I'm having a BIG problem w/ FLAKES! Please help.

caligirl2385

I\'m having a BIG problem w/ FLAKES! Please help.

ok ladies. i took out my braids last week and i've got HUGE flakes (very noticeable to the human eye). they are all over. i've washed 3 times since i took the braids out but yet i still see them. it could be the products that i'm using, or build up from the braids. whatever it is, i just wanna make sure it is not a bad thing. does this mean my scalp is not healthy or something?

Re: I\'m having a BIG problem w/ FLAKES! Please help.

What products did you use when you had the braids? Did you use Surge?

Use a medicated shampoo and make sure it actually gets to your scalp. If you have thick new growth the shampoo may not even be reaching your scalp to effectively alleviate your problem. I literally "grease" my scalp with the medicated shampoo before washing. I massage it in well while my hair is still dry so I can actually feel it working. Then I rinse like normal.

BTW -here's what i was using:

W/ BRAIDS:
diluted CON poo and conditioner
surge
motion 9/wgo
s-curl on length of braids

AFTER BRAIDS:
clarifying/motions lavish poo
doo gro deep coditioner/ntm mask
ntm leave-in
ors carrot oil and wgo on scalp
wgo and vaseline on ends
s-curl

The CON might have built up and Surge is known to cause flakes for some people. That might have been what caused it.
You might want to try a medicated shampoo like Sridevi suggested. I'd stop using the Surge while the flakes are still there.
Is your scalp sore or tender at all? Have you ever had a problem with dandruff or dry scalp in the past?

thanks for responding TAJ and SRIDEVI. my scalp is not sore or tender at all. i have never had problems with dandruff or dry scalp. (i've also read some posts on ors causing flakes too. ) but does having flakes = not healthy/dry scalp? is this something to worry about?

I wouldn't worry. You just came out of braids. Also CON can build up and Surge can sometimes cause flakes. Your scalp doesn't sound irritated.

I would just massage your scalp to help loosen the flakes. I wouldn't put anything on your scalp. That could possibly make the flakes worse.

Caligirl, your culprit is def. the Surge. Your flakes will go away with a few washings and a little oiling of the scalp. Surge is very drying. I had this same problem when I was using Surge.

Back