I'm going to do it! Braids for 1 Year

CORBINS

Hello Ladies: It's been a while since I last posted but I've been checking in every now and then. I've been thinking really hard about taking my braids out. I've been growing my hair back out since the big chop. Well, since then I've had some set backs. Apparently, my hair does not like relaxers. I texturized after my BC to lighten the load, but my hair didn't respond to well to it. My hair has been in braids since 27 May 05. I've been replacing them one by one as they grow. My last relaxer was 27 March 05. Since then, my hair has grown 3 inches. My hair is still strong and I'm not losing any hair around my edges because I don't braid tight or wear ponytails that are tight.

In high school I would braid my hair for the entire school year, take them out and have long hair. But since joining this forum, I stopped doing that because of the many recommendations that stress taking them out every 2 months. Because I've had such good results so far, I'm going to go another 7 months (Lord willing) and see what kind of results I get.

I do have a question. Is there anyone else out there who is currently wearing braids for an extended amount of time (6 months or more)? And if so, what are your results?

Last edited:
That sounds like a great plan, Corbins! I personally couldn't do it for a whole year though. I could imagine my DH trying to take out my braids while I slept. He'd get antsy to see my hair again after a couple of months.

How did these three braids come aloose? :ohwell:
I don't know, Babe. Maybe it's time for you to take them out. :look:

Let us know how you're progressing!

I keep my hair braided but never for that long. I am struggling now to keep them in for a full 2-months. Put them in August 18th it is a true test to keep them in until October 18th. I will be taking these down and rebraiding again. I recently big choped and would like to keep my hair braided for a year or two to maintain length.

if i liked the way braids looked i would do this too.
good luck :) sounds like a good idea. as long as you are replacing them then it shouldnt be a problem.

I'm currently wearing extension braids right now. I started wearing them again about a year ago and I get them redone every 10 to 12 weeks. I usually stick to small or medium-sized pixie extension braids because they're much easier for me to remove on my own. I won't do microbraids because most braiders I know braid your hairline way too tight when you get them. So far my hair has been growing out quite nicely and I'll probably continue to wear them until this coming Spring.

sounds like a good plan! I'm also going to be doing the C&G method next year and will be installing about 6-8 sets of braids. I hope this will help me reach my goal of Midback by June!:)

CORBINS said:
Hello Ladies: It's been a while since I last posted but I've been checking in every now and then. I've been thinking really hard about taking my braids out. I've been growing my hair back out since the big chop. Well, since then I've had some set backs. Apparently, my hair does not like relaxers. I texturized after my BC to lighten the load, but my hair didn't respond to well to it. My hair has been in braids since 27 May 05. I've been replacing them one by one as they grow. My last relaxer was 27 March 05. Since then, my hair has grown 3 inches. My hair is still strong and I'm not losing any hair around my edges because I don't braid tight or wear ponytails that are tight.

In high school I would braid my hair for the entire school year, take them out and have long hair. But since joining this forum, I stopped doing that because of the many recommendations that stress taking them out every 2 months. Because I've had such good results so far, I'm going to go another 7 months (Lord willing) and see what kind of results I get.

I do have a question. Is there anyone else out there who is currently wearing braids for an extended amount of time (6 months or more)? And if so, what are your results?

I have done as you have. I keep them in a long time. What I do because I do them myself and they take so long is alternate. I would do the front part one month or two and then do the back part the next month or two. It keeps a fresh appearance. Other than this I basically stick to the Crown and Glory method. I do this for time and appearance. I simply do not have the time every two months to do my entire head ( I usually braid my hair the week and a half I close up for Christmas break). As long as I follow wash my regimen(using CON, use Infusium 23 Moisturising Leave in and African Pride Braid Spray with Peppermint oil) I'm straight. My hair grown at a very good rate. I use the same regimen for my braids in my sew-ins. No problems..nice hair growth (2-3) in about 2-3 months. Moisture is the key.

I've been wearing braids since Oct. 12, 2004, so the one year mark is coming up. I usually keep them in for 2-2 1/2 months then get them re-done. I haven't been perming or flat ironing after I take my braids down, so it's kind of tough to tell how much it's grown...but it has grown a lot. I wore braids for a year a few years ago and I went from chin length to a little bit longer than shoulder length in that time.

I wore braids for 2 years and got nothing but beautiful hair.

A professional told me that it would be good to deep condition before micros and do a protein right after.

I am about to go natral. My plan....

deep con, micro for 2 months
protein, cornrows for 2-3 weeks
deep con, micro for 2 months, and so on.

The only thing that I have heard harmful about braiding continuously is that the microbraids causes nick on you real hair if kept on for too long. So the big goddess braid cornrows should be a good break from micros while still keeping hair in a protective style.

Thanks for advice.

Happy hair growing!

Corbin,

If you're anything like me... (and I thought I'd never be able to grow my hair past shoulder length), then your hair will be LONG and STRONG after braids.

Back