I want my hair straight without direct heat!

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Coconut oil is a great suggestion. You'd be surprised how well it straightens your hair. I would also say to try this method. After conditioning with Kenra squeeze dry your hair. Do not let the towel touch your hair. Apply a serum from root to tip (this gives a lot of slip). Next apply the coconut oil and detangle. After detangling with a big comb, comb through with a regular comb and then brush with yoiur denman D3. Make two ponytails using satin scrunches and smooth the hair again with the comb. Now take one side of the hair hanging out of ponytail, hold it taut and bring it across the part towards the front of your hair to the other side and secure with a bobby pin. Repeat on the other side. When you're done, the length of your ponytails should crisscross each other. You can sit uder the dryer until fully dried or partially dried and then airdry. Your hair will be very straight using this method and no direct heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds great.
What about the part where the scrunchies are??

Good question Mindymouse. There will definitely be a dent there. However, I use my denman brush and a regular comb, apply a good moisturizer and it pretty much goes away. Also you have to be sure to let the hair hang out so that gravity can help get that little hump out. I admit, it's not a perfect system, but it sure beats using a blowdryer and curling iron
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Coconut oil is a great suggestion. You'd be surprised how well it straightens your hair. I would also say to try this method. After conditioning with Kenra squeeze dry your hair. Do not let the towel touch your hair. Apply a serum from root to tip (this gives a lot of slip). Next apply the coconut oil and detangle. After detangling with a big comb, comb through with a regular comb and then brush with yoiur denman D3. Make two ponytails using satin scrunches and smooth the hair again with the comb. Now take one side of the hair hanging out of ponytail, hold it taut and bring it across the part towards the front of your hair to the other side and secure with a bobby pin. Repeat on the other side. When you're done, the length of your ponytails should crisscross each other. You can sit uder the dryer until fully dried or partially dried and then airdry. Your hair will be very straight using this method and no direct heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Armyqt - I would like to try this next time I wash. My ponytail rollersets work pretty well but this sounds less time consuming and I love new ideas. How long does it take for your hair to airdry this way Armyqt and have you slept with it to airdry this way? What is your hair type also. Also, do you think this coconut oil will work just as well over my leave-in rather than using any serum? My leave-in gives me slip and detangles. Thanks Armyqt.
Thanks Hairlove for starting this thread!

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Armyqt - I would like to try this next time I wash. My ponytail rollersets work pretty well but this sounds less time consuming and I love new ideas. How long does it take for your hair to airdry this way Armyqt and have you slept with it to airdry this way? What is your hair type also. Also, do you think this coconut oil will work just as well over my leave-in rather than using any serum? My leave-in gives me slip and detangles. Thanks Armyqt.
Thanks Hairlove for starting this thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, yes I've airdried with my hair like this before. I only use one ponytail though. If I do this on a Friday evening and walk around the house without a scarf for a few hours, it speeds up the drying time and I pretty much fully dried by the next day. My roots will be somewhat damp depending on how much newgrowth I have thoug. That dries relaitively fast once I open the hair up though.

I'm not sure what my hairtype is, but I do know it's fine. I wanna say it's 3c/4a.

As far as the serum goes, it's a personal preference for me. I have a ton of new growth right now and it really makes my hair laydown before I apply the coconut oil. I have done it with a leave in and coconut oil before and it does work that way also. Hope it works for you.

One more question Armyqt - how much coconut oil do you put on the ponytails and after it's airdried (actually 2 questions
grin.gif
), is it greasy?

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
One more question Armyqt - how much coconut oil do you put on the ponytails and after it's airdried (actually 2 questions
grin.gif
), is it greasy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I apply the coconut oil on the roots mainly and the light apply the little left on my hands to the ends. You dont' need a whole bunch, Just ensure you get good coverage on the roots. Once you comb the hair through to smooth, the coconut oil will travel down the shaft and distribute just the right amount. Your hair will not be greasy.

Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
grin.gif
), is it greasy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I apply the coconut oil on the roots mainly and the light apply the little left on my hands to the ends. You dont' need a whole bunch, Just ensure you get good coverage on the roots. Once you comb the hair through to smooth, the coconut oil will travel down the shaft and distribute just the right amount. Your hair will not be greasy.
Thank you Armyqt!

Back