I want to try the Crown & Glory technique...

atl_mulattamami

but i'm scared! i've tried wearing braids twice now and both times i have been E*X*T*R*E*M*E*L*Y disappointed!

1st Experience- $60...my friend claimed she could braid. well i was a little disappointed with how they came out at first. the front looked good but in the back the braids were MUCH bigger; it was almost like she just got tired and decided not to finish the back properly. she said she would tie the ends of the braids but she didn' even tie all of the ends! so some of the braids just started slipping out of my hair! the braids were frizzy after the first week...and believe me it wasn't my fault because i took GOOD care of them. i tied them up at night with a silk scarf, sprayed the braid spray in them, and gently combed out the weave in the mornings. i only washed them once a week just like suggested on growafrohairlong.com...when i took the braids out i made sure to remove all of the shedded hair. i rinsed my hair with water...no problem....i put in conditioner and did a CW...no problem...i put some shampoo on my hair and the hair LOCKED up. im not talking tangles, i mean 80% of my hair was matted/locked. my mom and i sat for almost 8 hours trying the remove the mats and in the end i lost half of my length and half of my thickness...

2nd Experience- $80...i didn't have problems with my hair locking up but the braids were SOOOO sloppy/poorly done. they weren't even micros they were just ultra large braids...and to top that off they weren't all the same size and the parts were very sloppy. they were frizzy after a couple of days.

Ok so see why i'm scared to get braids? I already know someone who can braid my hair and do a NICE JOB because i've seen her work on three different people...i know all three of them and two of them are her daughters...

i really want to try this technique but i just don't want to spend all that money just to be disappointed. what should i do?

do them yourself (not trying to sound bossy) but no one will take better care of your hair than you will and she has given the info. on how to braid free online...I bought the video tape a long time ago and have never regreted it. Give it a go :thumbsup:

cookie507 said:
but i'm scared! i've tried wearing braids twice now and both times i have been E*X*T*R*E*M*E*L*Y disappointed!

1st Experience- $60...my friend claimed she could braid. well i was a little disappointed with how they came out at first. the front looked good but in the back the braids were MUCH bigger; it was almost like she just got tired and decided not to finish the back properly. she said she would tie the ends of the braids but she didn' even tie all of the ends! so some of the braids just started slipping out of my hair! the braids were frizzy after the first week...and believe me it wasn't my fault because i took GOOD care of them. i tied them up at night with a silk scarf, sprayed the braid spray in them, and gently combed out the weave in the mornings. i only washed them once a week just like suggested on growafrohairlong.com...when i took the braids out i made sure to remove all of the shedded hair. i rinsed my hair with water...no problem....i put in conditioner and did a CW...no problem...i put some shampoo on my hair and the hair LOCKED up. im not talking tangles, i mean 80% of my hair was matted/locked. my mom and i sat for almost 8 hours trying the remove the mats and in the end i lost half of my length and half of my thickness...

2nd Experience- $80...i didn't have problems with my hair locking up but the braids were SOOOO sloppy/poorly done. they weren't even micros they were just ultra large braids...and to top that off they weren't all the same size and the parts were very sloppy. they were frizzy after a couple of days.

Ok so see why i'm scared to get braids? I already know someone who can braid my hair and do a NICE JOB because i've seen her work on three different people...i know all three of them and two of them are her daughters...

i really want to try this technique but i just don't want to spend all that money just to be disappointed. what should i do?
Don't be scurred :lachen: ! It will be just fine. I have been doing the Crown & Glory Method since December 2004 and I have gained much length! I am very pleased. I do my own braids ( I prefer mine waist length, like the Pine Sol Woman or Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice but smaller) I incorporated taking vitamins, eating better, using Creme of Nature Moisturising Shampoo, African Pride Braid Spray ( I prefer the one with Peppermint oil- it just feels gooood!) , and Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner (moisturising). I wash my braids 2-3 times a week (with extremely little to no slippage) I have just taken my braids out for the second time this year about three days ago and am getting lots of compliments on how long my hair has grown and and how healthy it is. I am really impressed and encouraged to keep going on and I encourage you to proceed because it is worth it. I plan to put some more in before the year is up, but maybe a different do. Right now, I am roller setting. That is coming along good too. I simply love this site and the Crown and Glory Website. It was the best thing that ever happened to my hair. I am glad to say that I have met my first goal of shoulder length. I will definitely be bra strap in 2006 without a doubt! Go ahead girl do it, you will not regret the results. Just do the braids yourself or find a really good braider and take really good care of your hair and you will be fine! Happy Hair Growing! :)

PS There are also the Braids by Breslin dvds (type that into search and read the threads), if you think you can handle it yourself. I really want to get these because there are other styles that I want to try on myself and others. I learned the style that I wear by watching the lady who used to braid my hair. She has since moved some years ago. She was the first one who introduced me to Creme of Nature Shampoo and alot of her methods back then (about ten years ago) was similiar to the Crown and Glory Method. I must have learned well because my work is often mistaken for being done by some of the local Africans that do hair in this area. That's a nice compliment that makes me feel good and pockets remain in tact. Be encouraged!

PSS. I also used MTG the last month of my braids. It made my braids extra shiny and made my hair grow like crazy! This is why they are out so soon! They were put in Father's Day weekend. I usually keep them in about 3 months. I barely made it to a month and a half! :grin: Really nice growth though.

Last edited:
thank you both for your help! :) i have been looking into the MTG thing...i will probably order it sometime this month or next month but i just don't know if i can consistantly apply it seeing as i've never used anything on my scalp so it would take A LOT to get me motivated to stay with it long enough to see results

cookie507 said:
i just looked at it and the video isn't playing for me

What I found out was that if you can't see it, then let the page stay on the taskbar while you're surfing the net for about 30 minutes, then it'll play for you. I hope you get the braid thing right and learn it yourself, because people will gaffle you outta your money with those braids.

Back