If you live in the SF Bay Area and you are a PJ please help me out!

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I am not a product person; in fact I've been getting by for years on shampoo and conditioner and some type of moisturizer. Now that I am starting my natural journey (a nice little self-challenge) there are a few things I want to get, but I don't know where to get them. I live in the Oakland/Berkeley/San Francisco tri-area (I totally made that up, but those are the three cities my life is comprised in) and I really would like help finding a few things, like:

• Glycerin
  • Coconut Oil
  • Grape Seed Oil
  • Rose Water
  • Aloe Vera
  • Castor Oil
And anything else you natural ladies find to be hydrating. I'm looking for a good way to wash my hair without shampoo (I hear baking soda is a good one). Also I am a broke student (actually past broke...super broke) so anything that's good on the cheap would be awesome! Thanks in advance!:grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
Grape Seed Oil: Trader Joe's in Oakland, Pinole

Coconut Oil: At Indian grocery in Berkeley-Spice House, Walgreens in the GNC Aisle, Vitamin Shoppe

Rosewater: Indian Grocery in Berkeley-Spice House or any Indian grocer.

Aloe Vera: Gel- Trader Joe's, Juice- Lahksa Karnak (sp), Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, Rainbow Market in San Francisco. Or Vitamin Shoppe.

Grape Seed Oil: Trader Joe's in Oakland, Pinole

Coconut Oil: At Indian grocery in Berkeley-Spice House, Walgreens in the GNC Aisle, Vitamin Shoppe

Rosewater: Indian Grocery in Berkeley-Spice House or any Indian grocer.

Aloe Vera: Gel- Trader Joe's, Juice- Lahksa Karnak (sp), Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, Rainbow Market in San Francisco. Or Vitamin Shoppe.

Thank you sooooo much!:grin:

I agree with everything CaliDiamond said. I love the spice house in Berkley, thats where I get my vatika and coconut oil from. When I first started out I was getting my coconut oil from Whole Foods but the indian store is wayyyy better and less expensive. They also just opened a Trader Joes in Berkeley on University & Martin Luther King Jr Way.

ETA: You can get castor oil at any drug store. I just got a bottle from target for $1.24. They have grape seed oil at Whole Foods too. Not to sure about where to get the glycerin.

HTH :)

Last edited:
I'm not certain, but they may have glycerine at Lakeshore Natural Foods on Lakeshore in Oakland....I love that place. Give them a call and ask....and if you speak to Mark Nathan tell him his customer who moved to Japan says hello. :grin:

I'm not certain, but they may have glycerine at Lakeshore Natural Foods on Lakeshore in Oakland....I love that place. Give them a call and ask....and if you speak to Mark Nathan tell him his customer who moved to Japan says hello. :grin:

Thanks you!!! I live in Piedmont, not too far from there, I go there all the time, I will be giving them a call asap

FocusLady said:
Walmart pharmacy for everything but the rose water.

Thank you, even the Glycerin is there?!? That's what I really would like to find.

Walgreens has: Rosewater & Glycerin mix, Castor Oil. Use Yelp to find Indian Grocery stores and BSS in the Oakland Area.

Anyone know the address or street the Spice house is on? and I need glycerin too.

The address and phone number is:

1036 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510) 845-5200

I saw glycerin at the Food Mill on Macarthur Blvd in Oakland today when I picked up some avacado oil :)

is elephant pharm still up in Berkeley? I know they closed the one down here in Los Altos, but that's where I could find glycerin.

It's gone :sad:

They had the BEST hair accessories, too!

wow...I didn't think htere were that many Bay Area Ladies here......HI!!!!! :clapping:

I get all my natural things from GNC. Coconut oil and vatika oil from any store on University in Berkeley. Glycerin from the natural foods store right by the Lakeshore theater (which most likely is the store mentioned above).

Glycerin - WholeFoods
Coconut Oil - WholeFoods or Vitamin Shoppe
Grape Seed Oil - WholeFoods, Trader Joe's
Rose Water - Any Indian Grocer
Aloe Vera - For a real, live aloe vera plant, most nurseries including Target's. For Aloe Vera gel, WholeFoods, Vitamin Shoppe
Castor Oil - WholeFoods and Vitamin Shoppe

Back