I want to talk about flat-irons & naturals!

Plenty

I just bought a $170 flat iron. It is fire. I look like I came fresh from the salon.

It made my hair looked healthy, conditioned, and shiny. I am wondering if I could use flat irons like the FHI I have often? Have you all read Shambosie's book that says your can use everyday? How many naturals use the flat iron regularly? What about using it 2x/wk? Did you transition with a flat iron with no promblem?

Thank you for your time!

I cannot put that much heat on my hair..It will surely burst into flames lol. I tried flat ironing once a week and it REALLY damaged my hair. I think it all depends on the strength of your hair and what type of hair it is. I think it's differrent for everybody.

BrwnSugaBabee said:
I cannot put that much heat on my hair..It will surely burst into flames lol. I tried flat ironing once a week and it REALLY damaged my hair. I think it all depends on the strength of your hair and what type of hair it is. I think it's differrent for everybody.
What kind of flat iron did you use. I don't think others understand, just like I didn't, that there is a GINORMOUS difference btw a $19.99 flat irno and one that cost $170.

I transitioned by flat ironing just fine. I have a maxiglide and yes there is a huge difference between higher quality flat irons and cheapie's. There's no way I would flat iron everyday though. Too much heat for me. My hair is fine and splits easily so I only straighten twice a month if that now. My press lasts two weeks so it's cool. I'm wondering why you would need to flat iron daily?

Plenty said:
I just bought a $170 flat iron. It is fire. I look like I came fresh from the salon.

It made my hair looked healthy, conditioned, and shiny. I am wondering if I could use flat irons like the FHI I have often? Have you all read Shambosie's book that says your can use everyday? How many naturals use the flat iron regularly? What about using it 2x/wk? Did you transition with a flat iron with no promblem?

Thank you for your time!
If that $170 flat iron is doing such a great job with your hair, why do you need to use it everyday or 2x/wk? :confused:

I don't think I would use a flat iron on my hair more than 2x a month if at all.

Pokahontas said:
I transitioned by flat ironing just fine. I have a maxiglide and yes there is a huge difference between higher quality flat irons and cheapie's. There's no way I would flat iron everyday though. Too much heat for me. My hair is fine and splits easily so I only straighten twice a month if that now. My press lasts two weeks so it's cool. I'm wondering why you would need to flat iron daily?
Did you flat iron only 2x/mo while transitioning or just now that you are completely natural? My question really is, what are you doing when you work out. What about flat ironing 2x/week to transition?

I will re read the book and get back to U about using heat every day. I think he said you just need a protected, but I will verfy to make sure.

I wish more would ppl would answer my post!!!!!!!!!!

However Pokahontas your reply helped alot! Thanks!

Jessy55 said:
If that $170 flat iron is doing such a great job with your hair, why do you need to use it everyday or 2x/wk? :confused:

I don't think I would use a flat iron on my hair more than 2x a month if at all.
Because I work out every day....does this answer your question?:cool:

Plenty said:
Because I work out every day....does this answer your question?:cool:

:lol: Okay, you must be on a mission to lose some pounds.

Girl, if you're going to work out every day to the point where you need to wash your hair everyday, do like Janet Jackson did while she was working off those pounds: Adopt a simple hairstyle and leave the hot iron and fancy hair stuff alone. Then, when you reach your target weight, you can start looking cute again. :)

I'm not natural, but just wanted to offer a little advice. Do you own any Caruso Steam setters? cause I was thinking since you work out every day, maybe that could help you out in between flat ironing days. My mom works out everday and she hasn't had a relaxer in over a yr now, I believe she is about 15 or so months post relaxer. Anyway, she can only do it w/the help of wigs, and weave caps. Other than that I don't know what she would do w/her hair on a daily basis, so I can understand where your comming from. Maybe flat iron on wash day and use the caruso's the other days of the wk. HTH's

Plenty said:
Did you flat iron only 2x/mo while transitioning or just now that you are completely natural? My question really is, what are you doing when you work out. What about flat ironing 2x/week to transition?

I will re read the book and get back to U about using heat every day. I think he said you just need a protected, but I will verfy to make sure.

I wish more would ppl would answer my post!!!!!!!!!!

However Pokahontas your reply helped alot! Thanks!
I don't work out so maybe someone else will chime in on that one, lol. When I was transitioning I flat ironed every two weeks. It went ok even though I didn't have hair boards then and I was using a "cheapie" flat iron. I wish I had found this place then!! Now that I'm natural I still usually do it twice a month sometimes less.

I guess 2 times a week would be better than every day but you just need to be careful. A heat protectant can only do so much. I had a lot of damage from heat so that's why I'm cutting back on it and my hair has been growing like a weed!! HTH

I'm a natural and a I transitioned while blow drying...

What I have found is that the biggest difference between the cheap and expensive flat irons is the ceramic + tourmaline combination - FOR ME. Again, I'm a 3c/4a natural, just above bra strap length. I've got curly hair that is THICK. FHI is Ceramic + Tourmaline. Solia is also a Ceramic + Tourmaline combination. Chi makes a Ceramic + Tourmaline iron. Sedu, Maxiglide and Hai irons are ceramic.

I have Chi (the ceramic + tourmaline) ultra iron and I love it. I flat iron MAYBE once a month, but I blow dry weekly. I just purchased a T3 blow dryer and flat iron - haven't used it yet, but I'll update when I do.

I flatiron with a T3 about every two weeks. I don't do touch durning the week.

IMO a $170 ceramic flat iron will cause less damage than a $20 flat iron. I used a $40 Jiberre ceramic iron for while and then it began to fry my hair. The difference between Jibere and T3? One was a metal iron coated with ceramic and the other one was actually ceramic w/ tourmaline.
:)

DDtexlaxd said:
I have been unsuccessful at flat ironing my natural hair. Can u guys gimme some tips, please?:D

What exactly happens when you flatiron? Frizz, no straightness?
What products are you using? Heat protectant, leav-in etc?
What type of iron do you own? ceramic, metal ?

I used to get my hair flat ironed every 2 weeks and was fine. It wasn't until i stupidly did it twice in a week that I got damage, now I stay away from heat period

Plenty said:
What kind of flat iron did you use. I don't think others understand, just like I didn't, that there is a GINORMOUS difference btw a $19.99 flat irno and one that cost $170.

LOL whose says I paid 19.99 for my flat iron? My flat iron is quality I will just leave it at that. And YES there is a difference when using quality products and tools. However my point was that MY hair cannot take too much direct heat...I was trying to help but I will just take my 4.99 flat iron and sit down.:lachen:

I agree that any flat iron over $80 or $90 can be deemed as "relatively safer" for your hair than a cheapie. BUT (huge but) I really would not recommend using heat 2x a week. That will end up damaging your hair over time. Your hair may be nice and silky the first few times... but as time goes you'll notice increased shedding, split ends and maybe knotting, and "not so silky n e more" presses.

Let me tell you, I wanna work out more often too. And the thing I hate is for my hair to poof up or get hard when doing so. But heat isn't the answer to that. My solution is to get a weave, that way my hair will be tucked away and I can sweat all I want and not need to whip out the flat iron:).

plenty, the key is to use a product that acts as a barrier between your hair and the sweating and humidity. i use aveda anti-humectant pomade after flat ironing each section. makes my straightening last for a little more than a week. even when i washed my hair, it didnt go backto being curly. thats how good it is

If you're working out you might want to try wearing your straightened hair wavy by cornrowing it or putting it in two french braids. That way if it frizzes a bit it's in a tight style (braids) and the reversion can be disguised by the texture

toosexy1 said:
plenty, the key is to use a product that acts as a barrier between your hair and the sweating and humidity. i use aveda anti-humectant pomade after flat ironing each section. makes my straightening last for a little more than a week. even when i washed my hair, it didnt go backto being curly. thats how good it is

Adding to this example... :)

I've flatironed my hair and went to the gym 5 days straight. My hair didn't puff or frizz. Fact is-- ceramics seal the cuticle of the hair... You really shouldn't need to touch up your hair after flatironing the first time. That's if you find the right products or method that will work for you.

For example not using products when flatironing works best for me. A good preconditioning, shampoo and condtioner is all I need before flatironing. Afterwards I use a tiny bit of Aveda Humectant on my ends before rolling.

I always wear a ponytail when working out. I just roll my ponytail everynight with Hype hair satin rollers and a tiny bit of Aveda Humectant. The next morning my hair is just nice as it was the day before. It stays silky, shiny and bouncy.

toosexy1 said:
Wow, I would've been a little scared if my hair didn't go back to curly. Did it eventually go back?

I transitioned using a flat iron only because my intentions were not to transition to natural at the time, just waiting to find a stylist. Going natural was actually and after thought. I believe I ended up with some heat damage and would not recomend it transitioning this way.

I purchased the ceramic pro last year and I've never used anything else. Although I've never had a perm or coloring in my hair, I'm very careful regarding how much heat I use just because it can be very damaging. However I have discovered that ceramic flat irons seal the cuticle and less damaging then regular irons. How often you want to flat iron you hair really depends on the condition of your hair. I think 2-3 times a week should be okay.

At the beginning of my transition, I got my hair flat ironed every two weeks. It was damaging and forced me to keep cutting my hair. I wanted a longer transition to natural so I stopped getting it flat ironed and wore a bun or wet sets.

Now that I'm completely natural, I flat iron with a CHI every 2 or 3 months and would be afraid to do it more often than that. Personally, if I wanted my hair straight as often as twice a week, I'd go ahead and get a relaxer.

ChocoKitty said:
What exactly happens when you flatiron? Frizz, no straightness?
What products are you using? Heat protectant, leav-in etc?
What type of iron do you own? ceramic, metal ?

No straitness whatsoever!:lol: I tried lotabody, KMS, and coconut oil...Just strait up frizz! Some of my hair just curled back up! I just can't seem to get the sleek look some of ya'll rock. I have a solia 1" iron. My hair just laughed at it. I have a maxiglide, but I can't use it with my short hair. I have 3c/4a hair that is probably about 4" when it's stretched. AWhen it is dry, it looks like it is 1". Maybe my hair is too short to be flat ironed.

DDtexlaxd said:
No straitness whatsoever!:lol: I tried lotabody, KMS, and coconut oil...Just strait up frizz! Some of my hair just curled back up! I just can't seem to get the sleek look some of ya'll rock. I have a solia 1" iron. My hair just laughed at it. I have a maxiglide, but I can't use it with my short hair. I have 3c/4a hair that is probably about 4" when it's stretched. AWhen it is dry, it looks like it is 1". Maybe my hair is too short to be flat ironed.

Hmmm... I don't know about KMS but I've tried Lottabody for my hair in the past and just seemed to make my hair act funky. It didn't matter if I used it straight or mixed it with water.

What do you deep conditon with?

Have you thought about straightening with a ceramic curling iron?

Also, KMS has the flat out relaxing balm - this mess works wonders.

You might need a smaller iron, like a 3/4" - or like ChocoKitty said, try using a ceramic curling iron.

Back