I'm having real issues with Braid/Twistsouts

tekmommie

I\'m having real issues with Braid/Twistsouts

For some reason, my otherwise cooperable hair, does not like braid/twists outs. I have tried them many times, with many different products. I can do almost anything to my hair without breakage. I have even lightned and relaxed on the same day with no breakage...at all. But, boy with these its just the pits! I get breakage. Now if I do them after my hair is dry, it works, but wet
nono.gif

Has anyone had this problem, if so what did you do to combat it??

TIA

Re: I\'m having real issues with Braid/Twistsouts

What products do you use to create your Braid or Twistouts?
How small are your twists or braids?

I've tried small...disastrous. Tried medium(6-8) and large (4).

I've used all sorts of stuff. I'm not a PJ, but I was for this style. I've used KemiOyl, StaSofFro, Glycerin, Coconut oil, LUST, IC Hair Polisher can't think of the rest and didnt like any of them (my hair was dry and brittle). I use Wave Noveuo's Finishing Lotion on a regular basis, but it doesn't work for this. Maybe this is just not a style my hair will respond to well, for some bizarre reason. My hair doesn't absorb oily stuff very well, it just sit on top. Maybe, because I never use oil...who know. I think I will stick to the dry Braid/Twistouts.

<font color="brown">I think the best way to do them is on freshly washed hair that is SLIGHTLY damp. I did not like the results when I tried to do them with wet hair, and I don't like braiding wet hair.

I usually let my hair airdry about 80% - 90% (sometimes assisted by my hood dryer). I make sure to apply all of my products before drying. Then, once my hair is damp/dry, I do the braids and put small rollers on the ends. Then I LIGHTLY mist my hair with distilled water to re-activate the styling fixative (mousse, styling spray, etc.). Since I usually do this at night, I don't undo the braids until the morning.

When I do it this way, the waves are much smoother and the hair does not tangle on itself. I can finger style to my hearts content without tangles or breakage.

I hope this helps.

AngieK
cool.gif

P.S. When I say damp/dry, I mean that the hair looks dry, but it really isn't (hoping that made sense).</font>

AngieK does what I do. I found that doing braidouts on completely wet hair was too much for me - my hair would tangle too much as I'd braid. I now do my braidouts once my hair is only damp...probably 60% dry. And I spray it some if I need to. I hardly get any shedding or breakage with this method.

Hi. I posted the Braidout/twistout disaster because I was too experience breakage with all the manipulation and was not getting as smooth as a look as I wanted. I like the partial drying idea that AngieK posted. I will definitly try that. I think that doing the braids or twists is too much on my hair when it is fully wet. My hair is VERY weak when it is wet. I can rip a strand apart with my hand easily. The only reason I was doing them that way is because they hold better when my hair is wet. But I think I will semi dry my hair first, twist, then rewet after it is already twisted. My hair will be 'stronger' after it is partially dry and can withstand the manipulation better.

As for products I think you need more than just oils. Tracy had a post once on getting natural curls with relaxed hair and I think the same products apply. She mentioned that you need:
a conditioner
curl spray or gel and/or styling crème
serum

And to use them in that order too.

I am going to try this (without the middle set of leave in – I am in a country where I cannot get my hands on these products easily). Just the conditioner I use as a leave in and serum. And do the semi dry thing. I think it may work well. I will keep you posted.

I did it with fully dry hair.

I parted each section and put some Giovianni leave in/mixed with pure aloe vera gel braided 4 or 5 big corn rolls going back. After it dried from the leave in and aloe - I took the braids out and spayed some Fantasia IC P.M. in....I thought it came out great and my hair felt great. But it did not last more than that one day. After sleeping on with a satin cap the next morning...
antlers.gif
I felt like Cinderalla

I haven't tried it wet but for me it works after my hair is already dry. I mentioned this in another post that after washing, conditioning and airdrying, braiding my hair overnight leaves it with very manageable, loose waves with lots of body. No breakage.

Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna try it mostly dry and see. I will keep you guys posted.
smile.gif

I tryied it dry too...it was really cute, and it wasn't dry and brittle.

Twist for me..
I use to braid up my hair but stop having tight hair styles to grow my hair out.
smile.gif

I experienced a lot of breakage when I was nearing my maximum time that I could go withoout relaxing

[ QUOTE ]
AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I experienced a lot of breakage when I was nearing my maximum time that I could go withoout relaxing

[/ QUOTE ]
same with me. it seems my braidouts only worked really well on just relaxed hair and maybe a few weeks after. After that, I shed ALOT

I do my knot outs on slightly damp hair...they come out like cursive e's the next day...

They seem to be looking better each time...I guess I am better at doing them. I will post more pictures...hopefully this weekend, but here's how mine turned out...

http://public.fotki.com/Pookeylou/

pw:In Transition

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I do my knot outs on slightly damp hair...they come out like cursive e's the next day...

They seem to be looking better each time...I guess I am better at doing them. I will post more pictures...hopefully this weekend, but here's how mine turned out...

[/ QUOTE ]

PookeyLou,

The password to your album is not working! Could you check it?

AngieK

[ QUOTE ]
AngieK said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

[/ QUOTE ]

PookeyLou,

The password to your album is not working! Could you check it?

AngieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay - - I finally accessed the pictures! I kept getting an error message "authentication expired." I must have typed in the password 20 times! Anyway, I like the results of the bantu knots
smile.gif

AngieK

Back