I want that look...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
saw my cousin yesterday who has gone natural. She usually gets her hair blown out and flat ironed weekly, but yesterday it was not and she had it in a curly ponytail. It was SO cute and her curls were just gorgeous. I thinks she's about a 3a or b. Do you all think I could achieve that look with a rollerset on small rollers? (BTW, I am not interested in going natural to achieve the look--before someone suggests that)

Supergirl I learned that I can achieve this look with bantu knots. I put my hair in about 8 bantu knots and let them dry I then pick them apart and I have such nice curls. I get compliments all the time and someone even asked me if i had a curly piece attached to my hair. Now I'm not sure if this method is for you because you have very long hair and bantu knots take a LONGGGG time to dry on my hair so I can imagine how long it will take with yours and if my hair is not COMPLETELY dry when I take them out then the pretty curls are not the same.

I second the bantus or using the flexi rod rollers for the curly look
smile.gif

I thinik flexi rods might work. With your beautiful hair length you may have to improvise. Maybe you can develop a technique using two flexi rods for each roll up.

Supergirl,

Have you tried perm rods? I have a cousin who has relaxed, waist length hair who uses the orange perm rods all the time to create a head full of curls. She told me she washes and conditions with Motions then applies Perm Repair Setting Lotion (not my favorite product but she insists it's the key to having long sets), and some type of light oil. She puts in a head full of perm rods and sits under the dryer. All I know is that her curls come out shiny and last and last and last
grin.gif

You could also try the smaller-sized magnetic rollers with the snap-on covers. Those are really easy to work with, too!
up.gif
I'll bet they would give you a very nice, curly look.
smile.gif

I'm natural but I fond for a even curlier look, I would flat twist the front and back separately and twist the hair around itself into a bantu knot - the result: FABULOUS curls! I'm sure it will work on relaxed hair as well...give it a try...

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
ATLwavylocks - she must have a lot of hair wrapped around just one roller. How long does it take her hair to dry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, from what I know she uses LOTS and LOTS of rollers b/c her hair is thick even with a relaxer. It takes her about an hour under the dryer but she's also one to dry under the dryer for a bit and just hang out around the house all day letting her hair airdry with the rods in.

I gathered my hair into a high ponytail last night and secured it with a scrunchie. I used small perm rods (because every good PJ has some of these on hand) to roll about 20 hair sections each dampened with conditioner.

When I awoke this morning--the hair wasn't dry so I just wrapped a pretty scarf around the ponytail (still in rollers) and went on with my day. Hopefully tomorrow I can take them out and have pretty curls.
smile.gif

Back