If i went natural what hair products/styling products would i need?

Inches411

Im pretty sure i could use some of the same products used as relaxed hair but i know that some might not work as well. Come on naturals help me out. My hair type is 4a/4b. Products names would be appreciated.

4B/A...
Many Naturals Swear by Giovnni DIRECT LEAVE-IN conditioner
Which by the way is on sale at Ulta right now.

You'll need a seamless comb maybe a Denman Brush

Natural oils like Amla or Coconut or Emu
Glycerine
And lots of conditioners & detanglers.

My favorites are in my fotki products section.

Silicon Mix is the junk!:lick:

I like to use homemade products - you should also check to homemade recipes forum.

My favorites:
coconut oil, olive, avocado oil, essential oil like lavender can be added to water to make water based hair spritzes or to base oils like olive to make conditioning oils. I like shea butter and aloe vera mixed together for pomades. Apple cider vinegar rinses and baking soda are good for clarifying. There is a lot of information on the board on using ayurvedic cleansing teas and using shampoo bars. I like all natural homemade products b/c I never have to be dependent on any brand - especially when they change their formulas and their products don't work as good - like Carol's daughter and Jamaican Mango & Lime did.:ohwell:

I use all that now and I'm relaxed 4a/b. I am still contemplating on whether I want to go natural or not. I havent had a relaxer since January 19, 2008 and although it's only been 10 weeks, I feel like my hair is already healthier and stronger without the relaxer by using the products. So if they work great on my chemically processed ends, then I'm sure they would be the shiznik on my natural hair.

*I use Amla Shine Shampoo for a clarifier (i've only used it once so far)
*I co-wash with Suave Tropical Coconut Con with Amla oil mixed in
*I DC with Hair mayonaise and Honey under the dryer for 30-45 min
*I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In
*Spray with a mix of Coconut oil & Hawaiian Silky Moisturizer
* I always find a way to incorporate EVOO in the mix as well

HTH and Good luck transitioning!

It would be helpful to know the thickness of your hair, like if it is fine, medium, or thick. As much as products matter, technique matters as well. Oils/butters on my hair do NOTHING....

My suggestions:

Elucence moisture balance shampoo
Elucence mouisture balance conditioner (works as a leave-in or rinse out)

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Aubrey Organics GPB (protein)

Giovanni Tea Tree Treat(?) moisture conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner
Jane Carter Solutions Conditioner

Fantasia IC gel (brown and clear). Does not have drying alcohols

Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Treatment (monthly for me)

Denman brush

Large detangling comb

Clips (to section hair)

Microfiber towel

It really depends on your hair. It's all about trial and error. And as your hair grows out those products may change. I'm natural but I don't use a lot of the things naturals rave about on the board. Like for instance, I don't use oils, greases or butters. I don't cowash frequently either. I use commercial products and they're usually "white" people products. But I found all that out through trial and error.

Like glamazon said, it depends on your hair. Every natural's hair is different.

You'll definitely need a moisturizer. Stay away from drying shampoos - get a moisturizing one or do a low/no-poo regimen. You probably won't need a protein deep conditioner as much as while relaxed. I don't use one. Co-washing isn't necessary for some (including me), but you can try it. Denman brush - I don't use one, but some do.

As for product names, just go out and try what you think may work. I tend to hear that more natural products work best on 4a/4b, so you may want to go that route. Qhemet, Oyin, etc.

Last edited:
Like glamazon said, it depends on your hair. Every natural's hair is different.

You'll definitely need a moisturizer. Stay away from drying shampoos - get a moisturizing one or do a low/no-poo regimen. You probably won't need a protein deep conditioner as much as while relaxed. I don't use one. Co-washing isn't necessary for some (including me), but you can try it. Denman brush - I don't use one, but some do.
As for product names, just go out and try what you think may work. I tend to hear that more natural products work best on 4a/4b, so you may want to go that route. Qhemet, Oyin, etc.

Our hair sounds similar. I don't do any of the bolded either. But on the flip side I don't do low or no poo. I use shampoo everytime I wash. My hair doesn't feel clean without it. Only wash once a week unless I need to change my style (ie get product out) then I might do it mid week. Other than that I leave my hair alone.

Back