I'M DOING MY FIRST HENNA!!!!

Can you put henna over a permanent hair color? I just dyed mt hair black. I'm scared to ruin my natural hair.

See you need a :spank::spank: . Remember my Keep It Simple steps - go back and read, the last step is MOISTURZING DC.

Sorry I forgot!!!!:blush: I told ya'll I was excited and I was doing stuff all out of order. But it turns out the color did transfer to my hair so i'm satisfied. I'll just remember to DC when I do it again next week.

ETA: I did henna on my hair over permanent color. I colored it about 7 months ago though so I think i'm pretty safe. I don't know how long you should wait to henna over permanent color.

Last edited:
Can you put henna over a permanent hair color? I just dyed mt hair black. I'm scared to ruin my natural hair.

Only Body Art Quality (BAQ) henna can be used and I would wait a few weeks of deep conditioning treatments before doing so though just to make sure.

I thought I'd add this site for you to read up on - www.hennaforhair.com. Please read up on this before you mkae any moves on henna to feel confident with what you're doing, okay?

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot!!!!:blush: I told ya'll I was excited and I was doing stuff all out of order. But it turns out the color did transfer to my hair so i'm satisfied. I'll just remember to DC when I do it again next week.

ETA: I did henna on my hair over permanent color. I colored it about 7 months ago though so I think i'm pretty safe. I don't know how long you should wait to henna over permanent color.

:yep::yep:Henna will leave your hair dry...stronger but dry. That's normal. But, yes, a good DC will fix it (i'm actually DCing right now after my henna treatment). And make sure it's a moisturizing DC opposed to a protein.

Question: I've tried 2 different types of Henna (Moutainrose.com Mahogany color henna and 1 directly from India purchased here). Neither mix has ever COLORED my hair only made my grey a reddish color. I've added different things to the mix and still no color. So what are you ladies doing in order to get the henna to really color your hair. I've been told to try baking soda and peroxide on hair prior to adding henna.

TIA

Good thread!

Question for anyone that can help...If i'm doing the two-step Henna then Indigo process, do you think using a cheapie conditioner to wash out the henna will prevent the indigo from taking and depositing color as well as it could have? I always read that its best to wash out with conditioner instead of shampoo. Should I rinse out the henna with shampoo, then use a conditioner to rinse out the final indigo?

Question: I've tried 2 different types of Henna (Moutainrose.com Mahogany color henna and 1 directly from India purchased here). Neither mix has ever COLORED my hair only made my grey a reddish color. I've added different things to the mix and still no color. So what are you ladies doing in order to get the henna to really color your hair. I've been told to try baking soda and peroxide on hair prior to adding henna.

TIA

bumping for a response to this...

i'd like to know, too, as i'd like to use henna vs colorshowers to color my grays now that i'm transitioning...and ummm, it's 'bout time for a color touch-up...

OT: Soror, your twists (and hair) is to-die-for!!!:love3:oo-oop!

TIA

Never hear of mountain rose, can you send link to the exact product (their website is a bit hard to navigate) and what brand of henna did you purchase from India?

Also, did you let the color release before applying?

ETA: Nevermind, I found the henna. Honestly, I'd be a bit skeptical, because Mountain Rose is selling henna in all different colors - strawbrerry, black, etc. Henna is ONLY 1 COLOR - RED. So they have to use additives to get other colors, possibly metallics. Not sure though.

Last edited:
Good thread!

Question for anyone that can help...If i'm doing the two-step Henna then Indigo process, do you think using a cheapie conditioner to wash out the henna will prevent the indigo from taking and depositing color as well as it could have? I always read that its best to wash out with conditioner instead of shampoo. Should I rinse out the henna with shampoo, then use a conditioner to rinse out the final indigo?

you don't shampoo or condish the henna, just rinse out the henna and immediately apply the indigo.

bumping for a response to this...

i'd like to know, too, as i'd like to use henna vs colorshowers to color my grays now that i'm transitioning...and ummm, it's 'bout time for a color touch-up...

OT: Soror, your twists (and hair) is to-die-for!!!:love3:oo-oop!

:love3:Thanks soror...

Never hear of mountain rose, can you send link to the exact product (their website is a bit hard to navigate) and what brand of henna did you purchase from India?

Also, did you let the color release before applying?

ETA: Nevermind, I found the henna. Honestly, I'd be a bit skeptical, because Mountain Rose is selling henna in all different colors - strawbrerry, black, etc. Henna is ONLY 1 COLOR - RED. So they have to use additives to get other colors, possibly metallics. Not sure though.

Yeah...I really didn't like the Mountainrose henna. And others stated the same thing you did. So I only used 2x. I really like the India henna. Here is the pic:

IMG_9537-vi.jpg

IMG_9540-vi.jpg

LOL..The directions are in English even though box is in Japanese...:lachen:

I've used 2x. 1st time I mixed w/ coffee. The 2nd time I mixed w/ ACV. Both I let sit for 24hrs. So color definitely released. I don't want my hair to look red, but SOME color would be nice :rolleyes:

Yeah...I really didn't like the Mountainrose henna. And others stated the same thing you did. So I only used 2x. I really like the India henna. Here is the pic:

IMG_9537-vi.jpg

IMG_9540-vi.jpg

LOL..The directions are in English even though box is in Japanese...:lachen:

I've used 2x. 1st time I mixed w/ coffee. The 2nd time I mixed w/ ACV. Both I let sit for 24hrs. So color definitely released. I don't want my hair to look red, but SOME color would be nice :rolleyes:

ummm, again. I'd be a bit skeptical - english/japanese. Never heard of this brand. Why don't you get a brand like Jamila, Reshma, or Hesh (there are a few others, but I can't think of them now) that are tried and true or order from FNWL, HennaForHair or HennaSooq?

ummm, again. I'd be a bit skeptical - english/japanese. Never heard of this brand. Why don't you get a brand like Jamila, Reshma, or Hesh (there are a few others, but I can't think of them now) that are tried and true or order from FNWL, HennaForHair or HennaSooq?

I'll be in the USA for the summer. I've heard a lot of people talk about Jamila. I will pick some up then will in TX this summer. So the brands mentioned does actually COLOR your hair???

TIA

I'll be in the USA for the summer. I've heard a lot of people talk about Jamila. I will pick some up then will in TX this summer. So the brands mentioned does actually COLOR your hair???

TIA

yes. Henna is red, so that is the only color you should be getting unless you add indigo, to make it black or dark brown.
ETA: Are you in the UK? If so, stop by your local Indian/Middle Eastern grocery store, they will carry henna.

yes. Henna is red, so that is the only color you should be getting unless you add indigo, to make it black or dark brown.
ETA: Are you in the UK? If so, stop by your local Indian/Middle Eastern grocery store, they will carry henna.

Girl no..Japan. I found the Henna shown at a local Indian store here. I'll inquire w/ my Indian friend to see if they carry the Henna brands you mentioned. If not, I'll just get this summer in TX..

you don't shampoo or condish the henna, just rinse out the henna and immediately apply the indigo.

Ooooh..this could be why my greys didn't get covered well. I hennaed first, then rinse and cowashed a couple of times. Then I applied the indigo. My greys came out red. Also, I only left the indigo on for 20-25 min, so I thought that was why my grays didn't get covered. For you ladies, who do a separate indigo to cover greys, how long do you leave the indigo on?

It's day two and my hair isn't dry anymore. It's back to normal. I am in love with henna!!! It did loosen my curl pattern a little but my hair feels so much thicker and healthier. Doing this henna really has me considering doing the BC.

It's day two and my hair isn't dry anymore. It's back to normal. I am in love with henna!!! It did loosen my curl pattern a little but my hair feels so much thicker and healthier. Doing this henna really has me considering doing the BC.

I just did my first henna this weekend and you're right about the thickness. I was amazed at how much thicker and healthier my hair felt. My texture seemed to have soften a little as well. This is one regimen I will stick to.

Back