If I see another Shed Hair.....

Shinka

I am going to scream.

I know I haven't posted in awhile. I have gone from natural to relax repeatedly in the past like 8 year. I have been an LHCF member since like 03 or something, but I can't figure this problem out.

Scenario.

I am currently relaxed as of April 2010. My cousine used a boxed Optimum reg. on my little under a year natural hair. Because I wasn't planning to relax it was spur of the moment. I no longer possessed all the essentials such as a hooded dryer etc etc. I thought that would be my final time going natural and gave lots of stuff away. ( I'm Bipolar, I operate at extremes, so don't laugh:drunk:).

Anyway, I was using the curling iron twice a week after I washed. About week 4, I notice my hair all over my hands when I washed. I examined it and it was a mixture of hair with white bulb & some without( i.e. broken strains).

My remedy, more protein. cause I felt my hair was limp. One of washes each week, I did and intensive protein conditioner ( Motions CPR reconstructor & another professional protein treatment.) The add infusium 23 as leave for my rollersets cause i went out a bought a dryer. No Change. I thought maybe its the demarcation issue cause I new growth ( although this doesn't explain the shedding)

Long story short, I decided to go back to LYE cause my hair thrives on it. So I used

• Mizani Butter blends (FABULOUS...I am in LOVE),
  • followed by Roux Porosity control Conditioner
  • Mizani Neutralizer/Chelating Shampoo. I did two washes and each one sat for like 5 min with it in.
  • Aphogee Intensive treatment
When done with aphogee, I applied the balance moisturizer and prayed for a Christmas miracle.

BUT I STILL HAD HAIR ON MY HANDS. Granted not as much, but this is concerning me. So I seek help. I counted 15 strains with white bulbs and 3 breakage strands on my hand.

I seekye NOBLE ones to help me with the mostly Shedding & Breakage issue.

( Oh this may be important, prior to the perm like day before I took out Braids redid from a African braiding. They were in for about 2 months, my edges thinned/damaged and my scalp really hurt for a few weeks. Do you think this is revelant to the Shedding?)

I tried to be thorough.......Help Please :)

I am going to scream.

I know I haven't posted in awhile. I have gone from natural to relax repeatedly in the past like 8 year. I have been an LHCF member since like 03 or something, but I can't figure this problem out.

Scenario.

I am currently relaxed as of April 2010. My cousine used a boxed Optimum reg. on my little under a year natural hair. Because I wasn't planning to relax it was spur of the moment. You weren't prepared to relax. You didn't have all of the proper tools, products.I no longer possessed all the essentials such as a hooded dryer etc etc. I thought that would be my final time going natural and gave lots of stuff away. ( I'm Bipolar, I operate at extremes, so don't laugh:drunk:).

Anyway, I was using the curling iron twice a week after I washed. using the curling iron so often causes damage if you don't use heat prot. & your hair may have been weak prior to relaxing from braids. Which resulted in >> About week 4, I notice my hair all over my hands when I washed. I examined it and it was a mixture of hair with white bulb & some without( i.e. broken strains).

My remedy, more protein. cause I felt my hair was limp. One of washes each week, I did and intensive protein conditioner ( Motions CPR reconstructor & another professional protein treatment.) << Did you follow up with a moisturizing DC? if not that can cause dry hair and breakage.The add infusium 23 as leave for my rollersets cause i went out a bought a dryer. No Change. I thought maybe its the demarcation issue cause I new growth ( although this doesn't explain the shedding)

Long story short, I decided to go back to LYE cause my hair thrives on it. So I used

• Mizani Butter blends (FABULOUS...I am in LOVE),
  • followed by Roux Porosity control Conditioner
  • Mizani Neutralizer/Chelating Shampoo. I did two washes and each one sat for like 5 min with it in.
  • Aphogee Intensive treatment
When done with aphogee, I applied the balance moisturizer and prayed for a Christmas miracle.

BUT I STILL HAD HAIR ON MY HANDS. Granted not as much, but this is concerning me. So I seek help. I counted 15 strains with white bulbs and 3 breakage strands on my hand.

I seekye NOBLE ones to help me with the mostly Shedding & Breakage issue.

( Oh this may be important, prior to the perm like day before I took out Braids redid from a African braiding. They were in for about 2 months, my edges thinned/damaged and my scalp really hurt for a few weeks. Do you think this is revelant to the Shedding?)

I tried to be thorough.......Help Please :)

When was the last hard core protein? If more than 4 weeks that do another one but follow up with the moisturizing DC. Do a roller set & NO curling iron. once the roller set starts to wear out bun for the rest of the week.
Then every week there after use a DC like QH cholesterol mixed with Jherri Rhedding natural protein (its a light natural protein) with heat. I am unsure about infusium as I use She scent it leave in.
This should strengthen your hair. Also drink LOTS of water and take vitamins. Do your hard core protein every 6 weeks. Co wash when you can

hair4romheaven: Thank you for your assessment.

You are correct, I wasn't prepared to relax that particular weekend although it was on an internal battle for months. I did a hardcore protein treatment today with the aphogee. I did regular protein treatments followed by mositurizing conditioners each week for the past three weeks.

Thank for the regimen advice. I have put the curling back in PJ heaven ( my product storage bin). I have a short hair cut with the back shaved so I can bun right now, but I did an am planning to focus on the rollersets. I can do pin curls in place of bunning or a wrap.

Thank for the conditioning regimen, its what I had in mind. Mild protein with conditioning here on out weekly. Intensive (hard) every 6 weeks.

You are right, I do need to nurture internally. I agree the braids may have weakened my hair and scalp. I take a morning vitamin & flaxseed oil daily, but I may need to hit up GNC for hair nails skin vitamin.

Thank you. You help me solidify some thoughts. At least I am close to right track. I guess I have to wait for products to work since my impatience and mishandled caused the damaged. Aargh

Curling irons are the devil. I blame it.

I know, but they are like a chocolate cake...so enticing... until you think about where its going to go, usually to the hips or gut.

Like Cake, I will curling irons on to special occasions, if necessary

hair4romheaven: Thank you for your assessment.

You are correct, I wasn't prepared to relax that particular weekend although it was on an internal battle for months. I did a hardcore protein treatment today with the aphogee. I did regular protein treatments followed by mositurizing conditioners each week for the past three weeks.<<< I am unsure this sounds like alot.

Thank for the regimen advice. I have put the curling back in PJ heaven ( my product storage bin). I have a short hair cut with the back shaved so I can bun right now, but I did an am planning to focus on the rollersets. I can do pin curls in place of bunning or a wrap.

Thank for the conditioning regimen, its what I had in mind. Mild protein with conditioning here on out weekly. Intensive (hard) every 6 weeks.

You are right, I do need to nurture internally. I agree the braids may have weakened my hair and scalp. I take a morning vitamin & flaxseed oil daily, but I may need to hit up GNC for hair nails skin vitamin. YES!!

Thank you. You help me solidify some thoughts. At least I am close to right track. I guess I have to wait for products to work since my impatience and mishandled caused the damaged. Aargh

You're welcome. Great minds think alike.
What daily moisturizer are you spritzing? I use she scent it its very light if you need something more moisturizing I suggest Taaliah Waajid bodifying mist..both are natural products
Try co-washing. I use jasons bitoin conditoner. I love natural products and my hair thanks me for it
. :yep:

You're welcome. Great minds think alike.
What daily moisturizer are you spritzing? I use she scent it its very light if you need something more moisturizing I suggest Taaliah Waajid bodifying mist..both are natural products
Try co-washing. I use jasons bitoin conditoner. I love natural products and my hair thanks me for it
. :yep:

I currently use Cathy Howse Dew, but it does have cones in it. I love it since like 98...lol Thank for the suggesting of Taaliah. Do you find it in regular BSS or online?

I think my second was a week needs to be a CO wash since its getting hotter an now that I ill have a mixture of bone straight & Lye ( texlax) hair.

I never ben really up on the natural products, but I think I may transition to them.

Thanks again.

I AM NOW NATURAL BUT EVEN AS A RELAXED HEAD MY HAIR ALWAYS SHED ESPECIALLY AROUND THIS TIME OF YEAR WHEN IT STARTS GETTING HOTTER. MY HAIR SEEMS TO GROW AT N ACCELERATED RATE. I DID TRY GARLIC SHAMPOO WHEN I WAS RELAXED AND IT DID HELP HOWEVER IT LEFT MY HAIR VERY DRY. I JUST ACCEPT IT. I HAVE A GANG OF O'S IN THE SHOWER RIGHT NOW BUT IT IS OK, IT IS THE WAY IT IS.

I think it may also have to do with the fact that you relaxed the day after you took down braids. Braids can be a stressful style on the hair and scalp, and then taking them down can be alot of manipulation. So after taking braids down, the hair and scalp should be given some time to rest. This is especially important in your case, because your braids gave you scalp and hair trouble, and some rest might have been especially beneficial to your strands.

Hair4romheaven gave good advice on what you should do, especially the internal stuff, but I'd also recommend that you try using a garlic conditioner, shampoo or supplements to help halt the shedding. And in the future, give your hair at least a week of rest in between removing braids or weave and relaxing. In fact, I think it's best to take down the style, detangle it carefully in sections, gently wash it, do a mild-moderate protein treatment, do a moisturizing DC, and then gently dry it. Making sure that the hair and scalp are well fortified and nourished before relaxing goes a long way towards keeping this sort of thing from happening.

Good luck! I'm sure your hair will bounce back quickly!

I AM NOW NATURAL BUT EVEN AS A RELAXED HEAD MY HAIR ALWAYS SHED ESPECIALLY AROUND THIS TIME OF YEAR WHEN IT STARTS GETTING HOTTER. MY HAIR SEEMS TO GROW AT N ACCELERATED RATE. I DID TRY GARLIC SHAMPOO WHEN I WAS RELAXED AND IT DID HELP HOWEVER IT LEFT MY HAIR VERY DRY. I JUST ACCEPT IT.
I HAVE A GANG OF O'S IN THE SHOWER RIGHT NOW BUT IT IS OK, IT IS THE WAY IT
IS.

Thank you for the input. As I recollect, the shedding has happened before around this time of year. Both when I was natural and relaxed. I think because my ends are bone strait, I am noticing the thinning, buri have no bald spots and the roots are thick. I guess I just have to suffer through the process

i wonder if it's from the optimum reg relaxer. i switched to it about 6 months ago and have noticed increased shedding. i didn't make the connection until i read your post. although it could have been the lack of time between relaxing and taking the braids out too. joico kpak reconstructor (protein treatment) has been helpful to me.

I'm not sure what's relevant to your shedding, but tea rinses are good for shedding hair. LHCF member Traycee did a You Tube about it. I also do them, and I think they're great.

I am taking a Saw Palmetto supplement for shedding and i think its working. It works by blocking DHT in the body which causes hair loss/shedding and acne.

I'm no expert on the science bit so do a search on LHCF and on Google.

Back