I want to relax my own hair, please help....

Samaria

I';ve been using Mizani at the salons but I am so sick of going to the salons and them not doing what I ask, I am taking it upon myself to do my own hair, and I just wanted to know, do I need to use a certain type of relaxer since I've used mizani sensitive scalp? IF so please give me some more types to use, thanks!

To clarify, I don't want any instructions on how to relax, but more so on if me transitinoning from Mizani, to maybe Optimum would CON would be a good idea?

Why not just stick to what's been working for you unless your looking for better results, if so I don't see it being a problem to try another relaxer, just becareful not to overlap, and do a strand test to check out the time it takes to relax your hair w/that brand relaxer. I've used TCB bone straight regular for 13 yrs on and off and when I tried motions (the entire line) my hair ended up hating it, then I tried Organics by africa's best a month ago and that no-lye was a no no for me, but I'm still going to try Vitale Life and Body regular in Feb. since the results were excellents on my daughter and we use the same products, so why not give it a try if my hair doesn't agree I will go back to what I've been using, I gues it's called trial and era. But maybe you should do a search or post a thread on the results other received from using Optimum or CON, and or whatever relaxer your triing to switch to that way it can help w/your decision.
Samaria said:
To clarify, I don't want any instructions on how to relax, but more so on if me transitinoning from Mizani, to maybe Optimum would CON would be a good idea?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Why not just stick to what's been working for you unless your looking for better results, if so I don't see it being a problem to try another relaxer, just becareful not to overlap, and do a strand test to check out the time it takes to relax your hair w/that brand relaxer. I've used TCB bone straight regular for 13 yrs on and off and when I tried motions (the entire line) my hair ended up hating it, then I tried Organics by africa's best a month ago and that no-lye was a no no for me, but I'm still going to try Vitale Life and Body regular in Feb. since the results were excellents on my daughter and we use the same products, so why not give it a try if my hair doesn't agree I will go back to what I've been using, I gues it's called trial and era. But maybe you should do a search or post a thread on the results other received from using Optimum or CON, and or whatever relaxer your triing to switch to that way it can help w/your decision.

I'd stick to Mizani......if I did't have to travel 40 miles to get it!!, lol.. I love Mizani but everything else is at arms reach at the moment, the beautician has it, but I am NOT dealing with them no more!

You can order Mizani from the Sheldeez website. I don't recommend Optimum. :nono: It's very drying to the scalp and the hair. Mizani is better, in my experience.

Queenie said:
You can order Mizani from the Sheldeez website. I don't recommend Optimum. :nono: It's very drying to the scalp and the hair. Mizani is better, in my experience.

Mines as well.. Thanks.. I guess I'll stick to what's been working!

Queenie said:

dang i went to the website, its $42!!! ay yi yi... I am living on my own with my hubby we pay our own bills to to foot out $42 for relaxers would kiill me right now.. Any suggestions on GOOD box relaxers?

The jug is four applications. That's only $10 for each touch-up. It's like $7 for those no lye ones at the drugstore. I use regular and the price was like $25 for that jug. I went by their store to pick it up.

Samaria said:
Youre talking about Mizani you went to the drug store and bought? If so, I wish I could do that too!!

Oh... no. Sheldeez is in Herndon, VA. I work in the next town over.

Sheldeez has a website too. I bought the Mizani relaxer jug on sale for like $16 and with the shipping, paid like $20.

I really like Vitale Life and Body and I have used Mizani Sensitve Scalp also. I would recommend the Vitale if you can't get the Mizani.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I'd recommend this too if it's available near you.

Is this a lye relaxer or no? If yes, do I need to be more worried than say using a no-lye relaxer? And basically, me switching from mizani to this would cause no harm basically?

Yes it's a lye relaxer, I don't know the state of your hair, but I don't beleive it will cause damage, I used it on my 8 1/2 yr old daughters hair and no shedding, breakage, dryness or scalp problems. Some say it doesn't process their hair completely but I didn't have that problem w. my daught, it processed just fine. Did you do a search on e-bay to see if you could find Mizani at a price you can afford, because my gut is telling me that you really want to stick to Mizani. If the tub is 42 bucks isn't that cheaper than a salon visit and you'll get way more than one use out of it, so maybe you should dicuss it w/your husband and see if it can be put in the budget since you'll no longer go to the salon anyway you'll be saving money, and believe me I know how it is when your on your own and married, I got my first place when I was 19yrs old and lived on my own ever since, on the 16th it will be my 5th yr marriage anniversary and we have 3 children, bills, etc., but He does understand that I am a bill also and I'm sure your hubby will love to see you progressing and looking good. So ask him if you haven't already, you may even have to save for it but at least you'll have what works for you.HTH
Samaria said:
Is this a lye relaxer or no? If yes, do I need to be more worried than say using a no-lye relaxer? And basically, me switching from mizani to this would cause no harm basically?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Yes it's a lye relaxer, I don't know the state of your hair, but I don't beleive it will cause damage, I used it on my 8 1/2 yr old daughters hair and no shedding, breakage, dryness or scalp problems. Some say it doesn't process their hair completely but I didn't have that problem w. my daught, it processed just fine. Did you do a search on e-bay to see if you could find Mizani at a price you can afford, because my gut is telling me that you really want to stick to Mizani. If the tub is 42 bucks isn't that cheaper than a salon visit and you'll get way more than one use out of it, so maybe you should dicuss it w/your husband and see if it can be put in the budget since you'll no longer go to the salon anyway you'll be saving money, and believe me I know how it is when your on your own and married, I got my first place when I was 19yrs old and lived on my own ever since, on the 16th it will be my 5th yr marriage anniversary and we have 3 children, bills, etc., but He does understand that I am a bill also and I'm sure your hubby will love to see you progressing and looking good. So ask him if you haven't already, you may even have to save for it but at least you'll have what works for you.HTH

When I did visit the salon the last time, the stylist was shocked at how I was 5 months post and my hair was kept so well, she told me there was no damage she could see from my hair.. I talked to him about it, he seems reasonable about it so yea I think I will stick to Mizani, but I just wanted also, its good to have a back-up I guess.. THanks for your help.

No problem. :) I feel like a load was lifted off of me I know how it is to have to make serious decisions, and this one since you have made wonderful progress, I remember that old avatar and you have come along way and I'm sure your taking every precaution not to have any setbacks.
Samaria said:
When I did visit the salon the last time, the stylist was shocked at how I was 5 months post and my hair was kept so well, she told me there was no damage she could see from my hair.. I talked to him about it, he seems reasonable about it so yea I think I will stick to Mizani, but I just wanted also, its good to have a back-up I guess.. THanks for your help.

Last edited:
BeautifulWideEyes said:
No problem. :) I feel like a load was lifted off of me I know how it is to have to make serious decisions, and this one since you have made wonderful progress, I remember that old avatar and you have come along way and I'm sure your taking every precaution not to have any setbacks.

OHYES MA'AM... I am so convinced my hair would have been soo much longer if I just did it myself a long time ago, instead of being a wimp and letting overlap EVERYTIME she did my hair, not to mention yanking those rat tail combs thru my wet hair after it was just touched up.... :wallbash:

Samaria said:
I';ve been using Mizani at the salons but I am so sick of going to the salons and them not doing what I ask, I am taking it upon myself to do my own hair, and I just wanted to know, do I need to use a certain type of relaxer since I've used mizani sensitive scalp? IF so please give me some more types to use, thanks!

I like Design Essentials. I hope you find someone to relax your hair for you. I think in the end you'll be happier.

lala said:
I like Design Essentials. I hope you find someone to relax your hair for you. I think in the end you'll be happier.
Thanks, I think I woud too ,but every1 wants to overlap and trim I cant have that going on!!

Back