I want an afro without having a BC...

I want an afro without a BC...

• Yes, you can do it!

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No, you need to BC

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Platinum

I was thinking about removing my Kinky Twists this week. While thinking of style options until I get my hair braided or twisted again, the thought of an afro came to mind. I remember my mom saying how she used to make her hair into an afro back in the 70's (wet her hair with water, put lotion on it, then roll her hair with sponge rollers-*gasp*) I want to try this but I'm not sure if will work. I'm 21 weeks post (I was 13 weeks post in my siggy) so most of my hair is relaxed ends. My question is do you think it's possible to make my hair into an afro without the BC? Should I use sponge rollers like mom used to? If not, do you think small magnetic rollers or even perm rollers will work?

TIA

I have to agree with the other ladies on the perm rods suggestion. Definitely not the sponge rollers, as they'll more than likely deplete the moisture from your hair.

But if you do go the perm rods route, then use your fingers to separate the curls and see how that looks. If not the afro you're looking for, then maybe very lightly use a pick or a comb to make it into an afro. I've never done this, but I just bet it'll look so cute on you!! Good luck!

My mom told me in order to get her hair in the afro back in the seventies, she rolled her hair on small magentic rollers and she picked it out with a metal pic. She says it makes a curly fro.

Yeah, You can do it!

How long is your hair and how much new growth do you have?

Be sure to let us know which method you chose.
I have a 70's party in July and I might need to use your technique.

Thanks Vegas, Ciera, Tatiana, and Mook for the suggestions. Mook, I'm still wearing my Kinky's right now so I'm really not sure how much NG I have now (I guess my 3 inches?:ohwell: I have any where from 3/4 inch to 1 1/4 inch of NG since I got the twists, depending on what section of my hair). I think my hair is probably an inch to 1 1/2 inch longer than the pic in my siggy. I'm thinking about using the perm rods, magnetics, or a straw set. Hopefully I'll know before the end of the week.:wallbash:

I always wanted a afro when I had relaxed hair too. I used both methods. I think the perm rods gave me a smoother curl, that seperated very nicely. The sponge rollers dryed my hair out and my hair was frizzy when I seperated the curls.
I had a tighter curl with the sponge rollers, but I figure it depends on what size perm rods you use and how small you section your hair.

So, I guess I highly recomend the perm rods. I spritzed each roller with setting lotion after I rolled my hair.
Make sure your ends are smooth also or they will come out frizzy. You can use those perm rod papers, but I never could get the hang of it.
I seperated the curls with a little bit of curl activator on my fingers. I tryed other stuff but I would always lose my curls.
I also stuck a pick in my hair at the roots and giggled it up a little to give it some height.
HTH.

Back