I'm going on vacation - can't wear a wig in the carribean. I need help!

belleza

I don't know what I should do with my own hair. I'm so used to using wigs for protective styling. But I know that in the carribean, I won't be wearing a wig, it's too hot. I have no idea what I should do. Should I braid out, flat iron? :ohwell:

I just returned from Mexico and arrived with lovely flat ironed hair but as the days progressed and the water sport commenced, I just went natural.....put a head band on or added a flower clip and kept it moving. Trust me, no one is going to be judging your hair on vacation....you are there to relax. Just keep it well moisturized and let it flow.

hey! Braid out is a no no! I found the caribbean climate to be extremely DRY for my hair (just went to Jamaica and Haiti). Unless you have ample product, i would suggest buns with cute hair flowers and head bands or even phony ponys.

Those are my experience and they were my saving grace.

HTH

Every vacation Im cornrowed..get some cornrows or a weave and have fun. U dont wanna b in the carrib thinking abt hair

Sent from my ADR6300 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Get it cornrowed into a cute style. Talk about convenience. I do this for me and my girls every time. Have fun!!!

Braids or cornrows are perfect! I was in the Caribbean and I had braids. I was able to jet-ski, swim, snorkel, and pose for pictures right after with wet hair and they all came out beautiful. I didn't have to worry about my hair getting frizzy while it was wet. It was also easier to rinse the SAND out of (I didn't anticipate that). Enjoy your vacation and take a lot of pictures! Take a waterproof camera as well , I took the disposable one from Walgreens ($10). I'm jealous :D

It was braidouts and a headband for me. My hair thrives on heat. If yours does too you'll be fine.

When i was relaxed i did a alot of wet buns. It lasted for a couple of days. It was basically taking wet hair, brushing back into a bun and sealing with grease.

the healthy LHCF way to do this is to put your hair back when its 50% dry, then re-wet and seal with coconut oil or something so. either way tie it down with a scarf and it works

Braids are the optimum style though and you dont have to worry about looking boring in the same style every day

I might be in the minority here but I dislike cornrows, so I vote for a natural curl style. If you wet your hair during the day, try twisting it out allowing it to dry for an easy evening style.

Personally I found a hat to be the way to go to protect my hair from the sun which can be very drying. Put a little conditioner in your hair before any water fun too.

Briadouts worked great for me in the dominican republic. I brought headbands and some cute flower clip thingys. Bring a phoney pony to glam it up for the evening. Def bring lots of cute hair accessories. Just moisturize, gel, mist and go. That's the great part about being in the caribbean, you can wear cute island styles all the time. Flat ironing is an all around day idea, it doesn't fit the climate, the humidity, etc. Be carefree. One of the first days I got there I went right into the ocean clothes and all. Why not? The last thing I was worrying about was my hair. It was fabulous. That's that day. I just cowashed and slicked it up. have fun! I hope u have a great time.

when i was in Haiti, i had kinky twists in. the funny thing is, the kids at the orphanage we stayed at still made me take down one of the twists to prove that i wasn't bald :lol:

other than that, the twists worked well to protect my hair while i was there

I am relaxed, my hair loved the caribbean climate and i wore it flat ironed. It was cute the entire time i was in the bahamas, Puerto Rico and st. Maarten. I washed it once, reflat-ironed it before we went out to formal dinner. Still cute, curls blowing in the wind! I did water sports, snorkeled etc. My husband doesn't like braids, weaves or wigs. When we went to Brazil, I found a shop down there, and they blew out my hair silky straight. Lasted most of the week.

I'm going to the Caribbean too but I'll be wearing my hair in beach waves, easily achievable with satin rollers, will take 10/15 minutes to put them in, in the evening. I'm not a fan of cornrows or braids on me but of course those are good options for low maintenance.

Ya'll just saved my life. Ok I think I'll go carefree and maybe do the braidout with some cute hair accessories! I'm a little too structured now - I think I'll let go a little. My hair doesn't like too much heat so I'll put some coconut oil on it and some leave in conditioner. I didn't even think about that. Now I'm feeling less stressed about my trip. Thank you so much!

I was thinking cornrows and buns with cute flowers.

Have fun on your vacation!!

I would not chance exposing my real hair to the salt, sand and sun on a vacation.

I would still go for a WIG - you can get a half wig, clip it up or get a shorter style. You can even sew it in like a weave for extra security while swimming, etc…. I did this when I went to Hawaii and shared a house with white girls. I did not want to explain my "hair" plus, I would want to look good with zero effort.

I just came back from Mexico and wore two wigs. A shorter one in the beginning and a looong one after I got used to the heat. I even wore the long one in the pool (noticed I said in the pool, not swimming in the pool - can't swim a lick. Rock those wigs if you want. Braids or a sew-in are good options too.

Just do a wsh n go all out or pony you can bun or do medium singles braids with your own hair or w extensions that will be low maintenance and humidity water sport proof and you can enjoy your vacation.

Back