I use heat frequently and my hair is still growing like a weed....

I don't use (or even have) Sabino Moisture Block, but using heat on my hair has not done anything bad for it. As a matter of fact, my hair seems to be growing pretty fast. If it's working for you, keep right on doing it. :up: I know I'm going to continue on with it. :)

Your hair looks so pretty Allandra! I love how thick your ends are. :yep:

How do you use the Salerm 21 and Sabino Moisture Block. I'm also wondering if I used these two, how could they be incorporated into a rollerset without using a flat iron. Thanks. I'm having hair issues.

Originally posted by Veejee
Your hair has grown so much Pinkskates! It is absolutely beautiful! You should be a model!:yep: I'm going back to natural for sure. My natural hair would've taken heat very well if I would've known about heat protectants instead of oil. :yep:

Thank you for that sweet compliment!:grin: Your hair texture is so pretty; And going back to natural you will have even stronger hair strands that will thrive even more. Good luck and be sure to post update pics!

Yeah, I just was on PinkPrincesses thread talking about this very subject. I do think heat is the bomb. I used to be scared of it, but now that I have embraced it, my hair is growing like a weed too. Thanks for the validation.

I used to think that I had to hide my hair or wear in protective style with no heat. Those days are gone and really didn't get me anywhere. Sad really to think you are trying to grow hair but can't ever expose the length. I'm glad I'm passed that.

I think everyone here can do it but the trick is to find the regimen and products to make it work for individual hair types.

How do you use the Salerm 21 and Sabino Moisture Block. I'm also wondering if I used these two, how could they be incorporated into a rollerset without using a flat iron. Thanks. I'm having hair issues.

After I rinse out my deep conditioner I put Salerm 21 in my hair but I try to not to get to happy because too much of it weighs my hair down. I aim for about a 1/2 dollar size amount on each side of hair (parted straight down the middle). Sabino Moisture Block "waterproofs" your hair and stops moisture from getting in, so they recommend a leave-in to keep the strands moisturized until your next shampoo. I apply the Sabino in sections very very lightly. It doesn't have any water in the ingredients so it is VERY concentrated. I have used too much before and I swear it looked like I flatironed with Blue Magic...lol. There is a lady here with very beautiful hair from Florida, I think, that did a rollerset with Sabino that came out beatifully. :grin: Let me know how it works for you! I love this combo for my hair. I'm going to update my Fotki starting in January 2009 so I can track my results every month.

Thank you for that sweet compliment!:grin: Your hair texture is so pretty; And going back to natural you will have even stronger hair strands that will thrive even more. Good luck and be sure to post update pics!

I'm going to start updating my Fotki in January 2009. I can't wait!!! :grin:

Good luck to all of you. I don't think I can do this. Heat - and me - and Chems - have NEVER gotten along..... :nono:

And it makes me so sad!!!

Yeah, I just was on PinkPrincesses thread talking about this very subject. I do think heat is the bomb. I used to be scared of it, but now that I have embraced it, my hair is growing like a weed too. Thanks for the validation.

I used to think that I had to hide my hair or wear in protective style with no heat. Those days are gone and really didn't get me anywhere. Sad really to think you are trying to grow hair but can't ever expose the length. I'm glad I'm passed that.

I think everyone here can do it but the trick is to find the regimen and products to make it work for individual hair types.
ITA i use to co wash every day and hide my hair like crazy because i was so paranoid but i refuse to believe hiding my hair all the time is the only way to grow it keep in mind im speaking for myself

I know that. :yep: When I say it's growing, I mean that I am accumulating length, not growing hair faster out of my head. :ohwell:

Most people know that what you are talking about is retention as opposed to growth. But in your title and posts you didn't say anything about retaining/accumulating length. It appeared as if you were saying heat and growth are related.

I just wanted to be clear because a newbie could read your title/posts and think using heat somehow affects growth rate, even though it doesn't. Most people know that, but obviously everybody doesn't.

Also, it's just a pet peeve of mine on the board when people refer to growth when they really mean retention. Sometimes, it can give the wrong idea about a method or product.

Last edited:
I thought so. I just grow so weary of all the sarcasm. But, if that makes people feel better....:look:

Maybe she isn't being sarcastic. Perhaps she has had set backs because of heat so that is why she made that comment. I too wish everyone well that chooses to use heat on a regular basis cause I know what can happens when you do but everyone's hair is different.

Last edited:
I know heat is supposed to be bad for you hair BUT my hair is still growing fast even with heat. :yep: I LOVE LOVE LOVE my flatiron (Red Chi Ultra) and I use it in Salerm 21 leave-in and Sabino Moisture Block. My hair is very strong (I have Native American grandparents - doesn't every black person...lol) and I don't have any split ends. I've been conditioning weekly with ORS and I sometimes use Tressemme' Anti-breakage (gelatin/keratin) to keep it strong but it's thriving still. I'm going all the way back to waist length with my flatiron in my hand. :grin: Has anyone experienced this!?

So? Show off.
Umm, so that anti-breakage...Imma pick that up right quick. :look:

I thought so. I just grow so weary of all the sarcasm. But, if that makes people feel better....:look:

I try very hard to be encouraging and not negative on posts. So - I am sorry that you took it that way.

I don't post much because I attempt to steer Clear of Drama.

Hey MSA, in my case my hair is getting LONGER with heat, so it is growing and I am retaining growth. In my case, heat and growth are buds.

As a newbie, you should be cautious. I have been learning about my natural 4bz hair for 6 years and tried a lot of stuff that didn't work for me.

One thing I do know, is that my hair is super moist after 2 years of 1 hour DC under a hood! So despite my heavy use of protein, my hair is super ready and LOVES blowdrying, coarse press and flat iron.

Most people know that what you are talking about is retention as opposed to growth. But in your title and posts you didn't say anything about retaining/accumulating length. It appeared as if you were saying heat and growth are related.

I just wanted to be clear because a newbie could read your title/posts and think using heat somehow affects growth rate, even though it doesn't. Most people know that, but obviously everybody doesn't.

Also, it's just a pet peeve of mine on the board when people refer to growth when they really mean retention. Sometimes, it can give the wrong idea about a method or product.

I think everyone here can do it but the trick is to find the regimen and products to make it work for individual hair types.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I'm newly subscribed, but have been lurking for a while and stopped using heat when I saw how negatively it was viewed here. I tried air-drying so many times and used so many products/methods trying to make it work. But it just wasnt for me. I didnt like the way my hair would turn out (constantly hard, crunchy, and dry.) And worse, my hair was breaking from airdrying. I was constantly telling myself "But this is supposed to be BETTER than using heat. Don't..use..heat!!!" But it just wasnt working as well as I would hope. I wasn't happy with the results, which was affecting my confidence. I'm proud of my hair growth and want to show it every now and then :yep:

Believe me, I caused enough damage to my hair pre-LHCF by misusing heat. Since learning about leave-in conditioners, heat protectant, moisturizer, turning down the blowdrier/flat iron, and not over-using heat appliances, I'm learning how to make heat work FOR my hair, rather than against it.

I'm still in my trial and error faze with air-drying and I hope to one day be able to get a better handle on that as well so I can open up new options for styling. I'm just all for everyone finding what works best for them and their hair health.

I've been using heat on my NG weekly for about 1.5 months! I rollerset and then straighten the NG with my flat iron after every wash & DC. This method keeps my NG soft and moist and allows me to retain more length because the hair does not get tangled. Im 18 weeks post and stretching has never been this easy!

That means that I hope that all of the ladies here have Great success with this method. I am a Chicken, and probably will still flat iron only 2x a year.:look:
Put me at about 16x by this time next year if I follow through with my new regi:look: I figure theres nothing much to loose at this point. Single strand knots and splits from my own natural hair or possible breakage from heat. I'll take the plunge:perplexed If anything Ill just be still at APL regardless.

I try very hard to be encouraging and not negative on posts. So - I am sorry that you took it that way.

I don't post much because I attempt to steer Clear of Drama.

I could tell you were just encouraging us. One of your previous posts said you wish you COULD use heat, but it doesnt work well for you. I think its just a case of words being misinterpreted. I'm sure mizzdebbi didnt mean anything by it. Especially now that you clarified what you meant.

Keep posting! I always enjoy hearing from you!

Put me at about 16x by this time next year if I follow through with my new regi:look: I figure theres nothing much to loose at this point. Single strand knots and splits from my own natural hair or possible breakage from heat. I'll take the plunge:perplexed If anything Ill just be still at APL regardless.

ITA! When I didn't use heat out of fear and lack of knowledge I had problems with knots! I don't have that now that I straighten. I have used heat unresponsibly for a long time until I came here and learned a few things. Now I feel like I have it down but I wouldn't go and tell everyone to do it because you really have to know what you're doing to use it on a regular basis and be ok. But I will say if you have the right products/tools there is nothing to fear. I say this all the time if some women who regularly relax their hair can have BSL hair then so can I as a natural with heat. I mean come on a flat iron is not the worst thing you can do to your hair!

I LOVE my SEDU and SABINO MOISTURE BLOCK!!!

Hey MSA, in my case my hair is getting LONGER with heat, so it is growing and I am retaining growth. In my case, heat and growth are buds.

As a newbie, you should be cautious. I have been learning about my natural 4bz hair for 6 years and tried a lot of stuff that didn't work for me.

One thing I do know, is that my hair is super moist after 2 years of 1 hour DC under a hood! So despite my heavy use of protein, my hair is super ready and LOVES blowdrying, coarse press and flat iron.

I was trying to be clear that using heat on the length of your hair does not affect your growth rate. Hair will still grow regardless of whether you flat iron/press/rollerset.

I agree that using heat is helps the retention rate for many people. It helps to keep your hair on your head when it's easier to detangle and maintain your hairstlye. If your ends aren't splitting or breaking off or needing to be trimmed because you use heat, then it is helping you to retain what you grow. In that case it may appear that your hair is growing faster/more because you are actually keeping more hair on your head than you would otherwise.

To say "I use heat frequently and my hair is still growing like a weed" or that "my hair is getting longer with heat" can imply that it's the heat usage that is causing your hair to grow when in fact it's heat usage that is helping you to retain what you grow.

I hope that's clear.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been stated or not, but I think frequent use of direct heat works wonders on natural hair while not so much on relaxed hair.

I don't know if this has been stated or not, but I think frequent use of direct heat works wonders on natural hair while not so much on relaxed hair.

Thats definitely true in my case. I'm transitioning, so I dont have a FULL head of natural hair to work with, but I have 3+ inches of natural hair and about 3 inches of relaxed hair. My natural hair responds so well to direct heat as long as I use the correct products and temperature, but I have to be super careful and pay extra attention to the relaxed ends if I use heat on them. They will not hesitate to "leave" if they are not pleased :yep:

Back