I Will NEVER Henna/Indigo Again! It Ain't 4 Me.

As I completed my 25th henna treatment, I thought about how wonderful it was and wished everyone could be as happy. I've always kept it simple - henna, hot water, amla powder, and amla oil. I add a moisturizing con right before applying, and it slides right out in the shower!!

I hope that those of you had bad experiences can give it another try. The color, added thickness and body is unbelievable!!!

naturallylovely said:
i won't henna because i heard it makes us naturals hair straight over time...that's definitely not something that i want...

I experienced this for the first time today when I did my henna. I left my henna in for over 12 hours because I was just too lazy to rinse out. It definately released my kinks a bit but nothing I'm too worried about since I rarely just wear my hair out so it won't be noticable to others.

jengrady said:
. For henna, no juice, no berries, no sprinkles, no glitter, no wearing it for a day and then washing it out.

There's no chemicals in this stuff, there's no drama, its just herbs...

I know this wasn't meant to be funny, but it it is hilarious to me. :lachen: I'll remember this when I try my henna.

DSylla said:
darn these threads are making me scared to try henna.

lawd knows my hair has been very dry in the past. that's why i con wash...

You said it... I waas just about to jump into the Henna Craze and B-A-M!!!
Here's this one.

I have some questions for all the henna lovers.
Does it stain the sink or counter?
Does it dye your scalp/neck/face around hairline?
do you rinse out in shower or sink? :confused: :perplexed

Mook's hair said:
You said it... I waas just about to jump into the Henna Craze and B-A-M!!!
Here's this one.

I have some questions for all the henna lovers.
Does it stain the sink or counter?
Does it dye your scalp/neck/face around hairline?
do you rinse out in shower or sink? :confused: :perplexed

Doesn't stain my tub.

It will stain my skin around my hairline if it gets too far down. If I get it about half an inch down, then I'm ok...if it gets over an inch down, then it'll stain. Weird but I just make sure I wipe when I'm done applying.

I rinse out in the shower.

Don't be scared to try Henna because it wasn't the Henna it was the Lemon Juice that I had to make the Color, The color came out beautiful but the dryness was a killer LOL!!! You might have a wonderful experience with it, so Try it and see if you like it.

HoneyDew said:
Okay, I didn ot realize that some people leave it on for hours and hours. Maybe I never get dryness because I use it for only 30-40 min tops (20-30 min of that under the dryer).

I left mine on for about 12 hours yesterday...no dry or tangly hair...did release my kinks a bit but I put in my leave in, coconut oil then twisted my hair with Happy Nappy Styles and it's soft as ever...

Cayenne0622 said:
I don't use lemon juice either and my hair is always silky strong, moisturized and soft. I'm so sorry you didn't have a good experience. I don't know what brand of henna you used and how that may have affected your hair either.

My recipe for my neck length hair is:
2 tbs Jamila henna
1tbs indigo
1tbs alma powder
1tbs evoo
1tbs of moisturizing conditioner (lustrasilk mango shea butter cholesterol or Elasta QP DPR11)
1/2 tbs of jojoba oil
1/2 tbs of honey
1/4 cup of warm water

All of the things I add are very moisturizing which I'm sure prevents the dryness that some have experienced.

If you try again, I hope you like my recipe. I rinse out in the shower and add a little bit of NTM as a final rinse and my hair feels sooooo good.

Good luck lady!

Sounds like a good recipe!!!! Im scared to try Henna but Im gonna go for it...

Last edited:
I tried the Cassia last week and had terrible results. My hair was a tangled HOT mess of all messes! I deep conditioned 4x since then and my hair seems to be back to normal I used lemon juice, too, per the instructions from women the woman that I talked on the phone to at Mehendi.com. I may try it again without the lemon juice, BUT, I lost alot of hair and I am kinda scurrrd!! My hair was matted together badly.

L

ChocalateDiva said:
I tried the Cassia last week and had terrible results. My hair was a tangled HOT mess of all messes! I deep conditioned 4x since then and my hair seems to be back to normal I used lemon juice, too, per the instructions from women the woman that I talked on the phone to at Mehendi.com. I may try it again without the lemon juice, BUT, I lost alot of hair and I am kinda scurrrd!! My hair was matted together badly.

L

Yeap! That is what they told me too, Use Lemon juice, I want to try it again but right now I don't need it because I don't need too much protein in my hair. But maybe next time I eill try it but without the Lemon Juice, but I like the Black Color that came out.

I've given up henna for a little while. The first two or three times I used it, it made my hair really shiny and strong, with subtle red highlights. The last couple of times though, my hair became rough. Those last two times I mixed about 1 1/2 tablespoons with yogurt; and then a mayonnaise, honey, olive oil combo.

I attend to use henna again in the future. I think I just need to use it even more sparingly, and moisturize well afterward.

Back