I want to try a natural color ...henna or alma ?

thiccknlong

My hair is naturally very black. And I want it to stay that way during the summer's brown hair turning sunny days AND I want shine.

1. Do I do alma or henna ?
  2. My hair tangles. And its dry.Will alma or henna increase this ?
  3. What else should i do to combat the negativities or alma or henna.

(1) Amla. Amla keeps your hair dark whereas henna will lighten your hair.
(2)Amla-no Henna-yes, but the tangles and the dryness is temporary. Also, the dryness and tangles can be combated based on what you choose to put into your henna mix/treatment. (3) Some people put a moisturizing conditioner into their henna mix in addition to oils and sometimes honey to offset the dryness and tangles experienced with henna.

I can't think of any negatives of amla. I use amla oil as a preshampoo treatment and I love. It helps keep my hair moisturized throughout my shampoo process and it makes your hair darker overtime(what I want).

Also, if you want the benefits(stronger, thicker hair and shine) of henna without the color, try cassia. It's henna without the color deposit.

Last edited:
Naturellle said:
(1) Amla. Amla keeps your hair dark whereas henna will lighten your hair.
(2)Amla-no Henna-yes, but the tangles and the dryness is temporary. Also, the dryness and tangles can be combated based on what you choose to put into your henna mix/treatment. (3) Some people put a moisturizing conditioner into their henna mix in addition to oils and sometimes honey to offset the dryness and tangles experienced with henna.

I can't think of any negatives of amla. I use amla oil as a preshampoo treatment and I love. I helps keep my hair moisturized and it does make your hair darker overtime(what I want).

Also, if you want the benefits(stronger, thicker hair and shine) of henna without the color, try cassia. It's henna without the color deposit.

Wow, Thanks ! So, to sum it up,

1. Alma will make my hair darker ?
  2. Alma doesnt dry or tangle ?
  3. Alma oil moisterizes and darkens the hair ? If so, where can I buy this the cheapest ?
  4. Can I add oils to the powder Alma ?
  5. I have to cowash to prevent tangles during shampooing, so how should I add the Alma into the routine ?

Are you talking about Amla the oil or the powder? I've only used the oil. I know how the oil works. I know the powder helps make your hair darker as well but I'm not sure about the dryness and tangle factor. I really don't believe it does but I could be wrong. Someone that's used it may be able to help you there. Also, I purchase amla oil from either the indian grocery store or a health shop.

As for your question 5, I would apply amla to your hair as a prepoo. I usually leave amla in my hair overnight.

Last edited:
Naturellle said:
Are you talking about Amla the oil or the powder? I've only used the oil. I know how the oil works. I know the powder helps make your hair darker as well but I'm not sure about the dryness and tangle factor. I really don't believe it does but I could be wrong. Someone that's used it may be able to help you there. Also, I purchase amla oil from either the indian grocery store or a health shop.

As for your question 5, I would apply amla to your hair as a prepoo. I usually leave amla in my hair overnight.

I guess I was mentioning both. I've heard of the oil and the powder. I'll try the powder for color.

then try the oil as a moisterizer.

thicknlong said:
I guess I was mentioning both. I've heard of the oil and the powder. I'll try the powder for color.

then try the oil as a moisterizer.

Well, the oil will make your hair darker. That's what happened to me. Also, the oil isn't a moisturizer. When I said it keeps my hair moisturized, I meant that it protects my hair from the stripping properties of shampoos so my hair doesn't dry out. The main benefit of using amla is to make your roots strong and minimize shedding (which has helped me soo much). It's just that with continued use, your hair will get darker which can be good if that is what you're looking for. Sorry, I should've used better wording.

Last edited:
I say use alma. Alma is cheaper and simpler than Henna. With Henna you will need to purchase Indigo as well to darken your hair.

I use the powder and oil. One thing about Alma powder though is that it defines your natural curls. Therefore, I don't use it when I have alot of new growth or I will have a tangled mess on my hands.

Never used Henna. I use alma.

Take a look at my siggy, the first picture is my hair after a summer of swimming, fishing, being outdoors and notusing amla (because I ran out). My hair gets very light and reddish in the summer. The second picture is my hair now and I use amla. It's very darker, strong, healthy and thick. It didn't take my hair that long to get dark, I notice after a couple of uses that it was getting darker.

AMLA, I WOULD SAY.

Back