I WENT TO THE HAIR CLUB FOR MEN/WOMEN TODAY

JuicesN'Berries

Hello ladies, wanted to let you guys know about my trip to the Hair Club for Men/Women today. Well I took my grandmother to the hair dresser this afternoon and little did I know......we were going to the Hair Club (You know the one you see on T.V). So we get there and it doesn't even look like they do hair there but then you go back into these individual rooms that are set up like a salon. I liked the fact that they are discreet and they also use an acronym for the name on the outside of the building HCM/HCW. So anyway the lady washes my grandmothers "piece" while on her head.......Blow Drys it........and then proceeds to lather the back of her head with a clear substance (what I assumed was glue):nono: and reapplys the parts of the "piece" that was lifting. SO she curls it and then shes done.........nothing to special.

Ok so let me skip to the parts I thought were extremely disturbing..

1. The rubber cement that she put on the back of my Grandma's head.......I would have said something but my grandma has been going there for three years and she doesn't even have any hair to pull out......So basically it really would not have made a difference. However I do wonder if they do the same thing to women who have a chance of growing their hair back.......I think they do. Which in my opinion is Horrific!

2. The lady kept referring to the "piece" as a "system" which was pissin' me off because they make it seem like its some elaborate hairpiece when it really is a glammed up lacefront.........really it ain't even glammed up....its just a lacefront.

3. We got on the subject of my hair.......ya'll know I wanted to see if she knew what she was talking about. Welllll....she proceeded to tell me that my 9 week stretch (I'm aiming for six months) was entirely to long to go without a relaxer.......and then proceeded to say to me......."Don't you want your hair to grow?"..........."You know its not gonna grow unless you relax it....you need to relax every six weeks for growth!" She was kindly dismissed.......after I gave her the 411. I'm like where do these people get there license from Chuck E. Cheese! People like her are the reason why women like my grandmother are paying top dollar for an overpriced wig! Which brings me to my next point....

4. So you know I had to get the prices..........My grandmother pays $289 a month for a year for three "installments" of a new "system" during the year (approximately $3600/year). This does not include any wash and sets or anything else. Today my grandmother got a wash and press which was like $25.......and she gets her hair washed like 3 times/month.....which adds an additional $900.....I'm sure some of ya'll pj's spend this amount every year as well but DAMMMMMNNN, thats alot of money!!! Lastly they con her into buying these products....which I can't even say are overpriced because they have some great ingredients (a line called Maxxam) but for a 76 yr old women to pay $25 per bottle to wash hair that isn't her own.....I find it to be ridiculous. If you go in my grandma's, I mean my nana's (its weird calling her grandma) closet she has the clarifying shampoo, scalp mender, weekly reconstructor, moist. conditioner, Sun-Block for Hair Spray, Scalp Cleaner, and a Split end Mender the list goes on (all at $20 + a pop)......Now why the hell does she need a split end mender??? Things that make you say hmmmmm!!!!

Well my take on the place.....two thumbs down! but I don't want to go ranting and raving because there might be some people who go there and are more than satisfied.....like my grandma but in my opinion....they are STRAIGHT TRIPPIN!!!!

Sorry SO long.....I know some of ya'll wanted to know what goes on inside that place.

Girl I am there with you. That is ridiculous! What a scam, that is what it is! I know ppl that have their monthly visits to places like this & to me its such a waste of $$$. They are charging astronomical prices for some weave. True the advantage is it doesn't have to b removed daily & you upkeep it like natural hair but its not worth the process. First of all cement/glue in my opinion should not be used on anyones scalp. Is your grandmother sure her hair can't be rejuvenated?

I guess you can't blame the ppl about the scam because it does provide a benefit to those who truly need it.

Last edited:
That is highway robbery!!!! It would be nice if you could convince your nana to let you handle her hair care.

Tigget75- You are so right.....but like you said I'm sure some people are happy with the results especially if they are severly balding.......like my grandmother

Ebonimama-I'm only here in N.Y with my grandmother until October. However I did ask her if she wanted me to ask you guys for someone who does a great lace front. But she said she was comfortable there. I ensured her you ladies would refer us to nothing but the best.

Its crazy because she is in New York so she has access to some very good hairstylist.......and for $4000 she needs to get her hair done by the same person who does Mary J. Blige and John Travolta's LF, lol!!

im so sick of these idiots thinking that a relaxer helps the hair grow. even if someone teaches you that, doesnt your common sence kick in and ask "how can a relaxer that i put on my hair that has already grown from my scalp to straighten my hair, help grow the hair that is still in my scalp?" it aint about where they went to hair school its about were thet lost their minds. i would have politely told her "please dont tell anyone eles that relaxers grow hair. darling i dont want you to show your ignorance and give your hair school a bad name".

Okay, i couldn't read to the end of your post OP. I dont think my stomach could hold up to whatever's past point 1 :/

im so sick of these idiots thinking that a relaxer helps the hair grow. even if someone teaches you that, doesnt your common sence kick in and ask "how can a relaxer that i put on my hair that has already grown from my scalp to straighten my hair, help grow the hair that is still in my scalp?" it aint about where they went to hair school its about were thet lost their minds. i would have politely told her "please dont tell anyone eles that relaxers grow hair. darling i dont want you to show your ignorance and give your hair school a bad name".

True Dat! While we were in there my nana was like "can you do my granddaughters hair" ......Stylist was like "not here but I can do it at home." I quickly responded....."Thats O.K nana I'm gonna wait until I move to Texas!" ..............Nana said, "I'll pay for it"..........Niya said "I'll wait nana!" ............................I hope she caught my drift, He He!!!!!

Juice your stories about your stay with Na Na are hilarious and both heartwarming. I wish she was open to trying something new but you know how seniors are. Enjoy your stay and personal time with her. These are times that you will cherish later. Keep us posted and updated. October will be here before you know it.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is armed highway robbery. if your grandmother has a lacefront she can definitely wash it herself with the same shampoo that one might use to wash their own hair and with a little practice, she can learn to apply the unit herself for free.99. i wear a lacefront from time to time, i've had it for like 2 years, i've highlighted it, dyed it and highlighted it again and its still good to go. i hate the fact that people will con you into believing that if you do something for your own hair (or you embellishments) that it will fall out/fall apart. that is sooooo not the case!

Chuck E Cheese!! LMAO!!!!

OMG why are you letting your Nana pay for this service? Is there any way you can stop her? She could be spending that money on her retirement! Wow what a scam.

Chuck E Cheese!! LMAO!!!!

OMG why are you letting your Nana pay for this service? Is there any way you can stop her? She could be spending that money on her retirement! Wow what a scam.

I have tried to talk to my Nana........even before I knew she went to the HCW but Nana gets what she wants......and she doesn't mind paying for it. At 76 she actively orders out of Nordstroms, Saks Fifth, Lord & Taylor etc. Catalogs on a daily basis. We literally went to rite aid after the hair club ans She Spent $200 on Oil of Olay products......Well $20 went to my hair products:look:.

BTW she's been retired for years. She is very comfortable financially.....but that doesn't mean you should over pay.

Juice your stories about your stay with Na Na are hilarious and both heartwarming. I wish she was open to trying something new but you know how seniors are. Enjoy your stay and personal time with her. These are times that you will cherish later. Keep us posted and updated. October will be here before you know it.

Thank you for enjoying my monotnous(sp) stories about me and nana.........All I have to say is Ditto! I hardly post but I often lurk......and might I add you always provide a great deal of comic relief. BTW I know you everyone has been telling you look beautiful in your new siggy and avatar pic......and you absolutely do.

Back