I'm Disouraged about Breakage

amber082

I\'m Disouraged about Breakage

Hi you guys, I'm new here and I really appreciate ya'lls help, but lately my hair has been breaking and shedding, I even tried that Aphogee and it didn't help. I'm open to any suggestions excluding protein. Cause I think I overdosed on it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
frown.gif

Re: I\'m Disouraged about Breakage

Hi Amber ~

I'm sorry you're suffering through this. I've been there. I came to the hair boards with breaking, shedding hair. It was very disheartening. ((((hug))))

If protein has not helped stop the breakage and you think you've overdosed on it, then maximize the moisture.
smile.gif
You can try conditioner-only washes, which involve you washing your hair just like you would with shampoo except you're using conditioner. I like to do this during the week, in between my shampoos (which I do twice a week). Everyone's hair likes something different - mine likes Herbal Essences Fruit Fusions conditioners, esp. the purple one which name escapes me at the moment. Herbal Essence Intensive Blends is also another effective, inexpensive conditioner. Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal or Pantene Smooth & Sleek have drawn tons of raves on this Board (although my hair didn't fare well with Smooth & Sleek).

I would also recommend doing the final rinse to your hair with distilled water. The water where you live may be very hard, like it is where I live. That can dry your hair out in a hurry! In between washes (conditioner-only or traditional shampoo washes), spritz your hair with distilled water. You'll be surprised at how soft and more moisturized your hair will feel!

There's a recent thread on moisturizing leave-ins, which help immensely as well. I like L'Oreal Unfrizz Taming Creme. I've also had success with Elasta QP H-Two Leave-In. I wish I could recommend a product that everyone has had success with but we haven't encountered anything yet that works for all heads of hair, so you'll have to do some experimentation. Many here have also found wonderful success with curl activator - yes, as in jherri curl juice and no, I'm not kidding. Many use S-Curl No Drip Activator or Care Free Curl. If you doubt what wonders these glycerin-heavy products can do for hair, check out Adrienne's photo album (just click on her name and it will lead you to the link for her website).

I also like using oil, like Hot Six Oil or Wildgrowth Hair Oil, which makes my hair pliable. I don't know if you have relaxed hair or not but oil really helps my hair survive the difference between my chemically-altered hair and my virgin new growth.
smile.gif
It drastically reduces breakage when used in combination with products that deliver maximum moisture to my strands.
up.gif

Finally, I see your goal is bra strap by March. This must mean that your hair is long enough for a protective style, like the infamous bun!
grin.gif
A lot of us took Lee's challenge of wetting our ends, slathering them with Vaseline (that's right), and then putting our hair up in a protective style. Some of us also alternate with using Vaseline and the baggie trick, which involves using a sandwich baggie (not the ziploc kind, the fold-over kind) over the bun, with a scrunchie wrapped over the baggie, a dark nylon covering the baggied-bun (this one is optional), and then placing a fake ponytail over the whole thing. Keeps hair nice and moist! And reduces manipulation.

In a nutshell: maximize moisture, moisturize constantly (at least daily), seal ends with vaseline, wear a protective style, and leave your hair alone.

...oh, and if you're not wearing a silk or satin scarf to bed, start! I also find wearing a scarf when pulling on/off sweaters and turtlenecks also protects my hair.

Good luck! You will succeed!
smile.gif

I just wanted to add that if you're using any hot tools - blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron, etc. - leave them alone completely. Direct, constant heat only serves to dry hair out further and most of us have naturally-dry, very delicate hair to start with. Here's the link I found discussing moisturizing leave-ins: Moisturizing Leave-Ins

Good luck!

thanks for all the suggestions, my hair is relaxed and I don't use any heat products on it. I don't know what the problem is the only thing I could think of was that I used too many protien things this week.

Then Moisterize.
I use to wash all the time with protien based products and my hair would be dry. Use moisterizing products and often. When it was really dry I would wash every other day and pull it back and let it rest. Follow the good advice given by the ladies and your hair will fare well.
smile.gif

You're welcome, Amber. I think protein overdose may be the problem too - so counteract it with moisture: maximize moisture, moisturize constantly (at least daily), seal ends with vaseline, wear a protective style, and leave your hair alone.

Good luck!

Back