I'm going for it...I'm going Natural!! (LONG)

tammiematthews

I've decided to stop being afraid! You'd think that after a year of being on the forum, getting information, ideas and suggestions, and meeting wonderful natural haired women...I would have been braver about my decision. I dont know if I was afraid or if I was just being "lazy". It's a lot of work maintaining relaxed/chemically altered healthy hair...how in the world would I be able to maintain natural hair? I recently visted Lisa Akbari's salon and during that visit, I made up my mind. I had been toying with the idea of going natural for awhile, but I really never made up my mind, until that night. The stylist had just washed my hair. I looked in the mirror and saw an inch of thick new growth, then I saw the relaxed part of my hair and I really urned for the thick, wavy part of my hair. I no longer wanted straight hair. I was pissed the last time I went to my regular stylist and she permed me straight. Then I look at my daughter's hair and boy am I jealous!! Thick, wavy, NATURAL hair!! (pityful to say that I want my 3 year old's hair..LOL!) But what's even funnier is... I used to have her hair..but a lot coarser! I dont ever remember what my natural hair looks like, i havent seen it in so long. So now begins a new journey for me...Natural hair. I look forward to you lovely ladies supporting me, as I know you will. I've even decided to start using Lisa Akbari's salon for my transition. I will go biweekly for my deep conditioning treatment ( i have some overprocessing) and monthly, I will get about an inch cut off. I'm not ready for the BC. I may also transition with braids and/or cornrolls. Thank you ladies and I will be checking in with you guys with my progress.

I think that is a good decision. I am or was just as afraid too, My family is not in support of my decison, neither are my friends, my children or my only outside support. but I feel as though it really is the right thing to do. I am glad I don't have to do it alone, that I have these ladies here to help me through it, Besides with all the products out now and all the new ways of pressing your hair out I am really looking forward to seeing what my hair can do. so Way to Go my Sister.

Congratulations tammie on your decision!! I also just started transitioning this month!
I'm going natural because hair dressers keep messing up my hair whenever I get a touch up. I do not want to depend on someone else to get my hair the way I want it so good bye to relaxed hair and welcome my natural texture.
Happy transitioning!!

Hey Tammie! Goo dluck sweetie! The only thuing I can tell you is NOT to tell everyone that you are. Many peopel will be against you, even the people closest to you. Be careful who you let know your plans. BUT this will be a very informative time in your life! Good luck and hope ot se eyou on the other side! (Im transitioing as well!)

beyondcute said:
Hey Tammie! Goo dluck sweetie! The only thuing I can tell you is NOT to tell everyone that you are. Many peopel will be against you, even the people closest to you. Be careful who you let know your plans. BUT this will be a very informative time in your life! Good luck and hope ot se eyou on the other side! (Im transitioing as well!)

Yes, don't tell people you are transitioning, especially women who think a perm is the only way to go. They can make you very self-conscious.

Thanks for the advice on not telling anyone. I'm just so excited about doing this, i'm ready to shout it from the roof tops. I have a few natural ladies at my job that I know will be very supportive. I have a cousin who is in her 40's with 2 teenage daughters and their hair is naturally, beautifully long and neither one of them have ever had a chemical service done. I must take pics and show you guys. Thanks again for all of the support. It is my goal to keep my daughter as natural for as long as possible. I'm washing her hair, as we speak. ( i just needed a break, she has a lot of hair)

Enjoy, and keep ya head up, plus the best thing about transitioning w/o the BC is that if 6months down the line you relize it was just a thought you could always change your mind. But you sound pretty sure to me and I think your going to love your transition and may even BC sooner than you think, :cool: .

Goodluck! I think you'll like the journey. It can be frustrating at times, but even with that, its nice to know you don't have to have a crutch. Even though I just relaxed, its my swan song so to speak. I think learning about ourselves is a journey, and learning about our hair is part of that. It should be fun along the way (well it can also be frustrating), interesting and full of suprises! Enjoy! (i'll probably be checking your album soon)

:)

-A

Congrats! and welcome to the transitioning club :D

I totally understand what the ladies are saying about not telling anyone. I dont adverstise, but if someone asks me about my hair style I tell them that I am growing out my relaxer.

I usually get...really???...wow????..why???

It doesn't bother me and I have never had a negative comment yet....I dont care anyway.

tammiematthews said:
I've decided to stop being afraid! You'd think that after a year of being on the forum, getting information, ideas and suggestions, and meeting wonderful natural haired women...I would have been braver about my decision. I dont know if I was afraid or if I was just being "lazy". It's a lot of work maintaining relaxed/chemically altered healthy hair...how in the world would I be able to maintain natural hair? I recently visted Lisa Akbari's salon and during that visit, I made up my mind. I had been toying with the idea of going natural for awhile, but I really never made up my mind, until that night. The stylist had just washed my hair. I looked in the mirror and saw an inch of thick new growth, then I saw the relaxed part of my hair and I really urned for the thick, wavy part of my hair. I no longer wanted straight hair. I was pissed the last time I went to my regular stylist and she permed me straight. Then I look at my daughter's hair and boy am I jealous!! Thick, wavy, NATURAL hair!! (pityful to say that I want my 3 year old's hair..LOL!) But what's even funnier is... I used to have her hair..but a lot coarser! I dont ever remember what my natural hair looks like, i havent seen it in so long. So now begins a new journey for me...Natural hair. I look forward to you lovely ladies supporting me, as I know you will. I've even decided to start using Lisa Akbari's salon for my transition. I will go biweekly for my deep conditioning treatment ( i have some overprocessing) and monthly, I will get about an inch cut off. I'm not ready for the BC. I may also transition with braids and/or cornrolls. Thank you ladies and I will be checking in with you guys with my progress.

Congrats Tammie!

I was thinking the same thing about mother/daughter hair this weekend. The daugther hair is usually full, NATURAL and helathy!

Back