Identifying Sources of Breakage

Kaela

This might be one of those posts containing information that you already know, but it never hurts to have reminders....
think.gif

Possible Causes Of Breakage
1. Over/underprocessing w/ chemicals & color
2. Too much protein conditioning
3. Singeing hair w/ heat appliances
4. Comb or brush snagging hair
5. Overconditioning leading to weak fragile hair (too-soft effect)
6. Dryness (that has its own list of causes)
7. Rough fingernails snagging hair
8. "Stripped" hair (i.e. harsh shampoos)
9. Product buildup
10. Products containing harsh alcohols
11. Unfriendly accessories (cotton scarves, cotton scrunchies, cotton pillowcases, hairbands that are not 'ouchless', any clip, pin, or barrette with sharp metal parts that can touch the hair).
12. Pulling hair too tight in styles
13. Irritation to scalp/hair follicles can lead to excessive shedding, which can be mistaken as breakage.
14. Mindless manipulation (playing in hair w/o thinking about it, like twirling small pieces repeatedly).
15. Diet changes, allergic reaction, and/or stress that can lead to shedding and/or breakage
16. Chemicals in water source (i.e. excessively hard water, chlorine, etc.)
17. Rough handling, such as detangling from top down
18. Improper airdrying
19. Neglect...period
20. Overload (too much of a good thing isn't so good).

brainy.gif

Any others?

I've done lots of the above. I have a terrible case of "hand in hair" disease. Luckily, wearing my hair up prevents this but I do find, if I give myself a breather at home, I catch myself twirling my hair! Thanks for this post!
I wonder though - how much conditioning is too much?? Especially considering some people condition wash their hair every day. What about deep conditioning once a week?

I don't think that there is a "set" amount of time (or space in days) for too much conditioning, but when you do it, your hair certainly tells you...I have done it before, unfortunately I don't remember what I had done the prior week, but my hair was just yuck when it was damp. It fit the symptoms that other ladies had described on this board when they felt they had 'overconditioned'.

I think its a combination of how often you are doing it, your technique, and what products you are using, but there certainly aren't any rules...

Also, don't pull to tight or put to much hair on your magnetic roller when using the snap covers. I noticed that when putting to much hair or pulling to tight the snap cover is capable of breaking and/or cutting the hair. I wet set and airdry by usually sleeping in them and I'm sure this is why my hair is short on my left side above my sideburn.

Thanks alot for posting this. Somehow I always have to contend with hair breakage. Either I use too much protein or Oil. Other times not enough protein.

Really sometimes I tell myself to go back to greese and forget all I have ever leaned about hair.

Back