I'm mad at my stylist

I was thinking about cutting my hair today but I changed my mind. To make a long story short, I went to get my hair done today and I told my stylist that I changed my mind about cutting my hair because I see that I'm making progress with my growth. She had the nerve to tell me that she thinks my hair would do a lot better being short because its very fragile and my ends break easily. That was very discouraging for me I personally think a stylist should not speak negatively to clients about their hair growth, I think they should offer advice and alternatives to help the clients meet their goals. I believe that I will eventually make my hair goal, as long as I keep my ends clipped. And I definitely won't be going back to her again. I believe that anyone can have beautiful healthy hair if they take the right steps in doing so. I just had to vent...:wallbash:

Its a good thing she did go and cut your hair because SHE felt like you really needed to. As long as you see progress...thats good.

Right, I guess I should just do whatever she feels is best, just forget about me;the paying customer.:rolleyes: I admit I am struggling with my raggedy ends but I refuse to completely go and cut my hair real short. I worked hard to make the progress I do have (and fotki don't lie, lol)

Last edited:
Maybe she was just speaking from experience (dealing with your hair in the past). Did you take the conversation further and explain to her about what you've been doing with your hair, how your hair has been growing, any breakage/non breakage youve noticed, etc? Maybe a healthy dialog between you two would have helped her better understand what your ultimate goal is and then you two can work together to get there.

I was mad at my former stylist for a similar reason. If your stylist really thinks that your hair is very fragile and your ends break easily, she should have a solution to that. She should be able to recommend products to help with that. You're right that stylists should offer advice and alternatives to help clients reach their goals.

She's only been doing my hair for about four weeks, thats why I don't understand how she can just jump to that conclusion in such a short amount of time. Maybe I'm just over exaggerating, but I think I may just take a break from going to the stylist, and just start taking care of my own hair. And just continue to clip my ends regularly.

ITA, your stylist should have offered advice in meeting your goals. I could understand if you hair was in a extreamly damaged state but that does not seem to be the case. A good stylist would have come up with a plan to correct this problem. I am happy that you decided not to go back to her.

She's only been doing my hair for about four weeks, thats why I don't understand how she can just jump to that conclusion in such a short amount of time. Maybe I'm just over exaggerating, but I think I may just take a break from going to the stylist, and just start taking care of my own hair. And just continue to clip my ends regularly.

LOL, ok i didn't know that you had been seeing her for 4 weeks. It seems like there was some truth to what she was saying though. If you feel your person isn't supporting you then of course go somewhere else, i just wondered if the communication between you two was clear in regards to what you wanted to do. In any case why will you clip your ends regularly? You will be cutting all your progress away if you do.

LOL, ok i didn't know that you had been seeing her for 4 weeks. It seems like there was some truth to what she was saying though. If you feel your person isn't supporting you then of course go somewhere else, i just wondered if the communication between you two was clear in regards to what you wanted to do. In any case why will you clip your ends regularly? You will be cutting all your progress away if you do.
I agree with you. There was some truth to what she was saying my hair is fragile and my ends do break easily. I disagree with her because she was basically telling me that I should cut my hair short and keep it short forever just because my hair is fragile. I personally think thats not a good thing to tell someone, and then she showed me a hair book to show me styles that she think would look nice and they were like real short short styles. As far as our communication I voiced to her from the beginning that my goal was to have thick, long healthy hair, and for her to just say "you know what I think its just best for your hair to be short, it will be easier to manage, some people hair is just like that" I mean she didn't offer any solution what so ever besides chopping all my hair off, so it can be easire for her to take care of . I can see if she would've said something like your ends are looking damaged maybe we can give you an even trim, and then we can go from there.

Last edited:
I say go to person who is serious about helping you meet you hair goals....like yourself. No one knows what you want and how bad u want it better than you. I see you're from michigan...me too!!!. Anyways, alot of these stylist don't listen to their customers and only want to style their customer's hair into the hairstyle of the moment....Why is it that no matter what you tell them, they want or let me rephrase that ARE GOING to cut your hair into the lastest style. Why does everyone have to walk the streets with a feather wrap cut...all I wanted was trim lol. If I am going to the stylist it's for a special occasion or for a trim where I can afford to lose some hair if they don't follow my requests(a inch or two past my goal).

Like someone else said try not to trim so often...your cutting all your progress. Besides, the more protective styling and less heat styles you do the less trimming u'll have to make.

Back