I'm afraid I will never be able to straighten my hair

Naturelie

Hi girls!

(First of all: Please, forgive my english, I'm French.)

I feel like I will never be able to straighten my hair cause my strands are really really really fine (I'm a 4a girl).
I feel like flat ironing would be a self-willed setback, a hair suicide. I'm 24 years old and natural for 24 years lol. So, I've already straighten my hair but it was before my hair care journey.
I'm resigned and just admiring healthy flat ironed hair.

Do you feel that your hair wouldn't withstand even a straightening?
Or, have you flat ironed despite of the feeling it could be wrong and what was the result? Did you regret?

Can you please share your experiences ladies?

Hi!

I have fine 4a hair as well, and I've been pressing my hair for over ten years. As long as the comb or flat iron isn't too hot, you should be fine. Make sure you wipe the comb so you can test how hot it is on paper first.

Hey! I just made the decision to become a heat styled natural this month. I straightened last weekend to do a length check and my ends were a disaster! Single strand knots had set me back one whole year in terms of growth. I had to cut 3 inches off. I am a fine haired 4b and no, I do not feel like I can't straighten my hair. It comes down to what products I use and the care I take. I wash, deep condition, blow dry with comb attachment then flat iron with a chi. Will continue on this until the summertime. Your English is impeccable, by the way.

I used to feel this way about my youngest dd's hair. She has SUPER fine 4a strands that are very fragile. I took the leap and flat ironed (and curled) her hair for picture day at school....it turned out so nice!

I was a nervous wreck on wash day though lol...but her kinks and curls bounced right back :lol:

I think the key is taking precautions...I DC'd and detangled well, and I skipped the blow dry to minimize heat. I stretched her hair in braids to dry, used a good heat protectant, and did no more than 2 passes on each section.

Take your time, use all the LHCF knowledge you've gained, and you'll be fine :) and post pics!

Hi!

I have fine 4a hair as well, and I've been pressing my hair for over ten years. As long as the comb or flat iron isn't too hot, you should be fine. Make sure you wipe the comb so you can test how hot it is on paper first.

What do you call "not too hot" please?

Hey! I just made the decision to become a heat styled natural this month. I straightened last weekend to do a length check and my ends were a disaster! Single strand knots had set me back one whole year in terms of growth. I had to cut 3 inches off. I am a fine haired 4b and no, I do not feel like I can't straighten my hair. It comes down to what products I use and the care I take. I wash, deep condition, blow dry with comb attachment then flat iron with a chi. Will continue on this until the summertime. Your English is impeccable, by the way.

I'm really sorry fot the setback. I feel you so much. I can assume that can happen to me if I straighten my hair.
What will you do to make sure it won't happen again? How will you prepare your hair before using heat?
(Thanks! I have an english dictionary next to me lol)

I used to feel this way about my youngest dd's hair. She has SUPER fine 4a strands that are very fragile. I took the leap and flat ironed (and curled) her hair for picture day at school....it turned out so nice!

I was a nervous wreck on wash day though lol...but her kinks and curls bounced right back :lol:

I think the key is taking precautions...I DC'd and detangled well, and I skipped the blow dry to minimize heat. I stretched her hair in braids to dry, used a good heat protectant, and did no more than 2 passes on each section.

Take your time, use all the LHCF knowledge you've gained, and you'll be fine :) and post pics!

Do you make a protein DC or a moisturizing DC before straigthening please? (I assume a protein treatment is necessary cause heat temporary breaks some protein links in the strands)

I am scared of straightening my hair to, but I am thinking that I need to be a straightened natural or get sister locks because my hair gets soooo many single strand knots its not funny and it is stunting my growth.

I am scared of straightening my hair to, but I am thinking that I need to be a straightened natural or get sister locks because my hair gets soooo many single strand knots its not funny and it is stunting my growth.

I understand your apprehension girl!
You get the knots even when you do protective styles?

I understand your apprehension girl!
You get the knots even when you do protective styles?

If I leave it in protective styles it minimizes the knots but it doesn't eliminate them. It is disastrous if I leave my hair in a wash n go style for too long :nono:

I don't have fine hair but maybe you could do light protein treatments when you wash and a hard protein every few months to help strengthen your hair and when you deep condition your hair add a clear rinse to it to coat your strands. Also use a low heat setting (280 or less) and make sure you use a heat protectant spray and only straighten once or twice a month...again I don't have fine hair but I think done with care a patience you can achieve the straight look you want

i use heat ( blow dryer) 2 times à month.
i flat iron sometimes too. no heat damage .i have fine 4b hair.

i also did rollersets last week. great !

dont worry. as long as you deep condition, be gentle and dont use high heat. dont pass throuht hair over 2 times.,use heat protectant.

fine hair doesnt need high heat

Last edited:
If I leave it in protective styles it minimizes the knots but it doesn't eliminate them. It is disastrous if I leave my hair in a wash n go style for too long :nono:

Wash n go's can really be distastrous for some hair types. Like straightening, I feel like wash n go's are not for me so I favor protective styles.
If you straighten your hair, how do you intend to prepare it before?

I don't have fine hair but maybe you could do light protein treatments when you wash and a hard protein every few months to help strengthen your hair and when you deep condition your hair add a clear rinse to it to coat your strands. Also use a low heat setting (280 or less) and make sure you use a heat protectant spray and only straighten once or twice a month...again I don't have fine hair but I think done with care a patience you can achieve the straight look you want

i use heat ( blow dryer) 2 à month.
i flat iron sometimes too. no heat damage .i have fine 4b hair.

i also did rollersets last week. great !

dont worry. as long as you deep condition, be gentle and dont use high heat. dont pass throuht hair over 2 times.,use heat protectant.

fine hair doesnt need high heat

Thanks girls for the precious advices!

I have fine hair, too, and tbh, flat ironing helps with length retention. Wash & go give me countless SSKs so normally I wear my freshly washed hair in a twisted bun. 2x a month I dc with a protein treatment, dry by stretching then a flat iron. I check my ends then put in a twist bun. Usually lasts a week.

I guess you could say I use flat ironing as a protective style because my ends don't break as much when my hair is flat ironed and bunned.

I'm sure you can flat iron your hair -- you need to learn the optimum temperature that straightens your hair without damaging it. Always use a temperature less than you think your hair will tolerate.

Good luck to you!

I have fine hair, too, and tbh, flat ironing helps with length retention. Wash & go give me countless SSKs so normally I wear my freshly washed hair in a twisted bun. 2x a month I dc with a protein treatment, dry by stretching then a flat iron. I check my ends then put in a twist bun. Usually lasts a week.

I guess you could say I use flat ironing as a protective style because my ends don't break as much when my hair is flat ironed and bunned.

I'm sure you can flat iron your hair -- you need to learn the optimum temperature that straightens your hair without damaging it. Always use a temperature less than you think your hair will tolerate.

Good luck to you!

Thanks! After reading all those posts I'm less and less afraid.

Do you make a protein DC or a moisturizing DC before straigthening please? (I assume a protein treatment is necessary cause heat temporary breaks some protein links in the strands)

I first used 2 Minute Aphogee for a mild/medium protein treatment (with heat for about 15 mins), then I used ORS with castor oil added for a moisturizing overnight DC.

I always do at least a light PT (followed by a moisturizing DC) before using any kind of heat, to strengthen the hair as much as possible.

HTH

I first used 2 Minute Aphogee for a mild/medium protein treatment (with heat for about 15 mins), then I used ORS with castor oil added for a moisturizing overnight DC.

I always do at least a light PT (followed by a moisturizing DC) before using any kind of heat, to strengthen the hair as much as possible.

HTH

What do you think about just doing a coconut milk treatment before straightening? (I love coconut and, even if it's not really a protein treatment it can stregthen the strands' fiber).

i also use apoghee 2 min (2hours or overnight works for me) . its enough for me. hair is soft and strong.

when i was relaxed i loooooved ors.
im sticking to my apoghee cause it has lots of slip = i detangle my hair with it on damp hair.

i also use apoghee 2 min (2hours or overnight works for me) . its enough for me. hair is soft and strong.

when i was relaxed i loooooved ors.
im sticking to my apoghee cause it has lots of slip = i detangle my hair with it on damp hair.

Don't you think that Aphogee 2 min dries out hair? (I never use it but I've heard about it).

I have been straightening for a while so I am not scared. i typically use low heat, don't do many passes and make sure i am on top of my deep treatments. So far it seems to be working for me.

like regina07 said i loose WAY less hair with it straight than curly.

Wash n go's can really be distastrous for some hair types. Like straightening, I feel like wash n go's are not for me so I favor protective styles.
If you straighten your hair, how do you intend to prepare it before?

I have never really straightened it before, I have only lightly blow dried it using the pull method. I am thinking I will soon but I need to get a really really good flat iron first.

My daughter has really fine curly, I think 3 something hair and I just wanted to shair my experience witb straightening her hair. She begged me ti straighten her hair for a long time so I decided to do so for christmas. I prepood, washed and deepconditioned her hair first. Then put a rollerset, and used a heatprotector before flatironing it. It came out really nice. However it's been three months after and her hair has changed dramatically. Her curls are different, they are not so thight or curly as they used to be. There are pieces of that are completely straight and her curls much looser. I am afraid that it is heatedamage. Maybe sime hair isn't supposed to be straightend becUse it just cant take it.

I have very fine 4a hair as well and I flat iron my hair all the time. I just think deep conditioning and protein treatments before the heat is a key to prevent damage. To be honest I don't even use a heat protectant and I did have some heat damage once when I switched up my routine but I find when I use shea butter and natural 7 argan oil I don't get heat damage.

Back