I tried to hold off on this, but I just have to vent

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I unwillingly went to a stylist at a local Paul Mitchell School a couple of weeks ago. I had to get my hair "professionally" done for a certain event, so my sorors and I had to go to this guy and his "team" of stylists at that salon school. Well, I had already washed and conditioned my hair at home, so when I got there all this lady had to do was rinse out the conditioner and get to styling.

Mind you, I have over 5 months of new growth, so detangling was a bit of a hassle before since she doesn't know how to deal with ethnic natural hair (even though she's Black). After detangling, this woman grabs the blow dryer so that she could blow dry my hair! I stopped her in her tracks and said "aren't you going to use a heat protectant...a leave-in...something?" And she said "oh, ok....well, these Paul Mitchell
Gloss Drops would be good."
After blow-drying, she flat-ironed my hair, and I surely did ask for more heat protection. I asked her for the Super Skinny Serum, and she asked me how I knew about that. I told her that I've used plenty of Paul Mitchell products before (it's the PJ in me). But anyway, she didn't even know how to curl my hair with the flat-iron; I kept having to get up and show her how to do it. She kept going over the same piece of hair over and over again with the flat-iron because it wouldn't curl right. I told her to stop and not worry about it because that piece of hair would blend with the rest when I comb it. Did she stop? NO! She says "I just wanna get it right...ok, there it goes." Dummy.

When she was done, my hair did look great, but I could have EASILY done that by myself without any trouble. Not to mention it sweated out later that night. Crazy girl with paper thin hair getting happy because the flat-iron was smoking...she thought it was a good thing :confused:. This is why I don't go to stylist, and if I ever have to (for whatever reason), she's going to have to be worth it.

Ok, I'm done...thanks for listening you guys.

ETA: The pics in my siggy are pics of flat-ironed hair that I did...not the job of the stylist.

Last edited:
If it was anyone else they would have had alot of damage because she would have kept going over that same spot. I'm glad you spoke up for your hair. I don't go to stylist either and I think they're happy about it.

wow, your hair really turned out pretty - just sorry you had to go through salon-drama.

eta: was so fixated on the pics i didn't notice that's your handiwork :)

i'm d'uh today sorry - back to fotki stalkin!

Last edited:
Wow, what an idiot. And to think she had the nerve to ask you how you knew about the Super Skinny serum. Newsflash: we are not stupid. Having a cosmetician's license doesn't mean you know anymore about hair than someone who does not. It's very easy for some people to get them these days.

Well you did a darn good job yourself, Love your thickness and shine.
This why I don't go to stylist, and even though I went yesterday it took forever for me to finally give her a play, and over that time I constantly let her know that I DO NOT use blowfryers or flatirons. She always said okay it will be fine I can rollerset it no problem. So it does pay to let them know what you do and don't do/want.

Even though I bleed crimson & cream your siggy made me smile...:D OO-OOP!

More and more I'm starting to believe that stylists (that DON'T belong to this board) are clueless...

Last edited:
LynnieB said:
wow, your hair really turned out pretty - just sorry you had to go through salon-drama.

eta: was so fixated on the pics i didn't notice that's your handiwork :)

i'm d'uh today sorry - back to fotki stalkin!

Girl, stop apologizing.

I'm glad up spoke up for yourself. As far as product knowledge goes you can look up just about any product info online. :cool: Keep doing what you do, your hair looks great.

TSUprincess04 said:
After detangling, this woman grabs the blow dryer so that she could blow dry my hair! I stopped her in her tracks and said "aren't you going to use a heat protectant...a leave-in...something?"

I have no problem hopping out of a chair when my stylist gets in a zone rotating folks in and out of her chair (due to her over booking). I have to gently remind her *I* don't do (blowdryer, hairspray, or goopy styling product).
I only get 1/2 inch growth on good month. Best believe I am going to do whatever I need to to hold on to it. Most stylists either don't know or don't care.

(Go Soror!)

(Shameless plug)
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. - 99 Years of Service-- Countdown to Centennial 2008 :yay: (AGW via S Fall 96 #2)

UHM, UHM, UHM stylists I could make a book about all the bad experiences I have had with them. Anyway TSUprincess04 and Whipeffects yalls hair is banging so shiny, healthy and full. Lovin it;) .

TSUprincess04 said:
I unwillingly went to a stylist at a local Paul Mitchell School a couple of weeks ago. I had to get my hair "professionally" done for a certain event, so my sorors and I had to go to this guy and his "team" of stylists at that salon school. Well, I had already washed and conditioned my hair at home, so when I got there all this lady had to do was rinse out the conditioner and get to styling.

Mind you, I have over 5 months of new growth, so detangling was a bit of a hassle before since she doesn't know how to deal with ethnic natural hair (even though she's Black). After detangling, this woman grabs the blow dryer so that she could blow dry my hair! I stopped her in her tracks and said "aren't you going to use a heat protectant...a leave-in...something?" And she said "oh, ok....well, these Paul Mitchell
Gloss Drops would be good."
After blow-drying, she flat-ironed my hair, and I surely did ask for more heat protection. I asked her for the Super Skinny Serum, and she asked me how I knew about that. I told her that I've used plenty of Paul Mitchell products before (it's the PJ in me). But anyway, she didn't even know how to curl my hair with the flat-iron; I kept having to get up and show her how to do it. She kept going over the same piece of hair over and over again with the flat-iron because it wouldn't curl right. I told her to stop and not worry about it because that piece of hair would blend with the rest when I comb it. Did she stop? NO! She says "I just wanna get it right...ok, there it goes." Dummy.

When she was done, my hair did look great, but I could have EASILY done that by myself without any trouble. Not to mention it sweated out later that night. Crazy girl with paper thin hair getting happy because the flat-iron was smoking...she thought it was a good thing :confused:. This is why I don't go to stylist, and if I ever have to (for whatever reason), she's going to have to be worth it.

Ok, I'm done...thanks for listening you guys.

ETA: The pics in my siggy are pics of flat-ironed hair that I did...not the job of the stylist.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. But I'm glad you spoke up. Some people just let stylists do whatever to their hair and then just vow never to go back to them. The damage could already be done by then.

It's good that you spoke up. I need to start doing that, I think I'm just too polite.

Congrats on crossing!!!! :yay:

Hey TSUPrincess-- your hair looks so nice in your siggy.

BTW- Skee-Wee soror and congrats for crossing over!! :grin:

Back