I want to henna!

lennet93

Ok I really want to start using henna on my hair for color and to strengthen and thicken up my hair but I'm paranoid...lol I dont want to cause a disaster. Any tips or advice? And for those who henna, were you paranoid at first?

I was very paranoid. What helped me was making sure I purchased body at quality hena from a reliable source and doing a test on harvested hair.:)

I was paranoid as well. Like Alexstin, I made sure I had BAQ henna and definitely made sure that I did a strand test. Even though the strand test came out fine, I was till a little scared the first time I applied it. After I saw the results, I was hooked! :)

I WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT TRYING A HENNA. AFTER JUST COMING OFF A BOTCHED HOME RELAXER IN JAN, I WAS APPREHENSIVE. BUT, I READ UP ON IT THROUGH HENNAFORHAIR AND THREADS. I FOUND THE HENNAS AND OTHER PRODUCTS MENTIONED IN THE THREADS, AND JUST WENT FOR IT, NO STRAND TEST EITHER.

IT DID THICKEN MY HAIR. I DID NOT LET IT SIT TO RELEASE COLOR, BUT NEXT TIME I WILL. IT CAN BE A BIT DRYING IMHO, SO I WILL ADD YOGURT AND MORE CONDISH NEXT TIME.
I REALLY LIKE THE SKIKAKAI, THAT REALLY GAVE GREAT SHINE AND STRENGTH. NEXT TIME I WILL MIX THE TWO TOGETHER. YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH IT A FEW MONTHS IN ORDER TO SEE HOW YOUR HAIR RESPOND'S TO IT.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN INDIAN WOMEN WITH BAD HAIR:)

yeah i was terrified, having dreams about it and errthang. but like everybody else, i read up on it and asked the questions i needed answering. i bought BAQ henna from a reputable vendor and i did a strand test. i just did my first application so i'm not an expert but being able to see other people whose hair i admire helped greatly. hope you get optimal results once you try it. ;)

http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html

Some information here HTH:)

Warnings!
What will henna do to your hair?

Compound henna does NOT play nice with commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair.
People who have itching, blisters, or serious allergic reactions to para-phenylenediamine hair dyes often want to change over to henna hair dyes.

Compound henna often reacts badly with synthetic hair dyes and other chemical hair products! If you use compound henna soon after you have done your hair with para-phenylenediamine dyes, your hair may be brittle, trashed, and may turn frog butt green or offshore sewage outlet black. Compound hennas have metallic salts which react disasterously with the ammonia in synthetic hair dye. Problem is ... many pre-mixed henna powders do NOT have these ingredients listed!

Want to learn more about compound henna? Go here,.http://www.hennaforhair.com/warnings/index.html

Body art quality henna can be used over commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair.

Body art quality henna does not have metallic salts, and can be applied over synthetic dyes! How do you know if you've got body art quality henna? Know your supplier! Mehandi, and the other suppliers listed at Henna for Hair Suppliers have body art quality henna!

The only way to find out if YOUR henna will cooperate with YOUR chemical residue from synthetic hair products is to TRY SOME. Harvest hair from your hairbrush, mix up a sample of henna and try it. What's in some henna products that reacts badly with synthetic hair dye? Here's the low down and dirty about what's in some of these products!

Do a spot test to be sure you're not allergic to henna. Mix 100% pure body art quality henna with warm water. Wait an hour. Put a spot of henna on your inner arm. Wait an hour. If the spot doesn't itch after an hour, you are not allergic to henna.

Last edited:
Back