I'm Afraid of Gel!! Am I Alone?

carameldelight87

I don't know what's wrong with me!? Back in the day (middle and high school), I was a faithful relaxer and had a big container of that black Pro-Style gel. That is like a SUPER gel to me! That stuff would hold in a hurricane!...that and Pump It Up spritz...:yep: Lol.

I'd rock my multi-colored and layered scrunchie ponytail and slap that black mess on my edges with ease. :smirk: Ended up breakin off a lot of hair cuz I never washed the gel off, I just combed thru it. :nono:

But since I've combed out my locs, I'm deathly afraid of that same black gel...but some styles I want to do I need that hold for my puffy edges...what do I do? :perplexed:

I bought Aloe Vera gel thinking it was the "natural" solution, but it couldn't hold WATER!! That stuff is not a holding or styling agent at all. :ohwell:

I watched my roommate go to her long and :gorgeous: natural hair with a wet brush dipped that dark brown gel...I almost cried for her hair! :cry:

Am I just crazy? Is gel not that bad? Or can y'all recommend a better alternative for that hold? :perplexed:

Last edited:
I'm not scared of it, I'm just never using it again. Or the clear kind. I don't like the flaking and breakage. I plan to give away all I have at my natural haircare product swap next week! :)

I use Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Shine Wax for my edges & it works GREAT! I put a very little on my edges, brush them down and sometimes tie a scarf on! Works GREAT! Love it! Light, not greasy, and no flaking. It's soft, so you can comb or brush through it.

garnier-fructis-style-brilliantine-shine-wax-strong_117901_raw.jpg

You're wise to be careful about gel, especially the black protein gel type which I believe played a role in my front and back edges breaking off to a nearly shaved look at the beginning of this year. I now use Let's Jam Lite which isn't as greasy as the regular formula and tames my edges without drying; however, it's holding power doesn't last all day. That's fine for me - I'm just starting my first mini stretch and for my wash n go's, I just need something to smooth and shape my 4b relaxed hair. For a light hold that will last all day, I use the new Aussie Sun-Touched Shine Gel (flexible hold).

Not sure which brand AVG you tried, but Trader Joe 99% Aloe Vera Gel is a good one. It gives hold that is shiny and lasts all day. And my hair is always soft after wet bunning. I could brush it down with my Denman or Mason Pearson, but I rarely do.

If you're looking for a "firm" hold, try Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparkelites. The ingredients are good, it is mostly glycerin and aloe vera so it doesnt dry your hair out, but still gives a "hard" hold if you are heavy handed. The one cone Fantasia IC does have is water soluble, so there isn't coney build up over time.

2nd thing - begin using a scarf - and tying it snug, but not too tight to cause breakage. It will train your edges over time to begin laying down. (Same reason some guys wear doo rags - trains their hair pattern).

However, I would caution from "brushing" hair that is coated with product, I would think that build up on more fragile strands are more susceptible to breakage if roughly managed. Especially delicate edges.

Anyway, those are my two shekels. Hope this helps. And good luck in finding your staple!

I'm not afraid of gel. I just use it sparingly. I also make sure not to manipulate my hair after I have used it and I rinse it out of my hair the next day.

The best gel I have ever used was EcoStyler w/ Olive oil. No flaking, no breakage, and my hair is soft! U should try it..Its at Sally's for 5.

All I could think of when I seen the name of this thread was Michael J's You're not alone. Anyway, ITO w/ the EcoStyler and I haven't had a problem w/ IC either. HTH.

It's all about choices. I love aloe vera gel, Fruit of the Earth Aloe Gel (blue cap, in the sunblock aisle), Fantasia IC (blue), and clear Ecostyler. None of these have caused dryness, flaking or hard hair. Another way to combat dryness is to apply castor oil underneath and/or on top of the gel. Yummylicious!

I am only scared of flax seed gel. Tried making my own- it just didn't look right. I wanted to :barf:. Plus it didn't work.

:nervous2: Im afraid of gel too. Back in the day brown gel would give me dry crispy hair and flaking itchy scalp. :nono: What is the secret to using gel?

Your not alone! I used gel for the first time right when I BC'd and my hair laughed at it. I never tried it again and plan on staying away from it until my hair is long enough to pull back into a puff!!!

Umm....unpopular opinion following:

I do not think gel....and even :gulp: pump it up spritz are that bad :look: . I use either Ecostyler protein gel (Hold Level 7) or Fantasia IC . I previously grew my hair from just past shoulder to BSL when relaxed in ~12-15 months by slicking my hair back and bunning it up or rollersetting/spritzing for a hard hold.

This allowed me to stretch my styles w/out combing for up to a week and some change. BUT, AS SOON AS the hold began to loosen, I washed and deep conditioned my hair. I NEVER combed or brushed it while the gel or spritz was in my hair, EVER. This kept my hair from splitting and from drying out.

I've recently began resuming this method, and I retaining my hair growth by leaps and bounds....plus it's hella easy. Oh, and do NOT apply the gel to your ends. Coat them heavily with a moisturizer and sealant. I prefer a hard hold because my hair does not frizz up as easily nor do I have to be as diligent about tying it up

Last edited:
i have NEVER used gel in my life until i came to this board. and even then i didnt start using gel until this year. when i went natural i became obssessed with all natural gels. the only ones i really like a the whipped gelly by afroveda and hairveda and i like aloevera gel. other than that i hate gel. not scared though.

There is no reason to be afraid of gel.

1. Avoid ones that have alcohol
2. Many have protein in them and generally dry hard. Use them over a moisturizing leave in to avoid problems.
3. Don't try to comb or brush dry hair with gel in it. I use ecostlyer clear all over my head and I wet it in the shower or at the sink to refresh my style.

Like many things - its all in how you use it. I haven't found a natural gel that has worked for me yet.

Well, I had to band gel because after five years of being faithful it started to break my edges off. I had to resort to something else that will smooth down my edges and will stay throughout the day. I borrowed some Syntonic Edge Define Hairline Smoother from my sister and I must say that it does exactly what it says. I was really impressed that I ordered one for myself. Also, Aveda Brilliant Hummectant Pomade smooths down your edges as well.

Your not alone. I'm afraid of gel too. :nono: Using gel for my phonie pony is what broke off the front of my hair. I'm going to try Aloe Vera gel.

I understand where you are coming from, although I have experienced the flaking/hella hold when I've used Dep or Dippity Do (those ol skool gels). Once I switched to the stinky black gel, I found during the course of the day my hair would soften up. The caveat is (like another poster mentioned) I would never comb thru it unless I had been rockin the schlick-back for at least two days. Also, I apply it minimally with a relaxer brush, as to only capture the flyaways.

Hth

Try Ecostyler.....you'll change your mind completely! lol

I used to be scared of it but now i've found the right one. Now that Pump it Up....:nono::nono::nono:

Last edited:
Another vote for Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel, gives me amazing hold, it's moisturizing and doesn't flake :yep: I'll never go back to regular styling gel.

Last edited:
Great thread. I lost my nape messing with Let's Jam gel in High school and since then have never touched it. But now, I'd like to try and rock a phony pony and I would really need gel to hold the style down...there are a couple I'd like to try based on this thread

My top gels and glazes for holding down my edges are:

Ecostyler Gel ( Clear and Olive Oil)
Black N Sassy Style Smoother
IC Fantasia Gel Sparkelites
QP Elasta Glaze

Umm....unpopular opinion following:

I do not think gel....and even :gulp: pump it up spritz are that bad :look: . I use either Ecostyler protein gel (Hold Level 7) or Fantasia IC . I previously grew my hair from just past shoulder to BSL when relaxed in ~12-15 months by slicking my hair back and bunning it up or rollersetting/spritzing for a hard hold.

This allowed me to stretch my styles w/out combing for up to a week and some change. BUT, AS SOON AS the hold began to loosen, I washed and deep conditioned my hair. I NEVER combed or brushed it while the gel or spritz was in my hair, EVER. This kept my hair from splitting and from drying out.

I've recently began resuming this method, and I retaining my hair growth by leaps and bounds....plus it's hella easy. Oh, and do NOT apply the gel to your ends. Coat them heavily with a moisturizer and sealant. I prefer a hard hold because my hair does not frizz up as easily nor do I have to be as diligent about tying it up

This is how I did my buns in basic training and tech school but I couldn't keep the same bun for long cuz I abhor sweaty hair so I was constantly washing and wet bunning which was good for growth and retention for me as well.

I'm no fan of gel. It has been in my hair once in my lifetime and that's when I volunteered to be a "hair model" for my cousin when she was doing an exam in beauty school. I do have some IC gel that I would use if ever the urge strikes.

I like Slick-stuff. This stuff has been kind to my hair/edges for years.

It contains some products that "we" at LCHF don't like but compared to the other products around I like this old favorite best and it smells great.

Recently tried the green EcoStyler gel and found it satifactory too.

I'm not scared of gel. I use a light gel. One meant to define curls. By silk elements. But that hard thick gel that comes in globs like a container...NOOOOOO nooooo nooo...i HAVEN'T used that stuff since I started this whole thing two years ago. Because I have a sensitive scalp, it causes flaking for me and horrible shedding. I use gel probably twice a week, but it's a light runny kind of gel meant to define curls. It is not that old school brown or even clear gel. I don't think anything that gets on the hair thick and stops it from "breathing" is good on a regular basis.

i just got the curl junkie aloe fix gel in the mail today and i hope i like it. i used some on my edges and like that so i hope i love it all over my hair. cause i hated kccc.

Back