I'm going to try this new low-manipulation cleaning technique... (long)

melissa-bee

I found this strategy on someones blog who used this on her natural daughter who had waist length natural hair.
The status of my hair at the moment is: type 4 a/b, transitioning 23 weeks post.
Every time i wash my hair (once every 2 weeks) tiny pieces of my ends break off regardless of how my moisture/protein balance is, so the growth for those 2 weeks only come off at the ends whilst washing. Sometimes my hair is fine and i feel that it doesn't need to be washed, but my scalp always lets me down.
My scalp used to get very dry and flaky, but since being off the relaxer this has reduced dramatically but i still get flaky after about 5 days. Oiling my scalp is only effective for about 2 days, then i get a flaky oily scalp.
So this low manipulation technique is going to consist of an apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil and water mix, and i am going to part my hair in too sections and wipe my scalp clean, by dipping a clean rag in to the mixture and wiping, probably like every 5 days (pretty much when i feel like it). I will clarify my hair with baking soda rinse, maybe every 3-4 weeks.

With this technique i hope to save my ends being broken to much from regular washing whilst keeping my scalp clean and bacteria-free which will help my pores stay free from clogging and provide maximum growth.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs i'm on my mobile at the moment.
I'm going to start this technique tomorrow.

That sounds interesting. I'm considering trying this to take care of my cornrows. Shampooing always makes it frizzy. Can you post the ingredients measurements please? TIA

^^i'm going to use half ACV and half water and couple of drops of tea tree oil. Over the weeks i'm gonna experiment a bit with the ratio to see if i can cut down on the use of ACV. I'm also gonna boil the water first and allow it to cool down, so i'm not putting hard water directly too my scalp. I might add some peppermint oil too.

I forgot to add that the lady you originally done this technique also used aloe vera gel on the scalp too. But i haven't got any so i'm just gonna stick to what i wrote in the original post for now.

That's an awful lot of ACV though, do you not think it might dry out your scalp/hair? I know you're only using a a cloth to dab it on your scalp but still be cautious!

^^i'll start of with 1 part of avc and 3 parts of water then.
I used to to this as a final rinse after conditioning and it didn't do much for my scalp.

Question: by ends you mean relaxed ends right? why are you concerned if your relaxed ends come off if your transitioning, just curious.

^^yeah i mean my relaxed ends. Lol, i want to transition for a least 1 1/2 years so i still want to keep my ends in tip-top conditon lol. I also want to carry this technique on when i'm fully natural, because when i was natural before i was manipulating my hair too much which was effecting retention.

^do you know where i could find a list of ingredients, i might encourage my mum to buy that as she don't like to wet her locs

How about using this instead?

Hmm...I tried the Herbal Cleanse when I had kinky twist, but I didn't like it that much. I still have some left so I think I will revisit it now that I have cornrows. I imagine it will work much better than it did with the kinky twist, because my scalp is easier to access.

Last edited:
^do you know where i could find a list of ingredients, i might encourage my mum to buy that as she don't like to wet her locs

I got mine from Sally Beauty Supply. Here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Alcohol, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadenisis), Tetrahydroxypropyl Ethylenediamine, Wheat Amino Acids, FD&C Blue #1 (CI42090), Kola Nut Extract (Cola Acuminata), Nettle Extract (Urtica Dioica), Lavender Oil (Lavandula Angustifolia), Basil Oil, Cocimum Basilicum.

If I spelled something wrong, forgive me. I was typing from my bottle. Doesn't sound like the best ingredients, but I will finish the bottle that I have.

^alcohol as the second ingredient? Sounds like it would dry my scalp out even more. Don't know what those two things are after aloe vera. And is that blue colouring after wheat amino acids. It's pretty high up in the list. I'm gonna stick to the vinegar thing for now.

I found that one of my mistakes was always applying condish or protein treatment after wash. No every now and again, I just wash alone and my hair is just the most awesome without anything else. It's kind of a downer because I just love applying product to my hair, but if I'm going to retain growth, I've got to refrain from habit and listen to it more.

Back