I want to wear my hair straight more than natural...should I texlax?

The Savvy Sistah

Once I reach my next goal of BSL I want to start wearing my hair straight.

I know I can achieve straight styles as a natural, but with the humidity it just reverts back.

I'm also thinking of texlaxing because I'm getting tired of the tangles and knots.

I just did a length check and had to cut off the majority of my progress. I took good care of my ends the last three months (no heat, protective styles, co-washes, deep conditions, plenty of water and vitamins) and they looked healthy when they were covered with conditioner or sealed in castor oil but when I blew dryed and flat ironed (with heat protectant and on a low setting) my ends looked really bad. I still have about an 1.5 inches of color that I have to cut off, but it's the knots, tangles and snaps that have me upset.

Sorry about the vent!!!!

But being natural was suppose to be a good thing, but the longer my hair gets, the less progress I see.

Since I want to wear it straight half the time and I love my natural texture I think this would be a good way to give me the best of both worlds.

Once I reach my next goal of BSL I want to start wearing my hair straight.

I know I can achieve straight styles as a natural, but with the humidity it just reverts back.

I'm also thinking of texlaxing because I'm getting tired of the tangles and knots.

I just did a length check and had to cut off the majority of my progress. I took good care of my ends the last three months (no heat, protective styles, co-washes, deep conditions, plenty of water and vitamins) and they looked healthy when they were covered with conditioner or sealed in castor oil but when I blew dryed and flat ironed (with heat protectant and on a low setting) my ends looked really bad. I still have about an 1.5 inches of color that I have to cut off, but it's the knots, tangles and snaps that have me upset.

Sorry about the vent!!!!

But being natural was suppose to be a good thing, but the longer my hair gets, the less progress I see.

Since I want to wear it straight half the time and I love my natural texture I think this would be a good way to give me the best of both worlds.
have you considered cutting off your relaxed ends

Thanks ladies!

Seximami, I've been natural for 2.5 years. I just wanted a change about a year and half ago and decided to color it bronze.

I thought about it too but decided against texlaxing. It seems some of members have enjoyed it. Have you tried a Dominican Salon? I went recently and the stylist was able to get my hair really straight.

I considered this too. When I got my hair pressed yesterday, I told my stylist I was considering a texturizer. She said my hair would be easier to manage and all, but I won't have thicker hair anymore :ohwell:. That was my main reason for going natural!!! So, I'm just gonna get presses every so often.

I would try getting your hair professionally straightened first and see if your ends are still frizzy. It may be the technique and not your hair...I think thats relatively common.

Also, I would see what difference not having the 1.5 inches in colored hair makes. That could be some of the source of your tangly hair problems.

Also, if you straighten your hair more often as a natural, you may end up with heat-stretched hair that is more managable with no need to involve chemicals.

Overall, I would just say make sure you exhaust ALL of your other options as far as being a mostly straight natural BEFORE you decide to texlax...since the only way to go back is to transition or chop it all off.

I would try getting your hair professionally straightened first and see if your ends are still frizzy. It may be the technique and not your hair...I think thats relatively common.

Also, I would see what difference not having the 1.5 inches in colored hair makes. That could be some of the source of your tangly hair problems.

Also, if you straighten your hair more often as a natural, you may end up with heat-stretched hair that is more managable with no need to involve chemicals.

Overall, I would just say make sure you exhaust ALL of your other options as far as being a mostly straight natural BEFORE you decide to texlax...since the only way to go back is to transition or chop it all off.

I agree. I'd relax bone-straight before I'd texlax, to be honest.

I would also look into other options first. Speaking as a person that accidentally texlaxed for years, its much easier to leave it natural or to relax it completely. when you texlax you can end up having many different textures. When you do your roots each touch up, you cant always guarantee the results will come out the same as ur previously texlaxed hair. you also have to make sure you coat the previously texlaxed hair really well or it will become stick straight over time due to relaxer run off (when you wash it out).
I just got the BKT done a couple weeks ago and i'm all for it now. My transitioning hair is 10x more manageable and the best part is - ITS NOT PERMANENT. When the treatment wears off, my hair will be natural again. The beautician says its a good way to blend textures while u are transitioning and it is most beneficial for relaxed or color treated ladies....just a thought.

Yes, I think you should texlax. I know some people talk about tangles and stuff but I honestly don't have that problem. I wear my hair straight when I want to and curly when I want to do something more low-maintenance. Works great for me!

Back