I Want My Hair Red By Using Henna. What's The Best Brand and Mixture?

pookaloo83

I want a deep burgundy red. This will be my first time doing henna. I would also have to order online, We do not have indian grocers here.

Pook, you need to get on Twitta so Eisani can help you.

I've done henna before but it would only look red in the sunlight. The more applications you do the more "red" it will look.

Pook, you need to get on Twitta so Eisani can help you.

I've done henna before but it would only look red in the sunlight. The more applications you do the more "red" it will look.

I know. I have a twitter but I have to get a new pw. I forgot it. :lol:

I only use the juice of one lemon.

If I want really red, I brew very concentrated hibiscus leaves - let the leaves simmer on very low for 10 mins then let it sit out for an hour or so. I use the liquid to mix the henna and 1 lemon and let it process for 3-4 hours. You may want to use more lemons than that perhaps the juice of 3 or 4. When I was natural I used that many lemons.

i have a red cast to my hair from using henna... but it didn't happen on the 1st use (i don't think)... i've been using it for a few years now... so give it a few applications

hey OP; your hair looks pretty dark from your picture... i'm not sure that you'll ever get anything resembling red from henna. except maybe a hint of burgundy (with many many applications) in bright sunlight.

light or brown hair will change colour. black hair will never change colour w/ henna.

sowwy :o(

this is what curlynikki and other sources say about henna on black hair: Henna cannot lighten your hair, ever. On some colors of hair it may appear to brighten it, but you should count on any color you get with henna being darker than what is already on your head.

ps: be careful w/ the lemon juice depending on your hair type/texture the lemon juice can really really set you up for extreme dryness. there are henna threads on here, naturaly curly, etc. you should take a good read to explore henna more to make sure your mix is as beneficial as possible. it's a really long process so best to make it good.

bonchance

hey OP; your hair looks pretty dark from your picture... i'm not sure that you'll ever get anything resembling red from henna. except maybe a hint of burgundy (with many many applications) in bright sunlight.

light or brown hair will change colour. black hair will never change colour w/ henna.

sowwy :o(

this is what curlynikki and other sources say about henna on black hair: Henna cannot lighten your hair, ever. On some colors of hair it may appear to brighten it, but you should count on any color you get with henna being darker than what is already on your head.

ps: be careful w/ the lemon juice depending on your hair type/texture the lemon juice can really really set you up for extreme dryness. there are henna threads on here, naturaly curly, etc. you should take a good read to explore henna more to make sure your mix is as beneficial as possible. it's a really long process so best to make it good.

bonchance

Yeah, my hair is a dark brown not black. There were some photo effects done to the pic in my siggy.

I got a burgandy color with henna before. I boiled some hibicus and add the hibicus water into my henna mix. I used harishma henna,

I also went to hennaforhair.com and they said something about using a brand called Celebration. It has high dye content. Maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for starting this thread Pook. I have thought about switching things up in 2011. I have always had black hair. Subbing...

Thanks for starting this thread Pook. I have thought about switching things up in 2011. I have always had black hair. Subbing...

Yeah, I wanna switch things up a bit too. As much as these ladies talk about henna I thought I would have more responses! :lol:

I was really wanting to get some red for the holidays, so, during my recent henna application, I added Red Raspberry Zinger tea and cinnamon to my mix and got a nice burgundy color. I love the way it looks in sunlight! I wish it looked like that indoors. This is about my 4th or 5th application of henna also, so I am noticing more red the more I do it.

I definitely think the tea or cinnamon made a difference, because those are the only two things I didn't add the last time.

I was really wanting to get some red for the holidays, so, during my recent henna application, I added Red Raspberry Zinger tea and cinnamon to my mix and got a nice burgundy color. I love the way it looks in sunlight! I wish it looked like that indoors. This is about my 4th or 5th application of henna also, so I am noticing more red the more I do it.

I definitely think the tea or cinnamon made a difference, because those are the only two things I didn't add the last time.

What brand of henna do you use? How much tea and cinnamon?

also I use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.It works better IMO. I've done about 7 applications and my hair is an aurburn color even indoors now. I started with dark brown hair and it began lightening a little when i used honey and hot oil treatments. then I started hennaing so maybe hat had something to do with it.

acv does not produce the same vibrancy as lemon juice does. you can see test strands comparison @ henna for hair's site

What brand of henna do you use? How much tea and cinnamon?

I use Nupur Henna, and added about 1 tbsp of cinnamon and used the Red Raspberry tea as the liquid instead of warm water. I kind of just slowly added the tea, until my mixture was creamy. My complete henna mix is:

200 grams of henna
yogurt
1 egg
splash of lemon juice
raspberry tea
cinnamon 1 tbsp
honey 1 tbsp
few squirts of coconut oil
1 tsp of cloves

I know it sounds like i'm about to bake something with all of stuff I put in the last time, but I was really trying to get more red. I am happy with the results and may try paprika next time.

I use Nupur Henna, and added about 1 tbsp of cinnamon and used the Red Raspberry tea as the liquid instead of warm water. I kind of just slowly added the tea, until my mixture was creamy. My complete henna mix is:

200 grams of henna
yogurt
1 egg
splash of lemon juice
raspberry tea
cinnamon 1 tbsp
honey 1 tbsp
few squirts of coconut oil
1 tsp of cloves

I know it sounds like i'm about to bake something with all of stuff I put in the last time, but I was really trying to get more red. I am happy with the results and may try paprika next time.

Thank you!

Hey Pook I don't use Henna but I do use Aveda Color Conditioners.If you are looking for a non harmful way to get some red in your hair this might work for you. I use the clover one which keeps my hair dark brown and shiny. They make a red one that is called Madder Root which get's rave reviews. They also make deposit shampoos but I don't use those, IMO the conditioner is what is working to deposit the color.

Aveda Madder Root Color Conditioner Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

Again, it won't bleach your hair, but in the sunlight your hair will look red.

I recently put henna in my hair for the first time on Thanksgiving. Now my hair is a deep red, but thats because my hair was already dyed a coppery blond (pretty much orange) color. My mix:

Henna 80g*
Cassia 20g*
Lemon Juice

*Approximately

I didn't measure the lemon juice, just got it to a thick yet smoothable consistency.

Let it sit overnight from about 6pm to 9am (15 hrs).

Applied it to my hair and let it sit in for about 4 or 5 hours. Now it's red.

My roots were showing, cause my copper hair dye wasn't recent, so I still have black roots as it doesn't release any color on black.

I purchased my rajasthani henna and cassia from ayurnaturalbeautydotcom

And my hair is neck length i think (just cut it) and I was kind of short on my henna mix so you should adjust it to your length.

Hope I helped

Back