IM A NEWBIE WHO NEEDS HELP PLEASE!!

Pryncez524

Hi everybody, you can probably tell that I'm new to LHCF. I've been browsing the sight for a few days and I'm definitely addicted. I've already made some decisions about my hair...And I've just suscribed! yay!

I was hoping that you guys could give me some pointers on starting a hair regimen. I'll tell you what I've done so far.
I think I'm a 3a/b

1. After reading a lot of good reviews, I bought the MIZANI shampoo and conditioner. I bought moisturefuze moisturing conditioner to use as a deep conditioner.
2. I bought Cantu shea butter conditioning cream for a moisturizer. And I plan on using virgin coconut oil to seal my ends.
3. I'm going to stop flat ironing my hair for at least a month.

Ok now for my questions.
1. How often should I moisturize and use the oil? And do I apply it to my entire head?
2. After I wash and deep condition, what should I do with my hair? I read about braid and twist outs so I thought I'd try that.
3. I've heard people say that you should keep your hair wet, so how do you do that? Do you wet it/cowash it everytime you shower?
I think thats about it for now..Please help me. I'll be putting up pictures eventually
P.S. What does it mean when you put "bump" in your thread?

Hi Newbie!!

'Bump' means to bump the thread to the top so that others can see it.

Personally, I moisturize when my hair starts to look a little dry..maybe after a few days. After deep conditioning, I either rollerset, or comb through my hair and sit under the dryer.

I hope that something I've said helps you.

Hi everybody, you can probably tell that I'm new to LHCF. I've been browsing the sight for a few days and I'm definitely addicted. I've already made some decisions about my hair...And I've just suscribed! yay!

I was hoping that you guys could give me some pointers on starting a hair regimen. I'll tell you what I've done so far.
I think I'm a 3a/b

1. After reading a lot of good reviews, I bought the MIZANI shampoo and conditioner. I bought moisturefuze moisturing conditioner to use as a deep conditioner.
2. I bought Cantu shea butter conditioning cream for a moisturizer. And I plan on using virgin coconut oil to seal my ends.

Ok now for my questions.
1. How often should I moisturize and use the oil? And do I apply it to my entire head?
2. After I wash and deep condition, what should I do with my hair? I read about braid and twist outs so I thought I'd try that.
3. I've heard people say that you should keep your hair wet, so how do you do that? Do you wet it/cowash it everytime you shower?
I think thats about it for now..Please help me. I'll be putting up pictures eventually

:wavey:welcome!

1. how often you need to moisturize depends on your hairs' needs. i moisturize at least once a day, but usually twice; when preparing for my day in the morning, and prior wrapping my hair up for bedtime. i apply to my whole head, focusing on my edges and my ends.

i don't use oil to seal, but i suppose as often as you moisturize, you would seal.

2. after i wash/deep condition, i airdry, detangle before it completely dries, and then braid or bun. braid-outs and twist-outs are good too!

3. i keep my hair wet by various methods. sometimes i will wet it in the shower while it's braided, other times i spray my homemade moisturizing spritz on it. other times i will just saturate it with a creamy moisturizer.

some people do wash/co-wash daily, but i only do this twice weekly.

hope you find what works for you. i am sure you will!

Hi, Pryncez524 and welcome!

This is pretty similar to my regimen, too. I just moisturize as often as I feel neccessary. from what I can see, keep your hair manipulation to a mninimum, and try to use protective styling as much as you can.

Thanks to Feelfree for her post!

:wavey:welcome!

1. how often you need to moisturize depends on your hairs' needs. i moisturize at least once a day, but usually twice; when preparing for my day in the morning, and prior wrapping my hair up for bedtime. i apply to my whole head, focusing on my edges and my ends.

i don't use oil to seal, but i suppose as often as you moisturize, you would seal.

2. after i wash/deep condition, i airdry, detangle before it completely dries, and then braid or bun. braid-outs and twist-outs are good too!

3. i keep my hair wet by various methods. sometimes i will wet it in the shower while it's braided, other times i spray my homemade moisturizing spritz on it. other times i will just saturate it with a creamy moisturizer.

some people do wash/co-wash daily, but i only do this twice weekly.

hope you find what works for you. i am sure you will!

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you're off to a good start, your hair will probably enjoy getting a break from the flat-iron.

1. How often should I moisturize and use the oil? And do I apply it to my entire head? How often you moisturize depends on your hair. Sometimes I moisturize daily, others moisturize 2x/daily, others moisturize less frequently.
2. After I wash and deep condition, what should I do with my hair? I read about braid and twist outs so I thought I'd try that.I usually do a rollerset. When I don't feel like doing that, I do a braidout.
3. I've heard people say that you should keep your hair wet, so how do you do that? Do you wet it/cowash it everytime you shower?I usually don't keep my hair wet. I think most people do this by cowashing and bunning their hair, some do wash n gos.

1. How often should I moisturize and use the oil? And do I apply it to my entire head? It's going to be trial and error. Start out doing it every other day and see if your hair responds by being too oily (then use oil less frequently) or if your hair is dry (then use oil more frequently)

3. I've heard people say that you should keep your hair wet, so how do you do that? Do you wet it/cowash it everytime you shower?I don't wash my hair every shower but I will go in with my hair uncovered so that my hair pics up some moisture before I put my leave in on my hair.

-see JCoily's answer

What ever you want really, just try not to use a lot of frequent heat and manipulation.

...curly = braidout, twistout, bantu knots, rollersets, caruso rollers, flexi rods, etc
...straight = wet wrap, rollerset + saran wrap, (in moderation) flat-iron

I've never heard that. My hair is always dry, except for wash days.

How often I need to moisturize depends on what is going on with my hair and what sort of condition it is in at the time. When I first got to LHCF I dc'd, baggied, and used different products a lot because I was trying to figure out what worked for me. This helped up my moisture level and my hair began to behave better and I found the products that worked for me. Now I try to maintain. I moisture every time I wash and as my hair needs it. When I feel like it needs moisture too often then I will baggy my whole head more oftenand do more bunning with conditioner left in.

I think that braidouts would be a good choice because you can probably get a wavy look (with large braids) that will be a good transition while you get back in touch with your curls. Try rollersets and roller/wrap sets too. Especially if you decide you still want to use heat or still want to wear your hair straight.

When I don't have time or when I want to do a lengthy conditioning (1-2 days), I wash/cowash my hair and then apply conditioner while I'm still in the shower and my hair is still soaking wet. I gentle squeeze out the access water and conditioner that would drip on me if I didn't then I just put my hair up once I am ready to get dressed. The hair in the middle of my head will stay moist all day. I'm not sure I like this...but that's another thread.

BTW........................................Welcome!

Last edited:
Thank you guys soooo much for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. Everything you said helped me. I hope to have some albums up soon and having it looking as great as you guys. :grin:

I think I'm a 3a/b

Ok now for my questions.

1. Depending on your hair type, I don't think that you need all those products. It'll probably result in build-up and you'll end up with an oily scalp. My hair is 3c and what I typically do is wash it with conditioner, and put a leave-in conditioner. That's it. That's all you need. All those extra oils are just too heavy, but you should try it once to see how it turns out. But apply it LIGHTLY.
2. You don't really have to do anything. Just let it air dry, I find the twisting the hair is unnecessary unless you actually have the time.
3. Just wet your hair in the shower, a little rinse. Or you can just skip a day. Never brush your hair and comb it with a wide-tooth comb when soaking wet.

The looser the curl, the less products you should be using.

Welcome!! I don't really have anything new to add but be patient! You will learn a lot by trial and error.

What helped me to get started was finding people who had issues (dryness, breakage etc.) or similar texture that I had. I found that that was a good starting point. But make no mistake I got GREAT advice and ideas from ladies that didn't have the issues or the texture that I had.

Establish a solid reg before you start jumping on all the new product bandwagons. You want to have something tried and true to fall back on if the new thing doesn't work.

I also lived in the archives. Almost any question that I had, had already been asked and answered.

Happy Hair Growing!!

Back