I'm barely 6 weeks post and my new growth already looks "bad"

jessicarabbit

Or puffy looking. Is this normal for around this time? I planned to stretch my relaxers, but this just doesn't look good. It doesn't look sleek, especially since I cowash very often and use no heat. What do u ladies do when u lose that slick back look, and how soon is average?

I know exactly what You mean. My hair just, dies. No gel or water anything lays down the new growth. I cut a bangs so I won't have to see my edges.

You could try to dry doing the Scarf method to try with a good leave-in and a little oil. :yep:

This really helps with the sleek (look) effect when dealing with NG and stretching.

A silk/satin scarf will push "down" the new growth. I have almost stretched for 6 months (end of april will make that 7) and my new growth does not bother me. I dont plan to get a relaxer until June or July. Right now I am under processed but my ng is still very visible. so basically I have 3 in of under processed NG. At 6 weeks you probably have a half an inch of NG compare that with my 3 ins lol. I just put my hair in a bun and basically just let it sit for a week along with m&s and co washing.I dont do much with my hair anyway.

Last edited:
Once I'm 6 weeks post I don't go for the sleek look all the time.. I can blow dry and do the scarf method after a wash and that works well enough but since I don't want to have heat in my hair constantly I don't rely on that method. The scarf method alone does work for me somewhat but I'm usually too lazy to think about it and I don't like wearing a scarf to bed on a regular basis cause they stress my edges.

Have you considered alternate hairstyles that take advantage of the thickness/body your new growth adds? Like braid-outs, twist-outs, bantu-knot outs etc. They're easy to work with and hard to get wrong IMO, plus they stretch out your roots a bit.

Take a look at this thread, maybe you'll get some inspiration:
Relaxed hair means straight hair ALL the time.....Um, NOT!!

Once I'm 6 weeks post I don't go for the sleek look all the time.. I can blow dry and do the scarf method after a wash and that works well enough but since I don't want to have heat in my hair constantly I don't rely on that method. The scarf method alone does work for me somewhat but I'm usually too lazy to think about it and I don't like wearing a scarf to bed on a regular basis cause they stress my edges.

Have you considered alternate hairstyles that take advantage of the thickness/body your new growth adds? Like braid-outs, twist-outs, bantu-knot outs etc. They're easy to work with and hard to get wrong IMO, plus they stretch out your roots a bit.

Take a look at this thread, maybe you'll get some inspiration:
Relaxed hair means straight hair ALL the time.....Um, NOT!!

Agree with this 100%!! Part of stretching is divorcing yourself from the idea that your hair has to be pin straight all the time. The longer you hang on to that notion, the more frustrating your stretch will be. Finding styles that work with your new growth make the process a whole lot easier. :yep:

I agree with the other ladies about the scarf method I'll be 17 weeks post this Friday and the scarf method works in keeping my new growth down when I bun my hair.

The scarf method is a good idea. Also, you may want to cowash less frequently. As I get new growth, I wash less frequently. I don't want to cause any unnecessary breakage due to overly manipulating my hair.

thanks ladies, all great advice. Im gonna start doing the scarf method with flaxseed gel every morning. I cant really incorporate twist outs, etc into my reggie because Im on a strict protective style, hide your ends type challenge. (personal challenge).

hmm but maybe I could do like a flat twist swoop bang thing. or a french braid for my bang with a side part and then just pull the rest of my hair back. Its hard to explain with words but i can visualize it in my head. lol

I love my new growth when I can see it at the longer stretch stage - the scarf method, no heat, and Bee Mine Luscious have made my bunning and other styles look presentable , manageable and encourages me to give my hair the TLC it needs during this part of my HHJ.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:
Fall in love with your newgrowth and learn to style it. Our hair is so amazing and versatile - take advantage of that! :yep:

Scarf method works wonders. Also try airdrying in stretched ponytails. Both methods work for me. I'm almost 13 weeks post now.

Back