I'm going to do it...

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hey ladies!

Tonight i will be grabbing a box (or 2??) of textures and tones. Which color do you think i should go with?

Here is a recent picture of my hair:

4ed7d855.jpg

2011-09-26120845.jpg

I dont currently have any color. my hair is dark brown with a slight reddening on the tips from the sun.

Can someone please give me some tips before i go bald from this process? This will be my first time coloring natural hair. Is there ANYTHING that i should know,do??

The color choices would be cherrywood

or blazing burgundy

Would either color be a mistake based on my skin color? The cherrywood doesn't seem like it will be noticeable and i definitely want a little of the color to show. I don't want it to be a boring brown but i also don't want a fire engire red color.

Last edited:
I think whatever color would give you an auburn or a burgandy I usually have to use a blonde to get auburn

It seems like the blazing burgundy would be the way to go. i'm not cool on going lighter or bleaching so whatever i get is what i get but with that said i think the blazing burgundy might be a better choice. :yep:

No color advice. I just did a dark brown rinse on mine to help get rid of some of the grays :ohwell:

Anyway.....I strongly suggest you get 2 bottles of whatever color you choose.

I learned the hard way that those bottles don't go very far and it's better to have more than too little.....I should have gotten at least 3 maybe 4 to be extra thorough.

ETA: Good luck girl, whichever you choose I'm sure it'll look wonderful!!

No color advice. I just did a dark brown rinse on mine to help get rid of some of the grays :ohwell:

Anyway.....I strongly suggest you get 2 bottles of whatever color you choose.

I learned the hard way that those bottles don't go very far and it's better to have more than too little.....I should have gotten at least 3 maybe 4 to be extra thorough.

ETA: Good luck girl, whichever you choose I'm sure it'll look wonderful!!

Good to know!! I will pick up 2 bottles for sure. Yeah, you definitely could have used a few spares with all that hair you have!!

I like the Cherrywood. It looks warmer and from your pictures, you seem to have warm undertones. I know you're worried about the color not showing, so I would mix it with the Burgundy for a custom shade.

BTW, your hair is so pretty. So lush.

I like the Cherrywood. It looks warmer and from your pictures, you seem to have warm undertones. I know you're worried about the color not showing, so I would mix it with the Burgundy for a custom shade.

I never thought about mixing the colors! That might be a good idea. Great suggestion :yep:

thanks for your input!

Cherrywood :yay: Not to bright but gives a spice to you....
You should have told me so I could have joined ya. I'm really wanting to dye just the front of my hair.

Cherrywood :yay: Not to bright but gives a spice to you....
You should have told me so I could have joined ya. I'm really wanting to dye just the front of my hair.

You gonna do it? I can wait on you if you are really gonna :look:

I'm going to try this Cherrywood since most of you ladies think this is the way to go. i would just hate to have more drab boring brownish colored hair that shows no color (like i already do :ohwell:)

your hair is so purty!! :love:

anyways, it's very hard to say how it will turn out. because that all depends on how well your hair grabs color. I used to color with auburns and it came out almost blonde.
I'd say definitely do a strand test first!

Oh, and I'd go with Blazing Burgundy-live on the wild side lol. Besides 1) reds fade VERY quickly, it'll tone down in like the next two shampoos 2) if it's way too bright you can always add a gentle brown rinse on top to tone down the color.
oh, and you betta post some pics!!

your hair is so purty!! :love:

anyways, it's very hard to say how it will turn out. because that all depends on how well your hair grabs color. I used to color with auburns and it came out almost blonde.
I'd say definitely do a strand test first!

Oh, and I'd go with Blazing Burgundy-live on the wild side lol. Besides 1) reds fade VERY quickly, it'll tone down in like the next two shampoos 2) if it's way too bright you can always add a gentle brown rinse on top to tone down the color.
oh, and you betta post some pics!!

Aaahhh decisions!!!! Lol. Hmmmm. I'm still not sure but I will def post pics

I believe both of those products contain a developer of som sorts so in actuality you are bleaching. You just aren't intending to lift the color to blonde.

With the brown color, since you will be lifting color from your hair, it will make it possible for rinses to appear better on your hair. I say instead of mixing those two products, use one and opt to customize your hair color to a brighter red with rinses. You can mix those and use them as often as you like with no damage.

It seems like the blazing burgundy would be the way to go. i'm not cool on going lighter or bleaching so whatever i get is what i get but with that said i think the blazing burgundy might be a better choice. :yep:

Both of these colors are indeed bleaches which lighten your hair, they are just ""two in ones""....as in they bleach, then deposit color at the same time, so be mindful of this!!

ETA: one of the main thing to take into consideration about color is how dedicated you are to the upkeep of it...conditioning, how often are you going to touch it up...how is it going to look as it grows out if you dont touch it up. Particularly with bleaches/lifting, it is hard to duplicate the same results each touch-up, and you are liable to get "banding"--each time you touch it up its a slightly different color (which would probably only be noticeable on straight hair) so keep this is mind too. You also dont want to overlap your color (line of demarcation?) during your re-touches. Of course you can always dye your hair back dark eventually if you get tired of the routine.

Oh and makeup! Some haircolor tend to require more makeup and/or brow lightening as well(see the ladies on the box).

Anyway, I didnt say this to scare you out of it, but Ive had many adventures (and misadventures!) in hair color, and these are all things that come up....it tends to be an ongoing process that you have to stay on top of every 4-6wks.

Oh and I like the Cherrywood!

Last edited:
I like cherrywood! The blazin is really bright to me. Don't forget to get somesort of protein conditioner. I've seen on here that sally's protein fillers work really well right after coloring.

Sent from my SCH-R915 using SCH-R915

I like cherrywood! The blazin is really bright to me. Don't forget to get somesort of protein conditioner. I've seen on here that sally's protein fillers work really well right after coloring.

Sent from my SCH-R915 using SCH-R915

I could not agree more...As a matter of fact, get your color from sally's too. I would do a protein treatment a day or two before, do a moisturizing DC, use some roux PC, and get yourself some professional demi-permanent color.

Do a test swatch. Better safe than sorry.:yep:

I didn't find my color yesterday do will look again today. I will be sure to do a protein treatment and dc today. I want a nice plum color I've decided so textures and tones may be out.

I think either color would look nice on you but I'm going to go with the cherrywood. I hope the color comes out because I had a heck of a time getting color to show up in my natural hair.

i went ahead and used the natural instincts egyptian plum. It darkened my hair a little which is ok i guess because before it was various shades of brown. My hair is wet right now so we will see how it looks tomorrow after i take down my twists (no i didn't color in twists). My hair felt so silky after putting in that conditioner that comes in the box and my curls were tighter. We shall see how everything looks tomorrow!

Back