IC Fantasia Gel - is this supposed to happen?

yamilee21

After seeing so many references to this gel here, I happened to see it at Target so I bought some. I used it on Tuesday after washing with conditioner - I was in a rush to leave the house so I put my hair in a ponytail, putting just enough gel to slick it back, and some to keep the ponytail from getting too poofy. With every gel or other product, the slicked-back effect only lasts a few hours, and my edges start to frizz up and escape. But it has been almost two days, I have done nothing to maintain it and yet my edges are still smooth and flat. It looks about the same as when I straighten with heat. :confused:

I wouldn't be worried about any type of damage, it's just a really great product that works phenomenally for many. When my hair was shorter the Fantasia IC gel got my edges super sleek despite the fact that my hair was natural; I'd tie my hair down at night and wake up with neat edges for days.

Yes...which is why it's the best IMO :yep:

I've tried, and been disappointed by, so many different gels; this one just seems too good to be true! Why didn't I know about this gel before?! I may never do anything besides a "wash and go" again. :infatuated:

Well, maybe not... the shrinkage was still as bad as with other gels, :lol:

Add extra virgin olive oil (evoo) to this gel (the green one)....it made a big difference for me. I have 4a, b, and c hair. I love the mixture and what it does for my hair...it totally defines my curls without the dryness and I have less shrinkage with the evoo added. Good Luck!!

Ha, it is so funny to see this thread bumped up, because the IC Fantasia Gel does not work so miraculously on my hair anymore. I've actually been wondering whether it is because I have mostly eliminated silicone products - when I used it last spring, I was still washing my hair with conditioners that contain silicones, but I don't use silicone conditioners anymore. Now when I use it, my edges escape within a few hours. :lol:

I just bought some of the fantasia Ic and some of the blue eco styler (for color treated hair hold is a level 5 I think) at the same time. I tried the eco styler first it worked well for slicking down but made my hair a little hard and I had a lotta shrinkage. I tried the IC today and I love it it defines my hair beautifully without being hard and gave it a nice shine.

I've thought about buying this product. I'm relaxed but going for a 26 week stretch. I am currently almost 12 weeks and my NG around my hairline needs some major intervention and I think this product, combined with Hawaiian silky 14 n1 and my scarf, could work for me.
Is this gel drying or damaging to the hair in any way? TIA

After seeing so many references to this gel here, I happened to see it at Target so I bought some. I used it on Tuesday after washing with conditioner - I was in a rush to leave the house so I put my hair in a ponytail, putting just enough gel to slick it back, and some to keep the ponytail from getting too poofy. With every gel or other product, the slicked-back effect only lasts a few hours, and my edges start to frizz up and escape. But it has been almost two days, I have done nothing to maintain it and yet my edges are still smooth and flat. It looks about the same as when I straighten with heat. :confused:
Sounds to me to struck up a good match with your hair and the gel. Which one did you use?

I've thought about buying this product. I'm relaxed but going for a 26 week stretch. I am currently almost 12 weeks and my NG around my hairline needs some major intervention and I think this product, combined with Hawaiian silky 14 n1 and my scarf, could work for me.
Is this gel drying or damaging to the hair in any way? TIA
It was drying for me until I adding a few tablespoons of olive oil to each jar. I'm partial to the green olive oil gel or the blue gel for color treated hair. So many people rave about the green gel but I actually like the blue one better. BTW I'm natural and I only use them for wash & go's.

Ironically the clear gel is the one almost NO ONE I know likes :lol:. But good luck if you try any of them. I hope they work for you.

Back