If you have "the 3c Patch"

Cherokee-n-Black

I've seen a lot of people talk about having one of these in the midst of their 4a/b/c hair, and I have one myself. Mine is in the back underneath all the 4 something hair. I always thought maybe that hair was less exposed so it just appeared to be looser/smoother, whatever, but now I'm finding that people's 3c patches happen all over.

Questions:
1 Where is yours?
2 Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair?
3Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with.

My answers
Already answered #1
#2 Not right now, but I did when I was relaxed because it was resistant and would break off. I would use different , more moisturizing products on it and make sure when I rollerset that the 3c hair had it's own rollers, because of the breakage.

#3 Maybe this is common knowledge but I find my 4 hair much easier to detangle. The 3C patch is hell-bent on tangling, and as I said before was resistant to relaxing. Now I'm just wondering WTH my hair is going to look like when I BC with this patch in the back. I'm invisioning an afro-mullet.

Mine is right in the front. It's at least a 4x4 area. It makes it a PITA to wear a WNG without a headband or something. My mom and sister have it in the exact sane area except my sisters is more like she has all 3c hair with a 3a area and my mom is 3b in back, 3a in the middle and 2b in the front. She has to braid her front in order to WNG. It's dries almost completely straight, just a little frizzy.,

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It's like in the back of my hairline, like an inch of my nape.

I don't treat it differently. When I BC'ed, I thought that they just didn't cut my hair evenly since it hung longer than the rest of my hair. I don't treat it differently. My 4 hair likes a lot of product and the 3c patch just gets really weighed down.

It is easier to deal with :look: It seems like the comb just glides through it compared to the rest of my hair BUT I always talk about how I don't want that patch of 3c because it looks silly rocking my fro and having an inch of curly hair hanging down.

Mine is right in the front. It's at least a 4x4 area. It makes it a PITA to wear a WNG without a headband or something. My mom and sister have it in the exact sane area except my sisters is more like she has all 3c hair with a 3a area and my mom is 3b in back, 3a in the middle and 2b in the front. She has to braid her front in order to WNG. It's dries almost completely straight, just a little frizzy.,

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

:yep: I feel you on that, but at least mine is in the back

I have one in the very back. I don't really treat it any differently. It is much easier to detangle.

If I ever go back to relaxers, I will probably relax that part last or relax it every other time. In my relaxed years, that section would always get damaged/overprocessed/break off.

It's in the back of my hair (right above the nape).

I don't treat it any differently than the rest of my hair. The worst part is that it 'hangs' more when the rest of my hair just fluffs outward, which makes it look like I have a floppy fro.

I have one in the very back. I don't really treat it any differently. It is much easier to detangle.

If I ever go back to relaxers, I will probably relax that part last or relax it every other time. In my relaxed years, that section would always get damaged/overprocessed/break off.

All of this is me to a "T"

Although I went back to relaxers in the Fall of 2009 in the fall of 2010 is when I decided to relax my nape every other one.

It works out really well. That section relaxes sooooo easily I can barely tell the difference btwn the relaxed hair and natural hair.

Wow, so suprised other women have this. Dh has grown his hair out and he has a 3a/b patch in the back . I have never seen anything like it. It is very hard to lock and super soft in comparison to his 4a hair. He doesn't treat it any different then the rest of his hair.

I have a little bit in the front. It has less shrinkage and larger curls than the rest of my hair. I also have a 3B patch in the very back at the nape. It looks like really fine baby hair. It doesn't really curl. I don't treat it any different than the rest of my hair. Matter of fact a lot of it has been pulled out because those little strands get caught on everything.

I have a loose texture in the nape too, it hangs longer but I treat it like the rest and still identify as a four.

Questions:
1 Where is yours? My nape, and it covers the entire back of my head then I have a 4b crown... Its so weird having the two extremes of my hair right next to one another.

2 Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair? Nope

3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with? This hair is much easier to deal with. It barely tangles, and tolerates most products well. I don't like the way it looks when flat ironed though, its to thin for my taste. I am 10 months post :grin: and the area is thickening up a bit, so im very pleased about that.

It's like in the back of my hairline, like an inch of my nape.

I don't treat it differently. When I BC'ed, I thought that they just didn't cut my hair evenly since it hung longer than the rest of my hair. I don't treat it differently. My 4 hair likes a lot of product and the 3c patch just gets really weighed down.

It is easier to deal with :look: It seems like the comb just glides through it compared to the rest of my hair BUT I always talk about how I don't want that patch of 3c because it looks silly rocking my fro and having an inch of curly hair hanging down.

LOL I hear you! This is what I see for me if I BC! At least yours is easy to comb. I don't know why mine is so unruly.

1 Where is yours?
Mine is at the front of my hairline about 2 inches deep, and at the back of my hairline, it is very frustrated as I wear my hair in a WnG style, this hair is mainly straight with a little bit of a wave pattern.

I use the same products, but I have to manipulate these sections with a brush/comb to try and get it to match the rest of my hair

3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with?
I find it very challenging dealing with this type of hair, although it is easier to comb it, it takes a lot of manipulation on a daily basis, lol

My nape is 3c. I treat it the same as the rest of my 4a hair. I think 4a/3c is very common and does not really require such different hair for each type. I would say the 3c section is less prone to tangling than say the crown which is dry dense 4a.

uestions:
1 Where is yours?
Mine is in the middle the nape of my neck.

No, maybe I should, but I'm not that patient, and I have whole bunch different textures on my head anyway.

3.Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with.
That part of my hair seems to really tangle around the rest of my 4a spirals in the back of my head. Seems like I get more ssks there than I do in my 4b sections. Also I totally have a tail when I do wash n gos but it doesn't really bother me.

Questions:

1. Where is yours?

In the back above the nape

2. Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair?

Not really. It does respond/behave differently though.

3. Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with.

Neither. It's not easier or worse per se, it's just different. Lighter products work on that portion but the rest of my hair needs heavier stuff.

I can't really speak to if I'll use the same products on both when i'm 100 percent au natural, but i'm not sure if i could. My 3c hair needs moisture but can't tolerate any oil. I thought I was 4a/4b but now I'm not so sure. Dd is a true fine textured 4a with springy pencil spirals, and i see a lot of obvious 4a's. I thought I found some, but it turned out they were just opposing s-curls. All I know is it's not the same as what's at the nape and it is super duper dry!

1 Where is yours? At my nape.

2 Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair?Sort of. I'll explain more below.

3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with. More challenging I guess. It tangles and is more prone to SSKs than any other part of my hair so detangling carefully and stretching it while I move on to detangle another section is critical. Also, I must take extra care on days where I wear a garment with any type of collar that may come in contact with that area so as not to get SSKs from the simple act of turning my head during the day:perplexed. Needless to say, I try to wear more collarless shirts. Before being natural and LHCF, I had no idea I had different hair types on my head. I still :love: my hair though.

1 Where is yours? Smack dab front and center, then at my crown, and then at my nape (this hair is a bit coarser than the other areas)
2 Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair? Nope
3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with. I find it easier to deal with those areas, because they stay moisturized the longest and detangle the quickest.

I can't really speak to if I'll use the same products on both when i'm 100 percent au natural, but i'm not sure if i could. My 3c hair needs moisture but can't tolerate any oil. I thought I was 4a/4b but now I'm not so sure. Dd is a true fine textured 4a with springy pencil spirals, and i see a lot of obvious 4a's. I thought I found some, but it turned out they were just opposing s-curls. All I know is it's not the same as what's at the nape and it is super duper dry!

I use the same thing on everything lol. You just have to learn what works for all of it. Right now I'm loving sealing after a cowash/leave-in on damp hair with castor oil. I think that alot of ladies are possibly experiencing breakage due to the hair feeling "ok" but actually being dry. Even though my grass is fine, it prefers heavier moisture on damp hair.... (like QB's AOHC)

1 Where is yours?

It's straight across the back of my head from ear to ear.

Only when I relax or use heat because it straightens very easily.

3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with.

Yes while I'm relaxed; it doesn't tangle as much and like I said, it straightens easily, but

No when I was natural; it had a very loose curl pattern which did not blend well with the rest of my hair.

I was natural for two years and initially when I bc'd I took off too much at the back because I did it myself and didn't realize that it wasn't relaxed hair I was cutting. When my hair grew out I had a Mullet! :nono: and my hair never looked right because the back always hung way to low.
I believe now that I'm relaxed, my patch is the reason I always have 'a tail' because it either grows faster, or retains length better. Every now and then I trim it back to let the rest of my hair catch up.

Questions:
1 Where is yours? above my nape
2 Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair? no
3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with. I'm relaxed so it doesn't get long enough to affect me

Mine is actually more like a "3b" than a 3c :perplexed, but this wasn't an option, so I'm rolling with the survey lol---

1 Where is yours? middle of my nape
2 Do you treat it any differently from the rest of your hair? Nope. Too lazy for all that.
3Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with. Challenging? no. Annoying? YES. The rest of my hair is 4b, with this adopted patch of 3b in the back. You do the math :perplexed :lol:

Questions:
1 Where is yours?
My 3c hair is all around the perimeter of my head and goes in about 2 inches deep. May be a little more in the front. The rest of my hair is a courser 4a texture.

I treat it all the same and so far no problems. This section is a lot easier to moisturize and responds much better to protein treatments than my 4a hair.

3Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with.
I find it's easier to detangle these sections and it is easier for them to stay moisturized. The only thing is that my twists in these sections get fuzzy faster than the rest of my head and I usually have to redo those portions sooner. Also sometimes the back hangs so much I have a mullet wng. I usually just take pins and pin up the back so it's all the same length.

My entire nape is 3c, and I have some other patches randomly throughout my hair. I do not treat it any differently than the rest of my hair. I do notice more SSKs there. And yes, it does result in a mullet for me. :lol: It's the reason why I don't wear my hair loose, whether it's a WNG or a twistout. I always end up wearing it in a puff.

1 Where is yours?

It's straight across the back of my head from ear to ear.

Only when I relax or use heat because it straightens very easily.

3 Do you find it easier or more challenging to deal with.

Yes while I'm relaxed; it doesn't tangle as much and like I said, it straightens easily, but

No when I was natural; it had a very loose curl pattern which did not blend well with the rest of my hair.

I was natural for two years and initially when I bc'd I took off too much at the back because I did it myself and didn't realize that it wasn't relaxed hair I was cutting. When my hair grew out I had a Mullet! :nono: and my hair never looked right because the back always hung way to low.
I believe now that I'm relaxed, my patch is the reason I always have 'a tail' because it either grows faster, or retains length better. Every now and then I trim it back to let the rest of my hair catch up.

see...this is what I think will happen to me. My patch is borderline 3b. Parts of it spiral up like 3c but it definitely hangs in a way my 4b hair does not. This is really bothering me now! LOL I'm thinking of BC'ing or transitioning another year. I'm now seriously considering trying to wait until the 4 hair is long enough to cover the three hair...which it probably never will b/c of the "shrankage!"

Like most people mine is in the nape and I have another one right in the front of my head from hairline to 2 inches back.

I don't treat it differently

My patch is in the front and it gets on my nerves. I have to be carefull how I wear my hair in the front because it looks really thin if I don't blend it right or if I put too many products on that part it looks really wavy and not curly. But other than that I don't treat it any differently than the rest of my hair.

I have a 3b-3aish patch in the front of my head and in the back. I can litterally part it out:look: It also stays more moisturized and soft then the rest of my hair.

I do not do anything differently.

Back