If you can't use humectants in the winter then what are you using?

StarScream35

I know I'm ahead of myself but all this humidity has got me to thinking about winter. I'm just curious about the ladies who live in dry winters and cannot use humectants. What are you using in the place of humectants?

i have read about placing the product on your hair before jumping to the shower, to trap in moisture.

also, place a humectant free moisturizer, oil, then the humectant product. i am gearing up for the winter too. i live in IL, so the winters here can get really dry and ugly.

i'm went back to using QB products too and plan on using the AOHC for my sealant in the winter.

I transition away from my summer/Spring products that have humectants and focus on the products in my routine that are heavier moisturizers (that would maybe weigh my hair down in the summer). I am also a lot more diligent about sealing my ends with oil (I in general use more oils in the winter) and bunning my hair.

I stick to moisturizers and leave-ins that doesn't have humectants, especially glycerin. Oils, butters and up protective styles (buns mostly) are worn 100% of the time I go out.

I use Bee Mine Luscious year around and love it. That way, I don't have to concern myself with the change in temp/climate/season. Using one catch all moisturizer helps to simplify my regi, budget and stash.

i have read about placing the product on your hair before jumping to the shower, to trap in moisture.

also, place a humectant free moisturizer, oil, then the humectant product. i am gearing up for the winter too. i live in IL, so the winters here can get really dry and ugly.

i'm went back to using QB products too and plan on using the AOHC for my sealant in the winter.
I wanna look into that, sounds interesting.

My winter plan is to find a good conditioner and use it as a leave in and then seal with a butter (Olive, Shea, Avocado and/or Hemp). I wonder since I DC with alot of honey if that will be an issue in the winter, I doubt it but I've never done it before....we will see.

^^^ i got that info from Naturally Curly forum. i don't know about the honey and how will it work in the winter, since it is a humectant.

Okay, it's hard because everyone lives in a different places, so in different climates.
The 2 thing I know and which is logical (for me :) ):
during winter, humidity level in air can be low(depends on where you live) so you have to use an humectant for catch/capture it.
during summer, humidity level is high, so you don't need a humectant.

but my hair(4type), are dry naturally, so moisture is never enough for me :spinning:
i use a humectant whatever the season we are in. it just my hair doesn't like glycerin, so I use another humectant (there are lots of humectants, sodium lactate, sodium pca, honeyquat, honey(powder form/liquid form, sugar(sucrose, fructose lol) agave nectar, some hydrolysed proteins (rice, wheat, silk) use at 0.5 to 5%)all are with different power, I just use the one which works better for me)

As I said, we live in different climates, and above all in the same country you can have different climates. One thing can help : looking at dew point. I think it's NaturallyCurly who did this great article. depending on dew point you can see if you need to use an humectant or not.
But as I said, I personnaly don't relate to this article, my hair and skin is seriously dry naturally due to my ethnicity, ii'm not gonna check weather if I need to bring moisture on my skin/hair lol.

ETA : Okay I've just found the link of the article which may help you in your request :
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point

hydrogenated oils (avocado butter) are very "antihumectant" as well as moisturizing when you seal with them. so is leaving in a lot of regular humectant free conditioner (Giovanni, Aubrey Organics...). Remoisturizing with diluited or pure conditioner, sealing with the butter, wearing braidouts and twistouts, flaxseed gel (it is humectant free), and ceramide oils (sunflower, wheatgerm) work for me.

I use a bit of Aubrey Organics conditioner and seal with an oil. That really saved my hair when I was transitioning.

Back