I Took A Braid Today...

Soude

and it was cool and all...

BUT, there was some weirdness at the root of the braid after I took the extension out. I sort of vaguely remember that happening once when I had braids in for like two months but that was two years ago and I don't remember how I deal with that. Back then I didn't really care about my hair and I was more concerned about how my laziness lead to half my bangs being 2-3 inches and the other side 4-5 inches.

But yeah, I realized that I probably don't know how to properly take braids down and what to do about the grossness that happens at the braid root. I didn't realize that using product could cause that buildup but I've got to deal with it on Friday (so glad I took one down today because I would be bawling if I had to deal with it all with no advice form you gurus).

So, to summarize, what's the best way to take down box braids that have been in for 2.5 months and deal with buildup and detangling?

Last edited:
In all my years of wearing braids I never had to deal with matting because I detangled very well after taking them out (some sets I wore for 4 months).

Basically what I did was after taking out a braid I would separate the hair with my fingers and get all that build up loosened up. Then I would spray a bit of braid spray on and comb through the hair, making sure the root was clear of buildup and it didn't get stuck anywhere else in the hair. After I took out enough braids and detangled, I'd make a big braid and move on. By the time I finished, all my hair was detangled. Putting some oil or conditioner on at that point and letting it sit for a while before washing was also good and makes the wash process much easier.

Hi Soude!
I just removed my kinky twist this past weekend and had buildup around my roots as well, you definately do not want to rush or get your hair wet....to avoid shed and unshed hair tangling and therfore breaking....
I detangled the roots with Coconut/Olive oil mix after letting it sit for about 30 min and used a comb with metal attachments...No breakage at all. I'm sure more pros will chime in. Good luck :)

I follow the method of the growafrohairlong lady. The most important thing is give yourself TIME. If you rush, your hair will break. For that matter, don't allow people who are impatient to help you. I now just do it myself, coz some family members tug and pull the braid out. Uh-uh! For the itty bitty knots, I'll use a small toothpick or the sharp end of a floss pick. I take my time doing this, and if I'm tired I stop.

Back