If your scalp gets tender from using metal hair pins...

ElizaBlue

You may be allergic to the nickel in the hair pins...

So I recently did the big chop and could not for the life of me manage my hair. I decided to visit a natural hair salon and figured she would get these coils whipped into some type of shape.

I was totally baffled and completely amazed that she straightened my hair with a flat iron or some flat plates that looked like two kitchen knives. I swear everyone thought I'd had a relaxer. But no chemicals were used.

Anyway, what I came to share is that after the flat iron she put my hair in pin curls almost like bantu style. Everyone in the shop got these and these ladies hair looked so healthy and soooo long. They had these beautiful full body waves which she put back up into the pins and sent the client on their way.

She applies just a bit of Redken Argan oil and instructed them to pin their hair up every night to maintain the style. They all looked so nice and coiffed!

The pins she used are the regular metal alligator two pronged hair pins. The problem for me and maybe for some of you is that I'm allergic to nickel and a lot of other metals too. After about three days I noticed my scalp beginning to feel sore and itchy where the pins touched my scalp. I realized my new cute style would not survive if I had to keep using these pins.

So I did some research and found these Nickel-free Hypo-allergenic Hair Pins at www.hair-hardware.com If this is the case with any of you, you might want to give them a try. Now to the sleeping on the pins...I was hoping to find some perhaps coated or rubberized or something.

I did find some coated in rubber but shoot they were $1 a piece. So I figured I'd pass on those and see how the nickel-free pins did.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 11
My scalp feels like you described from using hair pins....I know I can't wear jewelry containing nickel either.

Thanks for the heads up!

I used to have random sore spots on my scalp and now that you mention it a I've been wearing a bun in my hair for weeks, and I have no scalp irritation. I'm allergic to those cheap earrings as well, but I never thought that my hair pins could be the source because I never put them in tight...wow. Thank you!

Thanks because this happens to me with normal hairpins. I was getting worried that I'd scratch myself bald. Constant soreness and the itches when I wear the hairpins. I need to find an alternative.

I used to have random sore spots on my scalp and now that you mention it a I've been wearing a bun in my hair for weeks, and I have no scalp irritation. I'm allergic to those cheap earrings as well, but I never thought that my hair pins could be the source because I never put them in tight...wow. Thank you!

ravenhairedcharm You are very welcome. I just wish I could find or make some that were more comfortable as well

Last edited:
Thanks because this happens to me with normal hairpins. I was getting worried that I'd scratch myself bald. Constant soreness and the itches when I wear the hairpins. I need to find an alternative.

HoneyA yep if it goes on for to long your scalp can start weeping or oozing and sores will erupt.

THANK YOU for this post. I wear pins all the time I have these burning/sore spots on my scalp. And I'm like, "what the heck? where are these coming from since i don't have a relaxer???" It's clear I'm allergic to the nickel in the bobby pins. You are a lifesaver.

Thanx for this thread! I have noticed that whenever I use my Goody Spin Pins (especially after putting my damp hair in a bun), my scalp gets sore where the pin meets it. :scratchch

I also can't wear cheap jewelry and itch whenever I hold change/bus poles too long.

Last edited:
THANK YOU for this post. I wear pins all the time I have these burning/sore spots on my scalp. And I'm like, "what the heck? where are these coming from since i don't have a relaxer???" It's clear I'm allergic to the nickel in the bobby pins. You are a lifesaver.

ellebelle88 You are very welcome. I got my pins today! I will post results after a week or so. I really couldn't tell them from the nickel pins but I've had them in now since 6pm and don't feel any itching or discomfort.

Thanx for this thread! I have noticed that whenever I use my Goody Spin Pins (especially after putting my damp hair in a bun), my scalp gets sore where the pin meets it. :scratchch

I also can't wear cheap jewelry and itch whenever I hold change/bus poles too long.

brooklyngal73 You are welcome. I also think if you use oils in your hair the oil may somehow bring out the worst in the pins. I don't know why I just notice a lot more broken ends especially where it's a sore spot.

Back