I'm getting my first weave install! Help!

Fine 4s

I'm so nervous but I'm doing it anyway believing that I have all the information I need in order to avoid set backs. *GULP*

1-I plan on keeping the weave in for 8-10 weeks depending on how well I moisturize my hair.
2-I used Saga Remy. It was $90 for 2 packs. I'm thinking the price quoted to me for twists at the salon for $125 was not a bad price afterall lol
3- I'll leave my edges out even though I'm getting a full sewn in.
4- I'll detangle before washing my hair after removal.
5- My braider will be using the beehive formation and I will ask her to not braid tight (and watch her closely.)
6-I'm not using a net so as to better care for my hair under the weave.
7-I'll wash the weave with warm water and vinegar prior to installing the weave.
8- I'm getting my hair cut in a bob!

Is it better to blowdry before sewing the weave in? I'm assuming that after the first wash when the hair shrinks, it might cause some 'issues' below the weave.

What's wrong with Milky Way? I saw it on a girl and it looked nice. What I liked about it is that it was not shiney (hate plastic looking hair) and it wasn't too bulky.

How think can I make my cornrows?

Anything else I should keep in mind? Pics to come later....

Thank you ladies!

Update:

I don't think I'll do this again.....

Here are the pics....

Last edited:
Cant wait to see your pics. I also vouched against the net because it seems as though it would be difficult caring for my hair underneath. Years ago I used to wear BSS hair and had no problems about it looking fake, but mine wasn't sew-in. Keep us posted and don't forget to come back to share the experience

As a former weave expert, I can tell you that Milky Way sheds a lot and it also gets frizzy after a while. However, I think it is fine for your first weave. No need to spend crazy money until you know what you like. Because you will be taking care to moisturize your hair underneath, it may not last a full 8 weeks. Oils and creams cause your hair to expand and the weave to loosen faster. Good Luck :) I'm sure it will be cute!!

Thanks for the info ladies!
I went to the BSS and ended up buying Saga Remy. Actually the package is confusing (the whole hair buying process was confusing) but it reads at the top "
100% Human Hair
Milky Way
Saga
Premium Quality 100% Human Hair
Gold
Remy Yaky

So....yeah, that's what I got.

I liked the fact that it was reusable and the other Milky Way I was looking at is not reusable.

Wish me luck!

alot of people don't like milky way because it has been know not to act right or be reusable....that's one of the issues with it and some other brands of hair. they can get knotty and tangly easily. having said that....for a first install, you should be fine with it. i don't want to scare you away from it. just want to tell you all the facts.

having said that, i would suggest scheduling a takedown in 6-8 weeks. if it looks like it is lasting you, then go ahead and keep it in longer. i suggest this because if it does start looking ratty on you, you don't want to be stuck with it for another 2 weeks.

as for care:
dilute your shampoo and conditioner with water and use color applicator bottles to apply it to your braids. deep condition, etc like you normally do.

i personally like the net because it protects your hair from the weight of the extension hair and from the thread...you can get to your scalp regardless of the net. i wear them all the time. but not getting one is ok too. (i prefer it because my hair is so fine, i like the extra protection)

one thing, if your scalp gets itchy...which happens sometimes with weaves, do an Apple cider vinegar rinse. just dilute some ACV in water and squirt it into the braids before you condition your hair....it will take the itch away. you can also dilute witch hazel with water and add some peppermint, and use a spritz bottle to apply it to the braids. i do both and it keeps my braids fresh and my scalp nice and itch free.

my regimen is in my fotki - havilland. you can always pm me if you need anything else. :)

good luck! can't wait to see your hair!

alot of people don't like milky way because it has been know not to act right or be reusable....that's one of the issues with it and some other brands of hair. they can get knotty and tangly easily. having said that....for a first install, you should be fine with it. i don't want to scare you away from it. just want to tell you all the facts.

having said that, i would suggest scheduling a takedown in 6-8 weeks. if it looks like it is lasting you, then go ahead and keep it in longer. i suggest this because if it does start looking ratty on you, you don't want to be stuck with it for another 2 weeks.

as for care:
dilute your shampoo and conditioner with water and use color applicator bottles to apply it to your braids. deep condition, etc like you normally do.

i personally like the net because it protects your hair from the weight of the extension hair and from the thread...you can get to your scalp regardless of the net. i wear them all the time. but not getting one is ok too. (i prefer it because my hair is so fine, i like the extra protection)

one thing, if your scalp gets itchy...which happens sometimes with weaves, do an Apple cider vinegar rinse. just dilute some ACV in water and squirt it into the braids before you condition your hair....it will take the itch away. you can also dilute witch hazel with water and add some peppermint, and use a spritz bottle to apply it to the braids. i do both and it keeps my braids fresh and my scalp nice and itch free.

my regimen is in my fotki - havilland. you can always pm me if you need anything else. :)

good luck! can't wait to see your hair!

Thank you for this good info!
I'll PM you if I have moe questions...
For now, can you tell me how I can reach my scalp if a net is in the way?
I have fine strands as well and would like to have all the protection I can get.
Thanks!

Hey lady!
Im excited for your sew in. I suggest you let your hair 80% air dry in sections first then lightly blow dry the rest.

Oil up and moisturize the crown and nape and after your hair is braided for the tracks, oil up the braids once more. Dont get too much oil on the leave out.

Ask your braider to dip your thread in oil concoction. I like olive oil and castor combo.

i agree with leaving your edges out.

People dont like MW because i hear it sheds a lot and tangles and mats something serious. The fact you're getting a bob may cut down on those issues.

Wash weekly. Your hair swelling or anything wont be an issue, trust me. It wont affect the look of your sew in.

Good luck!

Thank you so much Nichi. I'll keep your tips in mind. I'm under the dryer now with the hard core ApHogee treatment, then I'll DC with moisture, moisturize a bit with my Rusk Leave-in (never tried it before), go to bed and dry some more in the AM before my 9am apt. I also will wash the hair or just swoosh it around in warm water and vinegar.
Tomorrow I'll moisturize some more.....

Thank you for this good info!
I'll PM you if I have moe questions...
For now, can you tell me how I can reach my scalp if a net is in the way?
I have fine strands as well and would like to have all the protection I can get.
Thanks!

i'm glad i can help!

to reach my scalp i use color applicator bottles to dilute shampoo and conditioner with water and squirt it into the braids. to apply my oils i use bottles that have a nozzle tip. to apply water based spritz i use products that come in a spray bottle. i use chi keratin mist. or she scentit has a nice moisture mist. hairveda has one too - silica spritz i think. i have used all of these. i also mix my own in the empty bottles.

you can always pour a mixture that you already use into one of those drugstore travel spray bottles too.

i personally only need to moisturize and apply products once a week. since my hair is not exposed to the elements, i find less is more.

feel free to ask anything.....i know how the first weaves can be. :grin:

(also, remember a net has holes in it. it may feel weird, but you can reach your scalp effectively through those holes. product, etc. penetrates. i never ever had an issue. my weaves actually last longer when i use the net than when i don't)

If you're getting a short bob, you should be able to get away with the Milky Way. The main reason people don't like it is, for one it's not all human hair, two it tangles and three it sheds all over the place. If you're wearing a bob I would imagine the hair is going to be styled straight the majority of the time and with it being a shorter length you shouldn't have an issue with tangles. You should be fine. It's your first install. I wouldn't spend a lot of money for hair for the first one. You're not sure if you're going to like it yet. Just make sure you keep it moisturized and wrap it up at night. And try not to put any product on the weave hair itself. Sometimes that makes it tangle too.

Last edited:
If you're getting a short bob, you should be able to get away with the Milky Way. The main reason people don't like it is, for one it's not all human hair, two it tangles and three it sheds all over the place. If you're wearing a bob I would imagine the hair is going to be styled straight the majority of the time and with it being a shorter length you shouldn't have an issue with tangles. You should be fine. It's your first install. I wouldn't spend a lot of money for hair for the first one. You're not sure if you're going to like it yet. Just make sure you keep it moisturized and wrap it up at night. And try not to put any product on the weave hair itself. Sometimes that makes it tangle too.

^^^^ i totally agree:yep:

More pics....

Attachments

• Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Back Left.JPG
    Back Left.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 50
  • Back Right.JPG
    Back Right.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 55
Wow, ladies...I'm so not feeling all of this hair.
1- I'm not used to this texture and
2- I'm not sure about the cut
3- Too pale for this color

I like it as well....maybe try putting a little more bump or curl into it so you can enjoy it more.

One thing that happened with the thread dipped in oil Nichi, was the the weavers hands got oily and that oil transfered to the weave. The hair wasn't more shiny than how it was when I bought it, but...
What are your thoughts on this?

Back