I will Not use Henna again!!

~~HoneyComb~~

Yesterday I bought a box of black henna, and I was very excited about using it because of all the rave reviews from henna users. I did my patch test yesterday to make sure I wasn't allergic, and this morning I set aside a few hours to let it sit on my hair. I am natural and my hair is bsl when straightened.

Well I expected it to be messy, which is was, but that wasn't the main problem. As I was washing it out in the shower, the little grainy things were not coming out of my hair. I shampooed, I conditioned, I shampooed again, I conditioned again, and still the little grains were still there. After about an hour in the shower, I gave up. I got out of the shower, sectioned my hair and still more grains all over the sink, on my hands, and just all in my hair. The little grains were all on my floor, in my sink and they just kept multiplying.

My hair is still full of grains and I know I'll have to wash my hair again tonight, and tomorrow and so forth for about a week until this stuff if washed out of my hair. Not including the cleanup after it get on everything in my bathroom.

Ladies, is there anyway to get rid of these grainy things easier, and how do you ladies that henna deal with this twice a month or once a month however many times you henna you hair. Is there a less messier or grain-free henna to use that won't cause this problem.

I believe that henna has it's benefits, but the work that goes into using it and cleaning up behind it is just not worth it to me. I'll probably be cleaning up residual grains for a while!

your hair is pretty in your pics....

sorry that happened to you! I have never used henna so I can't be of help to you on the matter.

hopefully it will all wash out.

Yesterday I bought a box of black henna, and I was very excited about using it because of all the rave reviews from henna users. I did my patch test yesterday to make sure I wasn't allergic, and this morning I set aside a few hours to let it sit on my hair. I am natural and my hair is bsl when straightened.

Well I expected it to be messy, which is was, but that wasn't the main problem. As I was washing it out in the shower, the little grainy things were not coming out of my hair. I shampooed, I conditioned, I shampooed again, I conditioned again, and still the little grains were still there. After about an hour in the shower, I gave up. I got out of the shower, sectioned my hair and still more grains all over the sink, on my hands, and just all in my hair. The little grains were all on my floor, in my sink and they just kept multiplying.

My hair is still full of grains and I know I'll have to wash my hair again tonight, and tomorrow and so forth for about a week until this stuff if washed out of my hair. Not including the cleanup after it get on everything in my bathroom.

Ladies, is there anyway to get rid of these grainy things easier, and how do you ladies that henna deal with this twice a month or once a month however many times you henna you hair. Is there a less messier or grain-free henna to use that won't cause this problem.

I believe that henna has it's benefits, but the work that goes into using it and cleaning up behind it is just not worth it to me. I'll probably be cleaning up residual grains for a while!
Stop the shampooing! Your hair is going to be dry. Rinse, rinse, and rinse again. It helps to fill a basin with water and dunk your head in that. In addition or alternatively, oil rinsing and CO washes are effective at removing the powder.

There are commercial henna products in gel form on the market. They are not pure, but from some of the reviews I've read here, the ladies who have used it were quite happy with the results. Try searching for henna+gel or hennalucent (sp?).

HTH

Last edited:
Yeah, that was my experience as well, you really have to rinse for a good 20 minutes and section the hair and let the water run through each section. I was so frustrated I didn't even let the color take:ohwell:.

I add oil to my henna mix, rinse out is easier and makes it less drying. Also, I use a stick blender to mix everything really well.

OT... You have beautiful hair.

Anything but BAQ henna will produce less than desireable results. I urge you to try genuine henna using a simple mix and you too will be won over.

...I haven't met a henna stain that couldn't come out with a swipe of my Mr. Clean sponge:yawn:

I usually shampoo it out...I can tell when the foam is white not a dirty color meaning there still henna in my hair. I'm sorry your experience with henna wasn't the best but it will get better...:yep: BTW YOur hair is beautiful:grin:

hi.. ok this may sound weird. but their is a secret to washing out henna and other powders use as hair packs. the way you rinse ur hair. you fill up the tub and lower you head and let the water swish through your hair. do the left rite back and for the crown u may have to scoot down. trust me it works. when i use henna i don't even wash. i rinse it out with this method and use a deep conditioner.

Om Tat Sat

Some of them because of how they are sifted can be more grainy than others. You said your whole kit was in a box that means the henna and the color were mixed together or where they separate?

It is usually the henna depending on where you buy it that can be really grainy.

It will wash out though possibly the next wash or two.

So sorry this happened. I usually buy them separately (Henna and Indigo) from Henne Sooq or Mehendi because I know there stuff is finely sifted. If I get my henna from anyone else I expect it to be grainy. I also add oil to my henna to combat this issue.

Your is is absolutely gorgeous by the way.

OT I wonder if there is a way to sift Henna before you use it so that it can be less grainy and you won't have to do multiple washings? I guess that would be a good question to ask HennaSooq.

Last edited:
black henna? which brand did you use? that does not sound like a product that represents the true henna experience if it is called "black henna". I notice that all those off-brands perpertrating like henna always have little twigs and debris in them and seem as if they were not sifted at all.

You can try rinsing your hair out under the running water with a shower comb. You can try to do it with shampoo or conditioner in or while you are rinsing it out.

The fact that it was black henna is rather worrying, in and of itself - henna is red, period. Any 'henna' that is a color other than red isn't pure henna....maybe you got a henna/indigo mix, but :ohwell:

The henna that I use is a very fine, perfectly ground powder (from FNWL), so I don't have to worry about the lil twigs and sticks when I do my hennas. I did get a bootleg henna once from a local store (:nono:) and I found the easiest way to get them out is to soak your hair with conditioner, make sure it's very detangled, and brush it throughly, rinsing your brush regularily. Also, adding conditioner to the henna helps it rinse out easier, as well.

Also, if you have a flour sifter, or a fine mesh screen (like for straining tea) you can sift the henna through that - I do that with some of my other indian powders to get the twiggies out.

Some of them because of how they are sifted can be more grainy than others. You said your whole kit was in a box that means the henna and the color were mixed together or where they separate?

It is usually the henna depending on where you buy it that can be really grainy.

It will wash out though possibly the next wash or two.

So sorry this happened. I usually buy them separately (Henna and Indigo) from Henne Sooq or Mehendi because I know there stuff is finely sifted. If I get my henna from anyone else I expect it to be grainy. I also add oil to my henna to combat this issue.

Your is is absolutely gorgeous by the way.

OT I wonder if there is a way to sift Henna before you use it so that it can be less grainy and you won't have to do multiple washings? I guess that would be a good question to ask HennaSooq.

I know that somewhere on www.hennaforhair.com she has a "henna sifting" tutorial. However I have no clue where I had found that at within her site. :wallbash:

Thanks so much ladies for your quick replies. I really wanted to give henna a try. The henna gel sounds pretty good. I may have gotten a box of boot leg henna from the healthfood store. I don't know what the brand was, it was Indian something or another, and the ingredients distinctly (sp) said "black henna". It looked like green powder before I mixed it with boiling water, and it turned almost black before I applied it. Anyway, I'll be conditioning washing for the next couple of days which will be a pain, because I only wash my hair once a week or every two weeks.

you know everyone is rite about the "black henna" you should use the henna indigo method.

Also was it called.. Kaali Mehendi?

Sorry to hear this HoneyComb! :perplexed My natural hair did not like henna.

Did the color turn out nice, at least?

Sometimes black henna is a mix of henna (Lawsonia Inermis) and indigo (Indigofera Tinctoria). If those are the only two ingredients indicated on the box it won't harm your hair. That is what I use all the time.

Beware of pre-mixes that contain
para-phenylenediamine (PPD) as PPD often causes severe allergic reactions.

Love your spiral sets, BTW. Your hair is really pretty.

From what I red some where, Black henna is nothing but indigo so apart from the grain problems you have had from this, This black henna has nothing to do with conditioning but just colouring....I am sorry you have had problems with it...I learned the had way when I put the henna in my hair while still in braids....it helps when you sift out the grainy bits out....

Honeycomb: Buy a fine strainer that you use to sift flour and sift your henna once or twice BEFORE you use it. You will have a very fine textured henna and get rid of the grainy particles. Also be sure to shampoo-rinse and or rinse for a long time when dealing with henna. Hope this helps. bonjour

i just wanted to say that i have been using henna since last january. i find it no messier than when i used to apply a perm. i do make it a think consistency when i mix it. i use a can of coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, and and olive oil. also ive have no problems rinsing it out. i use the natural henna from from nature with love. i have found that when i use other indian herbs in my hair, i have that problem though. i hope you find the right henna and application process because it has drastically reduced my shedding and covered my grays remarkably well.

Thanks so much ladies for your quick replies. I really wanted to give henna a try. The henna gel sounds pretty good. I may have gotten a box of boot leg henna from the healthfood store. I don't know what the brand was, it was Indian something or another, and the ingredients distinctly (sp) said "black henna". It looked like green powder before I mixed it with boiling water, and it turned almost black before I applied it. Anyway, I'll be conditioning washing for the next couple of days which will be a pain, because I only wash my hair once a week or every two weeks.

The type of black henna you mentioned definitely sounds like Indigo and works great in a two process method to get jet black hair. Check the Search forum on Indigo. hope this helps. Bonjour

black henna? which brand did you use? that does not sound like a product that represents the true henna experience if it is called "black henna". I notice that all those off-brands perpertrating like henna always have little twigs and debris in them and seem as if they were not sifted at all.

You can try rinsing your hair out under the running water with a shower comb. You can try to do it with shampoo or conditioner in or while you are rinsing it out.
Sorry for you experience
I agree..pure BAQ (body art quality) henna is not "black" henna and henna in the pure form will only turn your hair various shades of red depending on the color of the hair or no color if you use Cassia. So, I'm pretty sure this is not pure henna.. also the Jamila henna I use is a fine powder w/o twigs or any other debris and is quite easy to rinse out... If you ever want to try henna again please becareful of the quality you buy... do a search on LHCF for tips on what to look for and never buy henna that says black or blond or any other color because I'm 99.9% sure they aren't pure..also if you want black hair you can use pure indigo or pure indigo & henna..hth

After hearing about the henna last year I decided to try it. My hair was in very good condition. It was AP lenght fine and also very full. I went to the Henna Page and purchased the BAQ henna from the Mehandi Shop. I also printed out the henna handbook with information formulas for mixing and everything you ever wanted to know about henna. I used the henna on my hair and there the disaster began. I believe that I hennaed my hair in April or May of last year and my hair is still coming out. I cannot comb my hair wet and when its dry it also comes out. The henna made my hair very dry and I could not comb through it without getting a large amount of hair. When my hair is wet it tangles up and and not only does it snap off but it snarls on the comb. It has been the worst thing that has ever happened to my hair. The henna color was the prettiest color that my hair ever was colored. Its was a deep red and in the sun it was an orangie red. It turned heads. I long for the color again but my hair is still coming out and I don't know what to do. I have tried the usuals of conditioning with hot oil treatments using olive oil (in the past this was the best for my fine hair) and have used the protein treatments to no avail. So after all this time my next attack will be to go to a salon and see if I can get some help. I don't want to cut it all off and start over because if I do its going to be pretty short. Right now I have about 1-1 and a half of graying hair around my face and I don't like it, afraid to dye it and just plain at a loss.

Signed At a Loss

After hearing about the henna last year I decided to try it. My hair was in very good condition. It was AP lenght fine and also very full. I went to the Henna Page and purchased the BAQ henna from the Mehandi Shop. I also printed out the henna handbook with information formulas for mixing and everything you ever wanted to know about henna. I used the henna on my hair and there the disaster began. I believe that I hennaed my hair in April or May of last year and my hair is still coming out. I cannot comb my hair wet and when its dry it also comes out. The henna made my hair very dry and I could not comb through it without getting a large amount of hair. When my hair is wet it tangles up and and not only does it snap off but it snarls on the comb. It has been the worst thing that has ever happened to my hair. The henna color was the prettiest color that my hair ever was colored. Its was a deep red and in the sun it was an orangie red. It turned heads. I long for the color again but my hair is still coming out and I don't know what to do. I have tried the usuals of conditioning with hot oil treatments using olive oil (in the past this was the best for my fine hair) and have used the protein treatments to no avail. So after all this time my next attack will be to go to a salon and see if I can get some help. I don't want to cut it all off and start over because if I do its going to be pretty short. Right now I have about 1-1 and a half of graying hair around my face and I don't like it, afraid to dye it and just plain at a loss.

Signed At a Loss

How horrible, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, I hope the only damage I have to deal with is just getting these annoying grains out of my hair. I wish you the best in dealing with this unfortunate situation. It just makes you afraid to do anything to your hair.

OP, I read the first sentence and stopped there. I don't do henna's that are mixed with other ingredients or say they will give you black, blonde, or any other color hair. You can add your own ingredients/methods to pure henna to alter the color but you never know what they put in the stuff to make it black, brown or whatever. I add amla powder to my henna immediately before application to tone down the red color.

Afterwards, I cowash and don't use shampoo until the next wash.

Was it Rainbow Henna. That is what it sounds like. And if it was, that stuff is not sifted at all! I tried the neutral one.

I appreciate all of your responses. I re-conditioned my hair 4x with conditioner and baking soda. The process took about 45 minutes but I am confident that I got about 90% of the grains out of my hair this time around. As for the color of my hair--it did nothing. I think my curl pattern may be a tad but looser, but I'm really going to have to do some research on henna if I ever want to try it again.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. :(

I did a henna gloss (mixed my jamilla henna with lemon juice, conditioner, coconut, and olive oils) last week and I LOVE IT! I'm telling you it was GREAT! I washed with CON poo and deep conditioned with Sunsilk and coconut oil. I blow dried (bad I know) with chi products and my hair came out looking decent! I like it. I didn't let it sit for hours, just 40 minutes.

One thing about jamilla though.... it really is a fine green powder. I didn't have any problems getting it out but I did rinse longer just to be safe. It was easy to mix and wash out. I'm glad I tried it. (Thanks Sareca!!!)

I could be wrong but isn't baking soda supposed to be a clarifier? Is it possible that it dried your hair out more? Maybe one good deep conditioning would do the trick?

Back