I'am thinking about getting Braids-should I trim first?

blazingthru

I have a neighbor thats best friends with my daughter that will trim my hair for me today. she is a stylist - anyway I want braids. I am wanting a short vacation from hair and was wondering if I should trim before I put the braids in. I haven't decided what kind of braids I am going to get:spinning: I want cornrows but they won't look good in the office. so thats out. I want twist but not sure if I can really rock twist or not. thinking of braids a little thicker then micros - I also thought of a weave too but thats just as expensive as braids and I dont' feel like doing anything but sitting in the chair and watching movies not running around trying to get the hair. Help want to know whats best for now. Also which protects your hair better twist or braids.

I always get twists because they're easier to take out. If you don't need a trim, then I wouldn't get one. You might need one when you take the braids out though. So then you'd be trimming twice.

:bump::bump:

I have 2 weeks to determine what I'm going to do before putting my braids in also! What to do, what to do. But I have some breakage which looks serious to me. I don't know if I want to try ApH. treatment before I put the braids in though.

Trim only if trim is needed...If you need a trim then before u get your braids would be a good time to do it

I haven't trimmed since march 07, I was thinking about not and then get the braids/twist and then trim when I remove them.

My two cents:

I would trim your hair if you have the little the knots on the ends and your hair gets tangled. While I take pretty good care of my hair and take my time detangling it before every braid, braiders don't take as much time combing it out and if my hair coils around it because of the knots on the ends, they just rounghly pull on it causing my hair to stretch or break.

I would get braids over twists. I found that braids last longer...event though twists are easier to take out...AND when I had twist my hair was in the "loc like" clumps. Detangling was a nightmare and I don't know the next time I will be getting twists.

I agree with Glamazon and delitefulmane, trim after you take the braids out, not before.

If they are not damaged (split, dry, breaking), there really wouldn't be a reason to trim if you're getting braids.

Personally, I'm a little weary of letting any old person put their hands in my hair, especially with some scissors :nono: If you should decide to trim.....make sure this lady knows the difference between a TRIM and a CUT!!!!!

Yes, I agree with the others. Trim AFTER:yep:

If you trim now(especially if it's a blunt cut) you hair may stick out of the braids. And some braids don't like to see that so they end up cutting you real hair that's sticking out just to clean up or neaten the style.:nono:

b4 i went down the track trail i rocked the mess out of every braid stlye. i would wash, condition, and trim my hair b4 i put new braids. that kept my ends healthy and i kept my length.

I could not make up my mind what I wanted to do so I trimmed off 1 inch and 1/2 inches in other places I wanted to cry. you think you can't tell the difference Ha you sure can. To afraid of the braids, my edges are strong I do not want to weakend then. I am not close to my goal now, I am futher away. Oh well atleast I did not have one tangle in the shower this morning. I won't reach my goal but April but maybe september or Christmas I will be armpit who knows.

My two cents:

I would trim your hair if you have the little the knots on the ends and your hair gets tangled. While I take pretty good care of my hair and take my time detangling it before every braid, braiders don't take as much time combing it out and if my hair coils around it because of the knots on the ends, they just rounghly pull on it causing my hair to stretch or break.

I would get braids over twists. I found that braids last longer...event though twists are easier to take out...AND when I had twist my hair was in the "loc like" clumps. Detangling was a nightmare and I don't know the next time I will be getting twists.
Thank you I will consider this, when I finally make up my mind.

Trim after....trimming before braiding only leaves nice blunt ends that tend to stick out of the braid. Ends sticking out of your braids may make your braider more inclined to cut them in order to give your braids a neater appearance. When you take your braids out, your hair may look like it needs to be trimmed again because of the braider cuting off your blunt ends.

when i wore braids last year, i'd get a trim before getting my braids re-done, so i'd have nice pretty ends whenever i took them out. that way, i wouldn't have to deal with the trauma of having to get a super trim after braids; i could just dust away the splits instead.

i guess it's up to you, though.

Back