I used way too much heat today

cocoadiva2

I dunno, today started off pretty good. I'm 11 weeks into my first stretch. Im trying for 12 weeks. I decided I'd do my Aphogee 2-step today. I spent most of the morning with my conditioner and cap on my head. So far so good.

When it came time to dry I just didnt know what to do. I sat under my hooded dryer til I was 80% dry, then out came the blow dryer for the last 20%. Now I have a big ole poof of hair. I've been doing braidouts and I'm sort of tired of them so, out came the Chi :sad:. Well, now its flat and lifeless...here comes the curling iron:wallbash:.

I'm really disappointed in myself because I hadnt used any direct heat since finding this board. I just dont know what happened today. I know that blowouts and the curling iron is what reversed me from shoulder length to my current neck-length. I think maybe I need to just throw out all my heating appliances until I truly learn to do without them.

Can one day of heat erase my couple months of effort? I hope not. :sad:

Sorry about what happened but the use of heat is not the problem but the lack of how to use it is. Plenty of ladies do the exact same thing you did but hair is still beautiful. Learn about how to use heat appliances correctly and what products you can use to help reduce any damage that may result.

I wish I would throw out my heat appliances, pulease I need all the heat tools and it's still healthy.

Your hair doesn't have to be limp and lifeless from a flat iron. You can bump your hair with your Chi as you go to reserve bounce and body.

You might want to try rollersetting if you don't want to use direct heat to straighten, but I don't think anything is wrong with a blowdry & flat iron every now and then. I flat-ironed my hair this morning.

^ITA! Rollersets are your friend :yep:

As long as you used a heat protectant and didn't go over your hair a thousand times, I doubt you did any serious damage today. Just make sure you give your hair a nice, long deep conditioning to show it you're sorry :giggle:

Thanks ladies. I will super deep condition my hair in a couple of days to apologize. I would have rollerset but Im 11 weeks post relaxer and its pretty thick in there. Rollersetting now is just way too tedious and I feel like i'm losing a lot of hair. I did use my chi heat protectant, so I'll stop
beating myself up.

I'm going to go back to my braidouts til its time to relax.

One day shouldn't set you back. I do agree that staying away from heat as much as possible=beautiful, healthy, and longer hair. :)

I think that heat-use should be pre-planned. It should be preceded by some serious conditioning and followed by more serious conditioning. You actually have done the pre-step by using an Aphogee treatment. In a couple of days, it would be a good idea to use a heavily-moisturizing treatment that preferable contains a protein ingredient. Follow that with a quality leave-in. Put your ends away in a protective style for at least the next week & make sure to moisturize and oil them before doing so. :up:

I think you'll be fine.

Back