I went to an Ethiopian Salon...Here's my review!!!!!

Wow, your hair is so shiny/straight! I love it!! When I got hard presses from my stylist my hair looked like I had just gotten a relaxer, too. Little did I know that she was burning my hair straight. My hair would not revert back to its curly state and even after washing it I had the burned smell. I got my hair cut again, much shorter that what's in my avatar pic, and I am really loving it. I have just got to take better care of my hair from now on. I wish we had an Ethiopian Salon in Memphis.....that would be AWESOME!

ETA: how was the quantum shampoo she used on your hair? Was it moisturizing/detangling?

Seriously- Your hair looks beautiful!:yep: If you have a problem with it not reverting completely, try a protein reconstructor. But rude comments and bad detangling techniques aside, she hooked you up.

Do you know what it was she used from Redken? or at least how the bottle looked?

Wow, your hair is so shiny/straight! I love it!! When I got hard presses from my stylist my hair looked like I had just gotten a relaxer, too. Little did I know that she was burning my hair straight. My hair would not revert back to its curly state and even after washing it I had the burned smell. I got my hair cut again, much shorter that what's in my avatar pic, and I am really loving it. I have just got to take better care of my hair from now on. I wish we had an Ethiopian Salon in Memphis.....that would be AWESOME!

ETA: how was the quantum shampoo she used on your hair? Was it moisturizing/detangling?

There was nothing special about the shampoo, imo. I believe it was a moisturizing shampoo.

I didn't get to see the conditioner that she used on me. But I did notice that some of the ethiopian clients requested this other conditioner that had arabic writing on it and pictures of avocados. It had Active X written on it as well. It wasn't used on any of the AA clients.

Seriously- Your hair looks beautiful!:yep: If you have a problem with it not reverting completely, try a protein reconstructor. But rude comments and bad detangling techniques aside, she hooked you up.

Do you know what it was she used from Redken? or at least how the bottle looked?
I just went to the redken website to find it. It was the mild control smoothing serum. I still don't know the other product that she stuck her hand in the drawer to get. It was a secret I guess.

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone. I really do appreciate them.

DLewis, you're right. I'm not used to it being this straight.

The good and bad thing about my new 'do is that I can clearly see where it's damaged.
I will be diligently working on those areas. I need to reach APL by July. I started with some MN and castor oil last night. How do you all get over the stickiness of the castor oil. It felt like I was putting molasses in my hair.

I love Ethiopian (and generally East African) stylists/salons...best ever with my hair, besides my people anyway. Kweena, your hair looks lovely!

Hey there Ameena,

That is so funny. My mom is Egyptian with 3b/3c hair and people say the same about me. Why don't you look more mixed if you r mom is Egyptian. People can be soooo ignorant and don't realize that most arab people are dark and have curly or textured hair. Any way, are you in the DC area? Where is this salon? Also do you know what type of flat iron your stylist used? By the way, I think you hair looked great. It was very healthy looking and shiny.

Amina

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone. I really do appreciate them.

DLewis, you're right. I'm not used to it being this straight.

The good and bad thing about my new 'do is that I can clearly see where it's damaged.
I will be diligently working on those areas. I need to reach APL by July. I started with some MN and castor oil last night. How do you all get over the stickiness of the castor oil. It felt like I was putting molasses in my hair.

Hey there Ameena,

That is so funny. My mom is Egyptian with 3b/3c hair and people say the same about me. Why don't you look more mixed if you r mom is Egyptian. People can be soooo ignorant and don't realize that most arab people are dark and have curly or textured hair. Any way, are you in the DC area? Where is this salon? Also do you know what type of flat iron your stylist used? By the way, I think you hair looked great. It was very healthy looking and shiny.

Amina

Yay!! someone who can relate. My real name is spelled with an I also!!!

Someone else wanted to know as well:
MWM Unisex Salon
3811J South George Mason Drive
Falls Church, VA 22041
703-824-0488

Milena is the one who flat ironed my hair
I'm not sure what type of flat iron it was. She used a small one (looked something like a CHI) for my roots. And she used this big, wide, flat one for the length of my hair.

They charged me $56. I don't know the break down but that was a little pricey to me. So next time I will ask her the break down. I believe they charged me more because I was natural.

I need to ask Nefertiti (member here) what they charged her. She's the reason I visited this salon.

Your hair is beautiful and she did a good job getting it straight :grin:. High heat makes my hair limp and lifeless so I totally understand why you felt bald :yep:

Looks good.

On the side bar comment: People are so ignorant about cultures, you look Ethiopian because what makes Ethiopian, Somolian, and Eritrean typical features is the same mix that you have...European, African, and Middle Eastern combo...Dang, folks need to pick a book. :ohwell:

Well today it's really limp and flat and it feels greasy (I was kinda heavy handed with the castor oil:look:) because of the freakin humidity!!! Now I why I hated my hair when it was relaxed! It never stayed straight!!:wallbash:

There was nothing special about the shampoo, imo. I believe it was a moisturizing shampoo.

I didn't get to see the conditioner that she used on me. But I did notice that some of the ethiopian clients requested this other conditioner that had arabic writing on it and pictures of avocados. It had Active X written on it as well. It wasn't used on any of the AA clients.

thanks sweetie. now the active x you speak of.....let me find out about this :user:

bumping thread for phone number
HTH Sis!

eta: it took me forever to find this thread. when is the search function going to start working?:wallbash:

Back