekend when I do my DD's twist.

When your NG grows out consider trying Elasta QP olive oil mango moisturizer. It says its a moisturizer but it works ONLY as a edge control for me. Many people have commented that it works the same for them as well.

As a moisturizer it is entirely too thick.

I am going to try it mixed with a little aloe vera gel this weekend when I do my DD's twist.

thanks i will try that!

I have the kinkiest 4b coarse edges, my frontal edges are actually the tightest coils on my head. I've found taming them in the long run is moreso about technique then product. I have a few tricks of the trade that do the job regardless of product. But overall part of being natural for me has involved making peace with all the traits of my hair including my edges, alota times I'm perfectly happy just leaving it be and letting it do it's thing.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It looks nice :yep: but I'd worry about doing it over a longer period of time. I tried Ecostyler for the first time this weekend and oh muh gootness It laid EVERYTHING down. The only thing I didn't like was the dryness (I tried the argan oil one.... getting ready to swap for the olive.) Fantasia IC is my fave so far.

OT: Pretty ebony eyes and lashes!

my edges are rebellious too. i thought about doing a relaxer on just the edges bc they don't match w the rest of my hair, but i remembered that in my relaxed days not even the relaxer worked to tame them. they were good for the first few days but after that it was a crunchy 4z rebellion. at least now that i'm natural they're not crunchy (sometimes) and i can tame them with a little conditioner and coconut oil (sometimes:).

thanks i will try that!

you might want to spritz your hair with a little distilled water first to get it to smooth out evenly.

Try both on dry and dampened hair to see which one you like the best.

Tie a scarf around the edges after applying to allow it to set and badda bing badda boom smooth edges.

I understand your logic, but what about when it starts to grow? Will you keep relaxing it? If so, how will that look to have many inches of relaxed hair overlaying your natural hair? (Plz don't take this as Naziism, I'm just perplexed.)

It looks nice :yep: but I'd worry about doing it over a longer period of time. I tried Ecostyler for the first time this weekend and oh muh gootness It laid EVERYTHING down. The only thing I didn't like was the dryness (I tried the argan oil one.... getting ready to swap for the olive.) Fantasia IC is my fave so far.

OT: Pretty ebony eyes and lashes!

thanks! what are ebony eyes? lol

and I understand what you guys are saying but I only did the VERY front. my baby hairs which dont grow as long as the rest of my hair no matter if im natural or relaxed. when they grow i'd probably just cut off the relaxed ends and re relax them.

I did this before. I am part of the nappy edges
crew and i loved it until the ng came in. The relaxed part would cooperate the the ng would act a fool like usual. Now I just use alot of murrays to keep them down. I currently added a dab of gel and they stay neat for most of the day.

water and bees wax work for my edges. I'm texlaxed though. Doesn't or rather in the past did HairCrush relax her edges?

Chime said she did this when she was transitioning. I get it. I'm at a point where I don't think relaxing my edges will help the situation, though. For people who it will, you have to do you! Maybe eventually when they are longer you won't need to? Well, in any event, it looks nice. Not bone straight, so it doesn't look weird.

yeh, i feel you OP. NOTHING works to tame my edges either. Elasta QP, murray's, ORS, IC gel, brown gel (just gross for me personally the way it balls up) and even Hicks Total Transformations. My edges just laugh at alla that.

Maybe when your new growth comes in you can consider this (see pic). It's called the Edge Stick. i haven't used it but i might try it. it's kind of expensive since it's essentially a hot comb for your edges but it will help you maintain your look w/out having to continue perming. i dunno what would be least damaging tho...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 11.44.32 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 11.44.32 AM.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 63
Do you and don't worry about what other people think.
I like it. I thought about doing this too. If it keeps doing triple digit heat around hear...no, I won't:nono:, but this heat monkey on my back is making me think about texlaxing after 9 months of stretching.

Last edited:
I use ecostyler argan oil, little aloe vera gel, and castor oil to keep my edges tamed...works great.

I always say that it is about figuring out what works for YOU.

After trial and MUCH error, I finally figured out EcoStyler and Murray's Bees Wax laid my edges something SERIOUS!!

~S~

I have the kinkiest 4b coarse edges, my frontal edges are actually the tightest coils on my head. I've found taming them in the long run is moreso about technique then product. I have a few tricks of the trade that do the job regardless of product. But overall part of being natural for me has involved making peace with all the traits of my hair including my edges, alota times I'm perfectly happy just leaving it be and letting it do it's thing.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

One technique that works for me is cornrowing my edges horizontally, at night, unbraid and the hair is stretched, which will make it easier to lay down

I guess it's to late for suggestions. For anyone else who's having problems. The coarsest part of my hair is my sides. Water and eco styler do the trick.

Last edited:
Seriously? Have you tried wax products? That seems to make the kinkiest of kinky and the unruliest of unruly lay down.

I thought about doing this also...relaxing my edges and nape. I love wearing buns but neither will lay down for nothing. I have tried everything! I have very thick short hairs in the front..idk why they stay so short, my egdes have been like this since forever. My mom told me she used to fight w/ my edges trying to get them to lay down. And in alot of younger pics of me my edges are always sticking up. Lol..i'm to nervous to try and relax them..but I just might!

BlackMasterPiece - Care share those tricks of the trade??? :grin:

Maybe when your new growth comes in you can consider this (see pic). It's called the Edge Stick. i haven't used it but i might try it. it's kind of expensive since it's essentially a hot comb for your edges but it will help you maintain your look w/out having to continue perming. i dunno what would be least damaging tho...

I bought one of those and thought it worked great! Basically I did a blow dry and then used the edge stick to touch up my edges . . . voila! I was good to go :yep:

Glib Gurl said:
@BlackMasterPiece - Care share those tricks of the trade??? :grin:
Sure, I airdry in about 11 tight braids done on detangled hair, then, to address the coily flyaways surrounding the base of each braid, I fasten one of these:

can-hair-ties-harmful_-800x800.jpg

at the base of all 11 braids, I then allow to airdry. I look like a little girl during this process lol but it really stretches out the rebellious coily flyaways flawlessly and stretches my edges smooth. I dont even really need product after I've done that but you could add some beeswax and gel to the edges for additional reinforcement if you like. Once dry you can style it however.

Back