I was blaming heat for things it didn't do

dicapr

I blamed heat for the poor condition of my hair after a flat ironing session. I kept heat usage to a minimum because I didn't like the condition of my hair after a long period of weekly heat usage. I began to transition, I decided to blowdry once a week to blend the two textures and my hair has never been happier. I decided to flat iron for a change and a much need trim ( my ends are crappy because of a 2 yr old dye job). This time I watched how I treated my hair after I was completley straight. I extended the time between washings (no DC for 2 weeks), only used the tinest amount of leave in when I started feeling dry, and was skimpy on the EVOO because I wanted to preserve my swang. I also didn't want to protective style. When I finally caved and washed my hair didn't feel as good as it usually did on a no heat or blowdry only regimine. Then I realized that it had been almost 2 weeks since my hair had any significant moisture. My weekly blowdries don't seem to affect my hair. I am mostly texlaxed and blowdrying my hair doesn't really straighten it. I continue to moisturize and seal daily. I also wear buns daily. I decided to flat iron one more time but not try to save the look and continued to bun. At the end of the week my hair was moisturized from root to tip. I think the aftercare of my flatironed hair is doing more harm that the actual flat iron itself.

I agree and can relate. I think when we flat-iron our hair we try so hard to preserve the swang and straightness and we keep from using the moisturizing products we need as we should.

Why can I relate? I'm suffering from a setback right now from trying to look cute for too long and neglecting my moisturizing leave-ins. You just have to realize that if you straighten with heat that one time then let it be JUST that one time, no re-touching the next day or anything and get right back to your moisture products. I love flat-ironing my hair but will have to give up the swang and sleek look for moisture after the next day no matter what.

I get one good day of showing off my length after I deep condition, blow dry on 80% dry hair and then flat iron with my Sedu or Maxiglide. ONE Day. Then that night - I roll it with these long hot pink sticks that bend. They work to give me spiral curls the next day and for the following week. I usually break down and wash whenever my scalp has build up or feels itchy and that has helped me grow thick, healthy hair. Finger combing only.

I apply moisture and seal with a light oil everyday after the 2nd day post washing. :yep: Focusing on my ends.

Aren't there ways to preserve the look and feel of flat ironed hair with the right products? i haven't perfected flat ironing, but i hope to do so without compromising the integrity of my strands...

Back