I'm Defecting Back to Relaxed!!

I've been natural for two years and it's time to give it up and rejoin the ranks of the relaxed heads! I'm bored with the limited number of hairstyles I can wear and find that all I want to do is wear braids now just so I don't have to deal with my hair. More importantly, I am so disappointed in the texture of my natural hair. I guess I got caught up seeing all the beautiful type 3-something naturals here with their swinging, bouncy curls and thought I'd get the same thing. But my natural hair won't do that and doesn't look like that and I'm not happy. And talk about shrinkage! I don't mind going a little shorter, but my below shoulder length hair shrinks up into my scalp when it dries! And I've tried every product and process suggested for softening and lengthening my hair, but nothing works. I'm done fighting it.

I guess all this whining is leading up to the fact that I tried, but I cannot hang in there any longer. I've got an appointment for a relaxer on Saturday. *SIGH* I'll just have to go back to admiring all you beautiful, natural heads from afar.

Thanks to all who provided their help, guidance and suggestions throughout my attempt and good luck to everybody transitioning to natural. Hopefully, your experience will be more rewarding than mine! :-)

co-signing. My hair is like this as well. Although, I had to do a forces big chop a couple of months ago the length that I did have, prior to the damage, was SL and once dry would be twa:wallbash::wallbash:. What I have I come to realize is that due to my hair's natural curl pattern, being natural is doing it more harm than good. The knots, tangles, breakage, etc.... due to it being extremely tightly coiled is really hurting my strands.

well atleast you tried it out, I think the suggestion to texlax is a good one. If you really like curly styles maybe you can acheive it w/a texturizer or texlaxing.

Good luck. Natural hair is not for everybody, but at least you gave it a try. I'd love to see pics of your hair after you get back from the salon. :love:

Well Robin, you know that you have support from us no matter what. I am just happy you got to know YOUR hair what it likes and doesn't like and what you yourself is prepared to deal with. Happy hair growing honey.

Thanks, everyone! I guess I just needed to vent and admit defeat. I'll try to post pics after the weekend.

I like that you are very candid and honest. I feel that people should be able to do whatever they want with their hair and not have people criticize them. I hate it when people try to say "Oh, natural hair is better!" or "Relaxed hair is much more manageable". My response to that is "Who cares?" It's your hair, do what you want to with it. We all know that one's hair can grow and be healthy whether relaxed or natural as long as you care for it, so what does it matter what someone's preference of wearing their hair is? If you want to go back to relaxed, then that is great, and if you decided to stay natural, that's fine as well. Just do what makes you happy and wear your hair in a way that makes you feel prettiest. Much love :yep:.

I like that you are very candid and honest. I feel that people should be able to do whatever they want with their hair and not have people criticize them. I hate it when people try to say "Oh, natural hair is better!" or "Relaxed hair is much more manageable". My response to that is "Who cares?" It's your hair, do what you want to with it. We all know that one's hair can grow and be healthy whether relaxed or natural as long as you care for it, so what does it matter what someone's preference of wearing their hair is? If you want to go back to relaxed, then that is great, and if you decided to stay natural, that's fine as well. Just do what makes you happy and wear your hair in a way that makes you feel prettiest. Much love :yep:.
WOW!!Very Well Said.

Awww what a sweet post. I agree with the ChiChiKinks, very well said:yep:.

Thanks, everyone! I guess I just needed to vent and admit defeat. I'll try to post pics after the weekend.

I don't think you were defeated. If anything you learned about your natural hair and decided you prefer a relaxer, that's all. Either way, I wish you happy hair growing. Don't forget the pics!

Back