I'm confused. Can somebody please explain why...

I would assume it's hard to remove from hair and doesn't allow moisture penetration

If it's so hard to remove why is it used so widely in lip balms, lip stick, lotion, and other skin care products? Your hair absorbs stuff just like your skin, but skin is just more sensitive.

I don't know why exactly beeswax is hard to remove from your hair, but I could tell you my experience with it.
It. Was. Awful.
I only used it on my ends as a sealant and it would not shampoo off. After sulfates shampooing and clarifying I just took it as a lost and got a trim. I went from BSB to APL :(

I don't know why exactly beeswax is hard to remove from your hair, but I could tell you my experience with it. It. Was. Awful. I only used it on my ends as a sealant and it would not shampoo off. After sulfates shampooing and clarifying I just took it as a lost and got a trim. I went from BSB to APL :(

What kind of beeswax was it? What was the product? I'm just curious.

Beeswax is used to bind/emulsify products.... CD products has clogged my follicles and the residue has taken a month to come off my hair. The healthy hair butter has beeswax and alot of it. I have encountered people who use beeswax in the locing process and their hair can tend to have a sour smell due to mildew not just lack of washing.

If it's so hard to remove why is it used so widely in lip balms, lip stick, lotion, and other skin care products? Your hair absorbs stuff just like your skin, but skin is just more sensitive.

You wash your skin with soap daily so it kinda doesn't matter.

So I guess now my question is how do you guys know it's the beeswax and not something else in the product that causes the coating? Is it possible it's just what's they're mixing the beeswax with?

You wash your skin with soap daily so it kinda doesn't matter.

If that's the case then doesn't the same apply to your hair? Your skin is more porous than you hair. Shouldn't it simply wash out when you wash your hair if it's so easy to wash off your body?

Beeswax is used to bind/emulsify products.... CD products has clogged my follicles and the residue has taken a month to come off my hair. The healthy hair butter has beeswax and alot of it. I have encountered people who use beeswax in the locing process and their hair can tend to have a sour smell due to mildew not just lack of washing.

Doesn't mildew develop on damp areas where there is little to no sunlight or heat to dry them out? How is that the fault of beeswax?

So I guess now my question is how do you guys know it's the beeswax and not something else in the product that causes the coating? Is it possible it's just what's they're mixing the beeswax with?

I am sure there are people who use products with beeswax just fine. Everyone's hair isn't sensitive to it. You have to know your hair.

Initially I was unaware that I had a problem with any type of waxing product until I paid attention. I actually tried to make my own unpetroleum jelly using beeswax and oil.

As I learned about my hair I realized that my hair is too dry to work well with beeswax. I need to get moisture into my hair every day and the was doesn't allow this. I don't know if I had a problem washing it off but wax is more difficult to remove from a surface than oils or grease. Wax just binds to the surface of anything more than oil and grease does.

I also know that I am not just sensitive to wax in my hair products. I don't use lip balms or lipsticks with waxes because they make my lips chap and peel.

I have done enough experimentation and ingredient elimination to narrow it down that any type of wax for my hair or body is an issue.

If that's the case then doesn't the same apply to your hair? Your skin is more porous than you hair. Shouldn't it simply wash out when you wash your hair if it's so easy to wash off your body?

Idk about easy I have never actually used beeswax or beeswax containing products (excluding Burts chapstick) but I assume it acts in the same way as shea butter on hair and scalp. Since the hair and scalp are already all jumbled on top of one another it's allows the product to just settle on the hair porosity of hair probably has a factor as well.

I use CD mimosa hair honey and my hair loves it. I can't use water based moisturizers for some reason. It is amazing how everyone's hair is unique and reacts differently to different products.

When I went natural the first time I used bees wax almost exclusively. Didn't have a problem with it. My mom also uses it too. I may have to revisit.

I think we have to ensure that the product is pure bees wax. Just like with castor oil. Here in Jamaica some ppl make it with added salt which really messes up the hair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using LHCF .... plz excuse the occasional crap typos :)

I can't use anything with beeswax in my hair. It coats it and makes it greasy.

It doesn't matter what the product is. That's just what it does to my hair.

But that doesn't mean it won't work for you. Hey, try it out and see how it works. This is another "if it works for you, forget other people's rationales for not using it", you know?

Products with beeswax in it coat my hair something terrible.

SimJam Which products with beeswax did you use? 100% beeswax is as hard as a brick and you have to melt it to be able to work with it.

greenandchic it was a locally made product ... not even sure it had a name. My mother got it at the market. But yes it was hard and I mixed it with castor oil.

The one she uses now though is a store bought, haven't checked the ingredients.

Beeswax for me is worst then cones. It takes a chelating shampoo just to remove it. I think it good for doings braids.....but not for everyday styling. Well at least for my hair it isn't.

Beeswax is ok for me. Not good and not bad. But something I have learned is that when you use heavy products, you need to cancel it out with sulphate shampoos. You can't use beeswax and then want to cowash because it won't work. Beeswax also is not for everyone. The drier your hair is, the more you probably shouldn't use it as well. My hair is not dry as it holds moisture well, but for hair that loses moisture well, it could be a curse.

Back