I want to do a professional job on my own hair....

IndianAngel22

There are a handful of students on my campus who do hair. In order for my hair to be as straight as I want it to be I have to go to one of them! I want to be able to achieve this on myself. They can! Their hair is ALWAYS hooked and slicked and straight just perfect. And healthy to boot. I want to be able to press my hair like they can. Not SUPER professional, but as professional as a college hair student. What can I do? What am I doing wrong? My presses never come out like theirs.

I own

*Sally's Ion pink Domb dryer
*FHI flat iron
*Stove hot comb for my edges
*Electric hot comb
*Pink Revlon blow dryer

I mean I would think this would be good? I'm also natural. I used to go to a hairdresser that had my hair SO straight if someone blew air it wouldn't stay in place. It was like "white girl" hair. No offense to anyone this is a compliment. She always put her real products in cheap bottles so I wouldn't know what it was she was using. :(

Last edited:
Maxiglide. I swear that's the only thing that has my hair looking pin straight as I want it to be (and i haven't permed since august 2007!) it really lessened the need for me to go to anyone for my hair (except for trims)

Maxiglide. I swear that's the only thing that has my hair looking pin straight as I want it to be (and i haven't permed since august 2007!) it really lessened the need for me to go to anyone for my hair (except for trims)

what's maxiglide?

Last edited:
Maxi glide is a flat iron. A friend was nice enough to let me borrow theirs to see how I would like it. I never tried it and about to send it back to her. It looked like it could do some damage for someone who isn't a pro at it. It had teeth and on my type of hair I didn't feel comfortable trying it. I'm natural with 4 textured hair. It just looked like it would rip my hair out as it fried it. I'm not a chicken. I used my regular old $50 flat iron and it looked ok, not great. I know what you mean though,I want to get that "I didn't do it myself" press or straightening. I don't know if I ever will. But I personally feel that maxi glide is for relaxed heads or people with not so coily or kinky type hair.

what's maxiglide?

It's a flatiron one side is flat and has holes, the other side has lil teeth that can fit into the other side, but i never close it so tight that they fit, because that would be stupid and pull hair out. It makes it easier for me because i'm transitioning, and dont' want to have to blowdry my hair and then flat iron. it easily smooths and straightens my hair when it's just a big curly airdried mess. The results are in my album/blog if you care. I am obsessed. google maxiglide and you'll see pix.

Maxi glide is a flat iron. A friend was nice enough to let me borrow theirs to see how I would like it. I never tried it and about to send it back to her. It looked like it could do some damage for someone who isn't a pro at it. It had teeth and on my type of hair I didn't feel comfortable trying it. I'm natural with 4 textured hair. It just looked like it would rip my hair out as it fried it. I'm not a chicken. I used my regular old $50 flat iron and it looked ok, not great. I know what you mean though,I want to get that "I didn't do it myself" press or straightening. I don't know if I ever will. But I personally feel that maxi glide is for relaxed heads or people with not so coily or kinky type hair.

If you tried it i think you'd think otherwise. Several natural heads I know purchase and use it. Come over lemme maxiglide your head 4 u.

It's a flatiron one side is flat and has holes, the other side has lil teeth that can fit into the other side, but i never close it so tight that they fit, because that would be stupid and pull hair out. It makes it easier for me because i'm transitioning, and dont' want to have to blowdry my hair and then flat iron. it easily smooths and straightens my hair when it's just a big curly airdried mess. The results are in my album/blog if you care. I am obsessed. google maxiglide and you'll see pix.

that thing is expensive. What about the mini maxi glide. Would that work too? And what is so good about this thing? Do you use the steam? Why is this better than an FHI iron?

I dunno I don't see why I would need a maxi glide. They do it without a maxi glide so I'm not sure I see a need to go out and buy this thing

I tried maxiglide and it was a chore to use, hard to keep from closing it "completely" to keep from ripping your hair out, (make sure your hair is really detangled, or else) and was just too much work, when one could just flat iron and be done with it - it just saved more of my hair. Also, my hair wasn't nearly as straight as with a normal flat iron. I refunded my maxiglide, happily.

I reccommend using the conair infinite steam straighter, it straightening my hair in one pass and it get my roots straight too. I love it and i will never use any other falt iron.The detangling teeth don't even snag my hair . My hair comes out shiny and moisture and soft without even using products first or last .Im in in love:love3:

It's probably their technique and products.

You already have a good flatiron (FHI). Try Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner and Serum. This line is dedicated for straight sleek styles.

Good Luck!

Why don't you have one of them do your hair a couple of times and memorize what they do? I learned how to do my hair when I was in high school by watching my stylist in the mirror.
Also for me, the less product I add to my hair, the more it blows in the wind.

What products are you using? That could be why you're not getting the "swang" you want. Technique also has a lot to do with it.

Or like someone else said, see if one of those girls can do it for you. Pay close attention to their products and technique so you can do it on your own.

Are you using enough heat with the hot comb.....not too much heat but alittle more to get the edges straighter? Don't forget to use a paper towel and heat protectant.

Back